Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Kodak still manufactures film, though it is a company called Kodak Alaris now. What they are not going to do is manufacture their own cellulose acetate anymore.

Kodak Alaris and Lomography join forces to keep film production going | Digital Trends

Kodak To Reportedly Stop Acetate Production For Film | Popular Photography
Boris, you are just a living photography encyclopedia.

04-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Makes no sense to me.

What's the problem?
Attached Images

04-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #63

It is not so easy to stand against Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fujifilm, Panasonic, Samsung etc. plus the FF's become quickly cheaper! Ricoh/Pentax will have to SELL in higher numbers! This is the only way to get a return of investment. So they will be forced (for the time beeing) to run 2 lines - Pentax for the specialized high end DSLR's and Ricoh for the cheaper units which can be sold in higher numbers but will profit from the quality name "Pentax". To merge the 2 names together makes this way sense. However I see more risks for the cheaper cameras, they get more and more competition from cellphone cameras, they get better and better! By the way, many world class names vanished in no time! Do you remember IBM? Ciba Geigy? Sandoz? etc.
04-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #64
Veteran Member

I am with the OP....

as soon as Ricoh stop using PENTAX name, I will probably leave PENTAX.
probably to Fuji system...

They need to realize there is a strong following of PENTAX.

04-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Will you kindly send me your 67II?
04-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
.... as soon as Ricoh stop using PENTAX name, I will probably leave PENTAX.

Then:

Now:

04-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Will you kindly send me your 67II?
nope. keeping the film PENTAX.
probably not staying with PENTAX with their digital. Fuji seems to have similar offering system with a smaller body and their own uniqueness.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Ricoh (always wanted the GR), but there is a special place about PENTAX. I think is what the OP felt as well.

Some don't mind Ricoh to change the name, some mind, we are all expressing our opinion and feeling about a brand.
whether Ricoh think is important to keep PENTAX name to keep this following, is their choice.

No need to force other to follow your opinion and make fun of others opinion.

I have yet to purchase anything came out since Ricoh take over, but I liked what I see so far what they have done in GR, K3, and 645z. But don't like what they done with the new HD DA limited (cheap feeling with those engraving). will see.

04-19-2014, 04:57 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fuji seems to have similar offering system with a smaller body and their own uniqueness.
Few here perceive that Fuji is the competition for Pentax.
04-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Few here perceive that Fuji is the competition for Pentax.
love the way you try to represent everyone here.

no need to pull others in to support your view, you can freely express your view even if you are the only one with that view.

peace.
04-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

love the way you try to represent everyone here.

no need to pull others in to support your view, you can freely express your view even if you are the only one with that view.

peace.
Uhmm, not sure I was clear in my comment that I agree with you about Fuji, but I'm too invested in Pentax lenses to do anything about it. II'd love to see a Moderator's view of my Ignore List.
04-19-2014, 08:24 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Uhmm, not sure I was clear in my comment that I agree with you about Fuji, but I'm too invested in Pentax lenses to do anything about it. II'd love to see a Moderator's view of my Ignore List.
will it include me?

I also probably have too many pentax glass to move.

take it easy! peace.

going out shooting. you have a great weekend!
04-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #72

Photos: Gallery
I feel deeply invested in the Pentax system and its philosophy. But not neccesarily to involved in the brand. I hope, and it looks like it will, continue to live on - which is good. But if there would be a changs in the naming convention wouldnt probably bother me that much.
04-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really don't understand the big deal. Pentax is a name. The question is the glass that I (we) use going to continue to be supported in such a way that we can take the photos that we want. Pentax has only been a brand (not a company) since Hoya bought it. But isn't the goal to take photos? At this point, Pentax is the only company making (and fully supporting) k mount lenses like the DA limiteds and the FA limiteds, meaning they can rest easy from my stand point.

(obligatory DA 15 limited photo).

04-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DuyNguyen Quote
anyway my thread may be criticized about "name brand" a little bit but as i said Ricoh please do not sink the Pentax name down as Sony did to Minolta
I think the Sony/Minolta situation was quite different than the Ricoh/Pentax merger. For one thing, and I speak as someone with salesperson experience, Minolta had such a poor reputation that Sony had to kill it. I'm still bewildered how no one filed a class-action lawsuit against Minolta for their egregiously nefarious decision to use a known-to-be-faulty aperture control system for years and years. All the while getting $177 (their flat fee for any repair) for repairing it. If you know anyone who owned a Minolta Maxxum with a plastic lens mount, they've more than likely had it fail which resulted in the viewfinder going dark because the aperture-control mechanism on the body broke due to its poor and cheap design.

However, with Pentax, Ricoh has acquired a brand that, yes is seen as an underdog, and to some extent a "sleeper" camera, it delivers better bang-for-the-buck performance than any of its rivals. Which, for most, is why you own one in the first place. Now if Ricoh could only figure out a way to successfully get that across to the masses and they'd start to chew away at the dominance in market share held by Canikon. And of course this is important because Ricoh would then be able to justify additional investments into R&D and expand the product line without having to introduce a $350 slide duplicator for $1,200. But that's just my $.02.
04-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #75
Veteran Member

It does not bother me at all if Ricoh chooses to take Pentax as a brand only and keep putting R&D money into improving it and extend the life of k-mount camera and lenses. In fact if Canikony can produce a camera like the K-5 and K-3 series with great ergonomics and support k-mount lenses, I will go for that if it represents better value for the money. It would be super nice if it is a "Pentax" though but I am not too crazy about blind loyalty.