Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Actually, PENTAX is PENTAprism refleX.
QuoteQuote:
In 1952 Asahi Optical introduced its first camera, the Asahiflex (the first Japanese SLR using 35mm film). The name "Pentax" was originally a registered trademark of the East German VEB Zeiss Ikon (from "Pentaprism" and "Contax") but, as all Germans patents were annulled with the country's defeat, the name "Pentax" was taken by the Asahi Optical company in 1957.
Except in countries that continued to recognize pre-war German trademarks, like South Africa.

Pentacon has similar origins. (PENTAprism - CONtax).

04-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Obviously it continues to bother people. And I think it's dumb to make fun of those people, because there is a point. Just imagine the same thing happening to a brand with a more substantial user base, like Nikon. Imagine the Mitsubishi Group demoting Nikon corp to a mere product line of Mitsubishi. That would certainly stir things up! And that's not so strange. Why are they allowed to have that pride and Pentaxians aren't?
Actually, If I owned Nikon gear, and Mitsubishi "demoted" it to a product line, as long as they continued to crank out good gear that suited my needs, I personally wouldn't care.
04-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the brand continues to enjoy positive recognition it is likely Ricoh will continue to use it, as they continue to use Savin in copiers. If Pentax ever loses context or positive name association it will be replaced.

I have had one business telephone number in 27 years - but 11 different corporate brand names through 9 different acquisitions or mergers (on both the buy and sell sides) during that time - without changing employers.

I can tell you with some authority that brand names (my company name is my brand name) are changed when brand owners decide they are better served by changing them; that is often a decision of sacrificing a number of customers in the interest of saving, pleasing or acquiring a larger or more valuable number of customers.

My customers regularly tell me they do business with me. They don't care what name is on the stationery or what color the ink is. If the day ever comes that I can no longer do the things for my customers here that I need to do for my customers, and I can do those things at some other company, then I will change firms. And the new firm will be quite happy to write me a significantly large check - a life-alteringly large check - just to have the privilege to put their brand name on my business card.

My current company knows about the other guys. Therefore they continue to provide me the tools and resources necessary to do the things I need to do for my customers.

IMHO Ricoh knows the value of Pentax.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-17-2014 at 01:00 PM.
04-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Volvo244T Quote
on the front like "ASAHI PENTAX" on the old cameras, or "HONEYWELL PENTAX" on the even older still cameras.
Huh? The Honeywell versions are the same age or younger than the Asahi labeled cameras. Honeywell was the importer/distributor for the U.S. and several other countries and labeled the camera with either their name or their Heiland subsidiary.

Steve

04-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DuyNguyen Quote
@Tanzer
First, as i said i would love to share my opinion not bringing up a argument.
Second, "forgiven"? Didn't I make my self clear? I ASK what people think of this changes, never said a things about Pentax nor Ricoh products being bad but their marketing tactics.
I think I may have expressed myself wrong. Don't take my comment as a personal attack.

All I meant was that this has been a topic of much pointless debate recently, which you wouldn't have known, being relatively new here.

And now another 4 pages, in no time at all, I think you can see where this is going.
04-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Huh? The Honeywell versions are the same age or younger than the Asahi labeled cameras. Honeywell was the importer/distributor for the U.S. and several other countries and labeled the camera with either their name or their Heiland subsidiary.

Steve
Honeywell was the US importer until 1976. Then the K series had Asahi on them.
04-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #52
Veteran Member

What do I think? I think "Pentax" is not an identifier of any entity (besides the now unrelated "Pentax Medical Company" still under Hoya), but a label encompassing a range of products and technologies for marketing purposes, i.e. a "brand".

And I like where the "Ricoh Imaging Company" is going in terms of products more than I liked where "Pentax Imaging Systems" was going under Hoya in the later years.

Last edited by Cannikin; 04-17-2014 at 03:50 PM.
04-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
besides the now unrelated "Pentax Medical Company" still under Hoya
Don't forget TI Asahi surveying instruments and Seiko Optical Products. Both companies also sell products under the Pentax name.

Steve
04-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Isn't this old news from last year?

On a different note. Does this mean the MX-1 is / was the last "Pentax" of its kind. A new "rare classic" that will be "highly sought after"?

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 04-17-2014 at 09:18 PM.
04-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Very Successful Rationalization

QuoteOriginally posted by DuyNguyen Quote
Yes, yes, yes...we get it Ricoh. You bought out Pentax, rolled out the incredible K3. Big deal, but please look what you have done. I know i might be not the most Pentax supporter, but i must be one of the proudest Pentaxian out there.. As a Pentaxian we proud to hold a Pentax DSLR,SLR,lenses,ect... why did you have to take the name Pentax down ? Does it for the "...more consumer market share..." that you aiming. Well i telling you that you're not doing it right, Then the HD DA Limiteds ? Was it because you running low on inks and materials to put your big@ss Ricoh name on the box ? These few word i wrote after a trip to my local camera store, please bring the name Pentax back it got its own soul and pride.
As has been said, this topic has been broached before. Unfortunately for Pentax, and fortunately for Ricoh, nobody really gives a hoot. And the people on this ricohf...(ooops) pentaxforums are quite good at rationalizing and letting everyone know that they really could care less.

Sooo, Pentax as we have known it is gone now. All things eventually change and Pentax is now simply a brand owned by Ricoh. Do I like it? Absolutely no! But it is what it is.

But, do feel free to join us at Why I Won't Buy a K3. In my not so humble opinion it has turned out to be one of the best threads in this entire forum.
04-18-2014, 03:28 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
as long as they keep making affordable k mount cameras with great features, i don't care what name they slap on them
I don't mind Ricoh putting their name on Pentax cameras in a discreet location but if you don't care what name they slap on them you could be using
a camera with a name like this. Yes it's genuine!
Glenn
Attached Images

04-18-2014, 05:10 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, my first K-Mount camera was the Ricoh XRM. I thought that they were pretty awesome critters. Still have em. Kodak film is no longer made by Kodak either. Whoed a thunk that!
04-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well, my first K-Mount camera was the Ricoh XRM. I thought that they were pretty awesome critters. Still have em. Kodak film is no longer made by Kodak either. Whoed a thunk that!
Who makes it now? Good move I'd say, Ektar and Portra are some of the best films around, probably best color negative available today IMHO.
04-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Who makes it now? Good move I'd say, Ektar and Portra are some of the best films around, probably best color negative available today IMHO.
Kodak still manufactures film, though it is a company called Kodak Alaris now. What they are not going to do is manufacture their own cellulose acetate anymore.

Kodak Alaris and Lomography join forces to keep film production going | Digital Trends

Kodak To Reportedly Stop Acetate Production For Film | Popular Photography
04-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
I don't mind Ricoh putting their name on Pentax cameras in a discreet location but if you don't care what name they slap on them you could be using
a camera with a name like this. Yes it's genuine!
Glenn
i know it's genuine, i used to own one. :P