Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

Clean behind focusing screen - best method?

On a K10D where I have changed my focusing screen, I seem to always have dust in behind it. I've blown it out with a squeeze blower and there is still dust. I've made every effort to do this in the least dusty room I can (even put a humidifier on close by once).

How on earth can I get this thing close to factory clean? Is it even possible?

Thanks.

04-22-2008, 06:25 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I guess I was lucky that when I replaced the screen on my K10D I only had to take it out once to get the last bit of dust out of the viewfinder, or at least the last bit of dust that annoyed me.

It sounds like you might be having a static problem. I'm not sure if this will work, but here's what I used to do when I had to process film (from 35mm to 4x5) in my bathroom:

Assuming the bathroom is clean, remove bath mats and towels, then turn the shower on full hot, leave and close the door behind you, and let it run for 3-5 minutes. Then go back in, and turn the shower to full cold, leave and close the door behind you. Let it run for 3 minutes or so. Basically this just about guarantees that any dust floating in the air will get a water droplet attached to it during the hot phase, and then fall to the floor or get stuck to the walls during the cold phase. I never got any dust on my negs after I started doing that. As an added precaution I always wore rubber soled shoes, and opened and closed the door slowly.
04-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
That sounds like a great suggestion...one up from running my humidifier. Definitely gonna do it.

That said, anyone ever wipe their focus screen or prism surface with a liquid optic cleaner? Would that help?
04-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ksignorini Quote
That sounds like a great suggestion...one up from running my humidifier. Definitely gonna do it.

That said, anyone ever wipe their focus screen or prism surface with a liquid optic cleaner? Would that help?
I would strongly recommend against that. Here's what the KatzEye folks have to say regarding cleaning. I figure what's good for a KatzEye is probably good for any other view screen.

04-23-2008, 05:57 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
The water/soap method seems good for the screen. I think I might have to do that with one of my spare screens.

I wonder about the prism surface, though. I have one camera with a LOT of junk on it...can't blow it out. I suppose I could get it pro cleaned. Still, I wonder how a pro cleaner does it.

Any more ideas regarding the prism surface? Is it just glass?
04-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

AFAIK, none of the current tech view screens are glass. They are all plastic and quite delicate.
I had some particulate (dust) on the backside of my OEM screen and it was pissing me off bad. Not knowing any better at the time I very carefully cleaned it first with lens solution and then with alcohol. That made a mess big time. Luckily neither scarred it but they both left bad residue/streaks. So again being STUPID I used a fresh Giotto lens cloth on it to again very carefully clear things up. Well that almost did the screen in as it is now not nearly as clear and bright as it used to be and now has some permanent distortions in it.
If I hadn't already had a KatzEye on order I would have been hellishly pissed at myself for not researching more before assuming that mild solvents and a soft cloth were safe for th screen.

... but at least my early stupidity didn't extend to the sensor.
04-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've used well deluted dishwashing detergent to clean the focus screen of my K10D, then waved the screen few times in a small cup of distilled water before drying it. No problem after cleaning.
04-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
AFAIK, none of the current tech view screens are glass. They are all plastic and quite delicate.
But what about the prism surface? You know, behind and above the focusing screen.

Any ideas?

04-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #9

Get it done properly by a registered Pentax repairer/service centre.
04-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ya. I think I'll do that.
04-23-2008, 09:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

But what about the prism surface? You know, behind and above the focusing screen.

Any ideas?
D'OH! Sorry, I had the wrong prism in my brain when I typed that out. No idea here - I just know that area is off limits to me, period.
04-24-2008, 12:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If it's just dust being trapped between the prism and the focus screen, there is really no reason to wipe them. Just get yourself a good blower, say Giottos Rocket blower (large preferred), remove the focus screen, with the camera mount facing down, a few good hard blowing should do. Just watch what you are wearing when doing it (get naked if in doubt [lol]). Always a good idea to dust the camera bags too.
04-24-2008, 08:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Well,
my problem is with K100D focusing screen.
After removing the focusing screen, I blow them but the dust is getting even worse than before.
Is there a way maybe to remove the static condition inside the camera?
I noticed that everytime after I clean the focusing scree, another dust will stick to it right before I put it back on.

The conditioning environment suggested by Groudloop sounds make good sense. I'll give that a try.
04-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Maybe make sure you are grounded when handling the screen?

In the old days when we worked on computers (back when adding memory was to plop in actual chips) we always worked on a grounded table, with a grounding strap around your wrist and all to avoid static.

We also took off our shoes (leather or rubber soles allow your body to build up a static charge).

Just my 2 cents worth, personally I live with the dust on my focusing screen.

Pat
04-24-2008, 08:37 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On a K10D where I have changed my focusing screen, I seem to always have dust in behind it. I've blown it out with a squeeze blower and there is still dust. I've made every effort to do this in the least dusty room I can (even put a humidifier on close by once).

How on earth can I get this thing close to factory clean? Is it even possible?

Thanks.
Every time I try to clean the screen, I move the dust around a bit, add some more, and scratch the screen. Every screen I have (SF-1, MZ-S and K10D) has dust and scratches. I give up. My middle initial must be K (for Klutz).