Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why I like Pentax is the backwards capability of the the K mount, when i first bought the K1000 years ago I had no idea of Brand and or SLR cameras, but over the years I learnt more and it is the combination of the fine engineering and optics that has kept me with the brand. Ricoh has a shared history with the K mount and if they keep the K mount evolving and compatibility, will stick with them Ricoh or Pentax or horse with another name. 2cents.

04-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DuyNguyen Quote
...as i said Ricoh please do not sink the Pentax name down as Sony did to Minolta . Happy Easter everyone
That was a different story. Sony bought the Minolta operations but they were not allowed the use of the name.
I don't know if they'd use it if they were allowed, but that is besides the point. Sony had no option there, they had to rename the cameras Sony due to legal arrangements. Konica Minolta stayed in the copier business.

Regarding RIcoh/Pentax, this has come by so many times now, it's a bit of a dead issue... Ricoh has kept the Pentax brand, which was always just a brand, as people mentioned here. Only in 2002-2006 was there ever a company called Pentax. Before that Pentax was a brand of Asahi, and after that it was a brand of Hoya and Ricoh. I guess Pentax being its own company would be the recipe for its demise and that almost happened, so I'm just happy to see it stay around and release great products. I have a good feeling about the future, I'm sure full frame is just around the corner so things are looking up. Long live Pentax! And good on Ricoh for keeping the brand around and building on it.
04-17-2014, 07:29 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Regarding RIcoh/Pentax, this has come by so many times now, it's a bit of a dead issue.
Come on kick the tin around again.
04-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K mount is far more important to me than the brand name. If Pentax had remained Pentax, but ditched the k mount -- a la Olympus or, Sony, or, Canon -- I would have been upset. If Pentax had remained Pentax, but ditched digital camera operations, I would have been upset as well.

It isn't even as though Pentax "sold its soul." It was purchased in a hostile take over, divided and sold again. Somehow, despite all the down times, I can see good times ahead with Ricoh at the helm and that pleases me.

04-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Obviously it continues to bother people. And I think it's dumb to make fun of those people, because there is a point. Just imagine the same thing happening to a brand with a more substantial user base, like Nikon. Imagine the Mitsubishi Group demoting Nikon corp to a mere product line of Mitsubishi. That would certainly stir things up! And that's not so strange. Why are they allowed to have that pride and Pentaxians aren't?
04-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
You don't like seeing PENTAX on the front now?
I LOVE having PENTAX on the front! I just don't like that newfangled rendition of it. It's oogly!
04-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #37
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Obviously it continues to bother people. And I think it's dumb to make fun of those people, because there is a point. Just imagine the same thing happening to a brand with a more substantial user base, like Nikon. Imagine the Mitsubishi Group demoting Nikon corp to a mere product line of Mitsubishi. That would certainly stir things up! And that's not so strange. Why are they allowed to have that pride and Pentaxians aren't?
This.

HOWEVER - I wouldn't mind if they went back to the old-school logo and and put "RICOH PENTAX" on the front like "ASAHI PENTAX" on the old cameras, or "HONEYWELL PENTAX" on the even older still cameras.

But to see the Pentax name disappear entirely...my jimmies would be rustled for sure. Like others have said, it's the K-mount that's most important to me...but I like the name as well.

04-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Brand loyalty is overrated in Pentax's case. ...
I think brand loyalty is overrated in any case.

The minute a camera (or car, or computer, or cell phone) company pays me, instead of the other way around, is when i become loyal.
04-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I think brand loyalty is overrated in any case.

The minute a camera (or car, or computer, or cell phone) company pays me, instead of the other way around, is when i become loyal.
Cmt of the day happy shooting everyone
04-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
The difference is that Nikon historically was a company. Pentax historically was a brand.

There can still be brand loyalty. Here in the US there's a lot of Mustang and Camaro fanatics. Those are just brands.

Also, it's a moot point because Ricoh said they'll keep the Pentax name on the ILCs and so far they have been doing that. So this is just worry about something that could happen. You know, the world could also end tomorrow, but I'm not going to lose sleep on what hasn't happened yet.
04-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The difference is that Nikon historically was a company. Pentax historically was a brand.
Nikon did not become the Nikon Corporation until 1988. Before that it was Nippon Kōgaku Kōgyō Kabushikigaisha (Japan Optical Industries Co., Ltd), founded in 1917. The Nikon brand of cameras dates to 1947. It's a merging of Nippon and Ikon. (Pentax is a merging of Pentaprism and Contax, originally trademarked by Zeiss Ikon).

The Nikkor brand dates back to the 1930s. It's a westernized version of Nikkō. From 1963 to 1968 the Nikon F was branded Nikkor.

They also used the Joico brand for microscopes.

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-17-2014 at 08:58 AM.
04-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually, PENTAX is PENTAprism refleX.
04-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #43
Veteran Member

We'll be talking about this same topic 10 years from now. It will never get old!
04-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #44
Site Supporter

Has Full Frame entered this topic yet?
04-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many moons ago, my first camera was a Ricoh XR2s. Kind of a poor man's K2DMD. While it served me well, and it still works, it was not as solid as the pentax bodies it competed against.

As long as the cameras remain under the design control of the pentax team,and do not fall into just the bottom end of the spectrum, I could care less what name is on it.