Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2016, 01:08 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's all about the trademarks. Pentax could make their "Reversal Film" output look like Velvia, or look like Kodachrome, but they couldn't call it either of those things unless they worked out some sort of deal with Fuji or Kodak.

Of course the other thing you can do is buy DXO Filmpack or VSCO or Replichrome and apply whatever kind of film emulation you want with your PC. I'm rather fond of the Replichrome filter for Kodak Ektar 100, myself. None of these are a perfect match for film (it's not possible with the technology we have now), but some of the better emulations can look reasonably convincing more often than not.

05-01-2016, 04:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I tend to use DxO film pack rendering for all my pictures and to select a given rendering for a shooting session as a starting point.

A typical film simulation include grain, colors tone, contrast etc qualibrated to look like the old films. You can additionnally add color filters, vigneting (darketing or ligtening borders/corners), blur and so on. The "elite" version has quite some choice with 38B&W and 44 color film simulation, each with its grain and dedicated color profile. For the nostaly minded, you can get back the rendering of Fuji, Kodac, Agfa, lfford, Foma or Polaroid... This also add up with the 20-30 different color rendering theme from different camera body. You can set your color profiles to render like a K200D, a Canon 5D or Nikon D800 if you want it.

While a neutral jpeg color profile is no issue for me or on the occasion an opinionated one is quite nice, I personnally prefer to do that sort of choice in post processing as I avoid to:
- lose time at shooting time to messup with the setting. 95% of the time, I only use the OVF and don't look at the actual picture in the back screen at all.
- forget to get back to a more neutral rendering after a particular shoot and discover I ruined the next 5, 10, 100 shots with an opinionated rendering that can't really reverted back while shooting JPEG.

Still I understand the need, in particular when you didn't setup your post processing workflow for easy choice of colors profiles.

PS: I don't really use the DxO Film pack as an atempt to really simulate film, but more as a set of presets that allow me to tune the mood and aesthetics of my photographs. The films simulation are as good as many other name you could have for different color profile and I tend to think that the film maker of the old time took quite some time to "tune" them for different uses, so theses profiles make sense.
05-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Many hobbyist like the fuji film simulation feature. One of my female friend choose fuji just because of this feature. That is quite shocking to me. I know many of us can do it in post process. but can easily create that film look in camera is certainly handy.