Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Several "How to" questions...

Just got my K100D few days ago and it's my first DSLR, I am a bit nervous when change the lenses, put in the bag or even holding it sometimes... I guess I'll get over it in the few days, hopefully...

I have few beginner questions about how to treat DSLR...

1. When I put in my camera bag (the Pentax one that came with my K100D), how should I put the camera? Lens facing down and LCD facing up? or?

2. How about lens? Which side facing up or down?

3. Where do you guys put your camera at home when not using it? just in the camera bag? or anything I can do to protec it more? I live in Montreal, the indoor heat is on all the time, so it should be pretty dry...

4. Is it okay to keep the tripod seat on the camera all the time?

5. What should I be careful when change lens outdoor? or I should just avoid doing that? @_@

Thx for the help...

01-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

A camera bag came with your k100d? I never got one.....
When you change lenses, hold the cameralens hole down as not to get dust in it. Place the lenses with the front lens cap up, that way the cap doesn't come off if the tabs accidentally get pushed it and release the cap.......
01-24-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Teko Quote
1. When I put in my camera bag (the Pentax one that came with my K100D), how should I put the camera? Lens facing down and LCD facing up? or?
Mine didn't come with a bag, but I've got a Lowepro topload bag in which you place the camera lens down. Then you just have to reach in and pick it up by the grip, ready to shoot.

QuoteQuote:
Do you mean when storing it off the camera? If so, I think that's entirely your own judgement depending on how you take them out of the bag, or if you're putting them on a shelf, etc. I tend to put mine front down in the bag, so I take them out, pop off the rear cap, and stick them on the camera with a minimum of fumbling.

QuoteQuote:
3. Where do you guys put your camera at home when not using it? just in the camera bag? or anything I can do to protec it more? I live in Montreal, the indoor heat is on all the time, so it should be pretty dry...
Mine lives in the bag, on the floor, out of the way, so I won't trip on it, knock it down, or otherwise abuse it. I keep meaning to get some packets of silicon (the kind you can dry out and reuse) for the more humid parts of the year, but it's never been a problem here (NS/NB) so I've not got around to it.

QuoteQuote:
I hope so, 'cause mine's usually on. That's what it's for, isn't it?

QuoteQuote:
5. What should I be careful when change lens outdoor? or I should just avoid doing that? @_@
Tips I've heard, absorbed, and sometimes actually follow: face the camera down so dirt is less likely to get in, shelter it as well as you can from wind, use a blower to puff off the rear lens element before mounting. You will get dirt on your sensor eventually, whether you change lenses or not, so learn to deal with it. Get a blower - it just takes a quick puff to get most crud off.

I hope you get over the shiny-new-camera syndrome soon and get shooting! It's a great camera, you'll love it.

Julie
01-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just got my K100D few days ago and it's my first DSLR, I am a bit nervous when change the lenses, put in the bag or even holding it sometimes... I guess I'll get over it in the few days, hopefully...

Thx for the help...
1. Doesn't matter, it is a function of space saving. I use a Lowepro Slingshot and the camera is facing different directions when the bag is in different positions. Doesn't matter.

2. Same as 1.

3. Mine gets used a lot at home so it goes wherever I put it down, within reason. I obviously put it out of reach of my todler. Lenses get rotated from shelf to bag since there is not enough room in any one of my bags to hold all my lenses.

4. Yes. That's the whole point of quick release.

5. Just avoid doing it in the wind, especially if there is moisture or dust in the wind. I change lenses on location all the time. If it's windy I find a way to protect the camera during the change, like in the car, jacket over my hands, friends, etc.

01-24-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Thx for the help...
I am not pro but...

1) I usually place the camera on its bottom, but I am not sure how much it matters which way you do it.

2) shouldn't matter much.... I find most of the time I just keep the lens on the camera and put it in my bag.

3) I keep mine in my bag. away from direct heat is likely a good idea

4) I have done that in the past without any thing going wrong

5) I would follow what everyone else says.... but if possible I would go inside somewhere if avalible.... like in your car, or in a building. of course this might be inconvenient
I only have one good walk around lens so I don't have to worry about changing it.... I leave my lens on at all times.

hope this helps

randy
01-24-2007, 12:47 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thx everyone for the tips, I will try to upload the pic of the bag comes with my K100D, nothing fency~ Probably need to get a better bag myself because it doesn't even have a zipper to fully close the area you put your camera in...

The reason I asked for how we put camera in the bag because I used to put my camera as Lens facing up, but once I tried to take the camera out, I grabbed at the lens and the lens actually spin as you zoom in or zoom out the lens, glad I didn't use any force at the time, but my heart stops for few seconds... . I've also seen most picture of people's camera in bag that the lens are facing down.
01-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Teko,

Couple quick additions to what's been said.

The real question isn't how to change lenses outdoors, but how to changes lenses safely ANYWHERE. On a beautiful day with no wind and no dust, pollen, etc. in the air, changing outside will be much safer than, say, changing indoors if the air is full of dust or cigarette smoke. My mom is a chain smoker. I don't even like to take my camera into her house and I would never change lenses over there.

Re storing lenses and cameras: Lens mounts are pretty solid, but think carefully about how you grab the camera to pick it up. In order to avoid stressing the mount, I try not to lift the camera by the lens alone and I would not want to lift it by the body alone if I was using a very heavy lens. Because of the design of the bags I'm using, I generally put the camera (with short lens attached) into the bag lens down. But my bags are somewhat padded on the bottom and I treat the bags as if they were full of eggs anyway.

