Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #76

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I really don't understand the big deal. Pentax is a name. The question is the glass that I (we) use going to continue to be supported in such a way that we can take the photos that we want. Pentax has only been a brand (not a company) since Hoya bought it. But isn't the goal to take photos? At this point, Pentax is the only company making (and fully supporting) k mount lenses like the DA limiteds and the FA limiteds, meaning they can rest easy from my stand point.

(obligatory DA 15 limited photo).

Like the shot!

04-21-2014, 04:48 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
I think the Sony/Minolta situation was quite different than the Ricoh/Pentax merger. For one thing, and I speak as someone with salesperson experience, Minolta had such a poor reputation that Sony had to kill it. I'm still bewildered how no one filed a class-action lawsuit against Minolta for their egregiously nefarious decision to use a known-to-be-faulty aperture control system for years and years. All the while getting $177 (their flat fee for any repair) for repairing it. If you know anyone who owned a Minolta Maxxum with a plastic lens mount, they've more than likely had it fail which resulted in the viewfinder going dark because the aperture-control mechanism on the body broke due to its poor and cheap design.

However, with Pentax, Ricoh has acquired a brand that, yes is seen as an underdog, and to some extent a "sleeper" camera, it delivers better bang-for-the-buck performance than any of its rivals. Which, for most, is why you own one in the first place. Now if Ricoh could only figure out a way to successfully get that across to the masses and they'd start to chew away at the dominance in market share held by Canikon. And of course this is important because Ricoh would then be able to justify additional investments into R&D and expand the product line without having to introduce a $350 slide duplicator for $1,200. But that's just my $.02.
My sentiments exactly - best bang for the buck. For those who want full frame for landscape and studio work - the 645z also provides the best bang for the buck - albeit more buck than I want to spend.

Thanks to Ricoh for breathing new life into the k mount camera with the K-3, 1.4TC, etc. My main outstanding wish is for more third party lens support but I feel that will come with success of Pentax thanks to Ricoh.

The label/brand on the camera is not important to me, the feeling that the lenses I have will work on current and future cameras is important to me, the sense that future lenses will work on my existing cameras is important to me, the confidence that new technology will be incorporated into new cameras and lenses compatible with my current camera equipment is important to me, and the that this will be done in an affordable way designed for the camera enthusiast versus the professional is important to me.