I'm also absolutely crazy about making sure that I always zip up the bag. I know that if I fail to do that, one day my wife or daughter will pick up the bag to move it and all the stuff inside will spill out on the floor. When I set my camera down anywhere, I make sure to wrap the neck strap carefully around the camera so there's as little chance as possible that someone will snag the lens strap by accident and pull the camera down.

In short: use common sense.

Will

01-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

My bag (a Quantaray Pro) has a "U"-shaped cut-out in a divider which allows the camera to sit flat, with a medium-sized lens attached and cradled in the "U". I was reluctant at first to use it that way after years of storing the bodies and lenses separately in my film days. However, I find that leaving a lens attached is convenient (though the chance of having the right lens is on it is inversely proportional to the number of lenses in the bag). I store my flash under the camera (with a foam shelf divider between them).
01-24-2007, 07:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hey Teko,

I may be repeating a lot of what has already been said.

QuoteQuote:
I put it in my lowepro lens side down.

QuoteQuote:
As long as the caps are on, either side should be ok. I prefer camera side down.
If no caps are on, camera side up. (have the bulb blower handy - dust)

QuoteQuote:
In my camera bag, beside my video equipment bag, under the bed.

QuoteQuote:
My current bag has no room, but if it did, I would keep it on.

QuoteQuote:
1. Keep a blower handy if you have no lens caps and keep the camera side of the lens up. If you decide to use that lens, blow out the dust on it well before taking the lens mounted on your camera off.
2. I put UV filters on my lenses. Handy when taking photos of all the kids in my family parties. Can't do this with my fisheye though.
3. When changing lenses, be in an area with minimal wind. Practice changing lenses with the camera facing down, holding the camera with right hand, use the "ring finger" of your right hand to push the lens change button in and change the lens with the left hand. I think the camera was designed that way and I found myself doing it this way by instinct. Someone in this forum pointed it out - you won't find it on any other d-slr.
01-24-2007, 08:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Practice changing lenses with the camera facing down, holding the camera with right hand, use the "ring finger" of your right hand to push the lens change button in and change the lens with the left hand. I think the camera was designed that way and I found myself doing it this way by instinct. Someone in this forum pointed it out - you won't find it on any other d-slr.
Alvin,

How does it work on other digital SLRs? On my old Nikon film camera, it works pretty much the way it works on my Pentax K100D, except that the button is on the other side of the lens mount, so hold the camera with your right hand, and use your left hand both to press in that button AND remove the lens. Is that what you were thinking of?

Will
01-24-2007, 09:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Alvin, I've got the same query as Will.

I don't consider myself particularly talented (although maybe I should. ), but I can get the lens off of any make of camera without having to cradle it, rest it on my bag/lap/counter, tie myself into a pretzel, etc. Perhaps you are right-- the Pentax set-up is remarkably intuitive--but be careful not to let your familiarity oversaturate your judgment. Some bias is certainly okay , but I had to make a conscious effort to familiarize myself with other systems, and find quirks, features, and the good, the bad, &the ugly about all. It is (was) my job, though.

Honestly, on this issue specifically--once you realize that Nikon lenses twist on in the opposite direction--you've cleared the hurdle.
01-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Actually I do it the same way as Alvin does to change the lenses...

This method is only possible with smaller primes. I could not change lenses like A*300 f2.8 using this method at all. Otherwise, normal primes can be easily changed following what Alvin suggested.

I do a lot of lumbar puncture at work (like pregnant women receiving epidural or spinal anaethetics). If you are right handed, your left hand can hold one lens, rotating the lens cap off by using left thumb and index finger while right hand handholding the camera body with right index finger pressing on the lens change button. While right index button pressing on the lens change button, retract the abdominal wall inwards with lens being tucked into it. Right hand can rotate the camera body to unhook the lens. Then Right hand will catch the lens while the left lens will quickly connect to the body.

Pentax camera lens change is actually a lot easier than my canon set up

01-24-2007, 10:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Sorry - didn't mean to confuse you guys. What I meant is that you can hold the camera really well using your index, middle finger and thumb to provide grip on the camera. The button on the right side combined with the grip really makes the lens changes so much easier

When I compare to Nikon and Canon, I can't hold the camera as good as I do the Pentax. There's just nothing to really hold onto. Have you tried doing this with a Rebel XT? I near well dropped it had it not been for the neck strap.

(Oh - Teko - unless you have the camera on a tripod, use the neck strap! LOL.)

Roentarre is right - I've only been able to pull this off with smaller zooms and primes. Shouldn't be doing this with lenses larger than a beer can (I gotta thank that guy who took that shot...I couldn't get Moosehead out of my head today)
01-24-2007, 11:53 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Alvin...

lol... you can't even imagine how nervous I am when I change lenses, I have to sit on a chair and put everything on my legs~ of course the neck strap is always on...

I will have to start practicing with camera facing down. and I'll have to start using the bulb blower~

BTW, how necessary is it to let a shop to clean the sensor? and how often?

Thx again...

Teko
01-25-2007, 01:57 AM   #15
Forum Member

I bought a black one of these Crumpler Products Page
I have had a Lowepro snout bag for years but I find this Crumpler has more room and I don't feel like I'm walking around with a dedicated camera bag, my snout bag would sometimes flip over with the weight and used to s**t me no end. I love my crumpler.
Cheers,

John