Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in camera 'film simulation mode'

As far as I know, Fuji camera have several "film simulation mode" like setting to Fuji velvia, Astia, etc. (FUJIFILM X-Pro1 | features - Color Reproduction of Fujifilm | Fujifilm Global)
and I believe it is in JPG mode only?

I am wondering, is there any patent issues that stop other company like PENTAX/Ricoh to include this kind of film simulation mode in their camera/post-processing software?

I personally don't think so because I see a lot of post-process software "plug-ins" also uses these film names in their film simulation package?

If it is included, it will be like taking all sort of different films to shoot...
It will be especially interesting to 'try' those discontinued film emulsion...

04-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Not so much a "film simulation mode", but I have found that with my K20D, I can set up three color temperature settings...
After shooting with the different settings selected, the resulting images have the appearence of various films... (Kodachrome, Ectachrome, FujiFilm, Etc...)

I don't think there would be any issues with someone developing a PP "plug-in"...
I think it would just be a matter of setting up a "Macro" to adjust the various filter settings in whatever program you have...
(PhotoShop, Corel PhotoPaint, Adobe After Effects, Ect.)
Macro's are great shortcuts and reduce a lot of redundant processing steps... (Like, whole image color nad sharpness adjustments...)

Just my .02
04-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I have used several Lightroom presets that attempt simulation of various films and a few (mostly for B&W conversion) are actually fairly accurate. That being said, I have found them to be of limited usefulness.

Steve
04-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Its jpeg only, since the camera processes the raw info to make it look similar to a film. The reason Fuji is doing this is because Fuji is/was known for their film, back from the SLR days. So they are riding on this glory.
Pentax has some jpeg modes that emulate film (like Film Reversal, arguably even black and white and sepia) and digital filters that emulate types of processing (toy camera, color reversal,..). These are in-camera.

If you take photos in raw, you can do this in post. Lightroom has some presets that are similar to this and it also has features like adding/lowering clarity and adding film grain (though, adding grain is a feature that is often used for prints. Its not just "pretending to be film"). You can also download custom presets that emulate different types of film and post processing techniques. There are also a lot of plugins and other software that does this, like Nik Efex (Silver Efex Pro?), Alien Skin Exposure, and I think Topaz also has something similar. Heck, even Instagram appears to do this, even though it arguable if its filters are actually similar to any older mediums (seems like they are just modern interpretations, ideas of what film used to be like, to ride on that nostalgia factor)

04-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
We have that velvia in camera's after the K-5.
04-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax have, Bright, Natural, Monocrome....aso, which I believe is pretty much the same thing. In most cameras these modes also can be individual customized. But Pentax/Ricoh has never been a producer of film, and they have no reason to promote competitors trademarks. And I doubt FI Fuji would allow them to do so.

Last edited by Fogel70; 04-19-2014 at 02:46 PM.
04-11-2016, 10:38 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
We have that velvia in camera's after the K-5.
Hey mate, can you please elaborate on this? Thanks
04-11-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
amateur dirt farmer...

I have found that processing images through Macphun's Tonality gives a nice film feel to them - there are presets for most of the 'classic' films, as well....

04-12-2016, 09:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Both my MZ5n and MZ7 have excellent film simulations, so real it is just like shooting film
04-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Its jpeg only, since the camera processes the raw info to make it look similar to a film. The reason Fuji is doing this is because Fuji is/was known for their film, back from the SLR days. So they are riding on this glory.
Pentax has some jpeg modes that emulate film (like Film Reversal, arguably even black and white and sepia) and digital filters that emulate types of processing (toy camera, color reversal,..). These are in-camera.

If you take photos in raw, you can do this in post. Lightroom has some presets that are similar to this and it also has features like adding/lowering clarity and adding film grain (though, adding grain is a feature that is often used for prints. Its not just "pretending to be film"). You can also download custom presets that emulate different types of film and post processing techniques. There are also a lot of plugins and other software that does this, like Nik Efex (Silver Efex Pro?), Alien Skin Exposure, and I think Topaz also has something similar. Heck, even Instagram appears to do this, even though it arguable if its filters are actually similar to any older mediums (seems like they are just modern interpretations, ideas of what film used to be like, to ride on that nostalgia factor)
Lightroom has the Fuji presets built in and will apply them to raw files, though they can only be accessed if you shoot Fuji cameras that have the simulations built in.
04-12-2016, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #11

Film Simulation Mode, Stop and change cards after every 36 frames.

I'm not sure why you would want that baggage in-camera,
Shoot RAW, and apply the processing later in the computer.
Guess being an old film guy, my brain is wired to shoot with a camera, and process in a darkroom, or Lightroom.
04-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I like Fuji's idea in incorporating their film simulation modes on their cameras, it makes life easier and cuts the time in darkroom/lightroom. I want to enjoy my coffee after I shoot.
04-27-2016, 03:11 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
Film Simulation Mode, Stop and change cards after every 36 frames.

I'm not sure why you would want that baggage in-camera,
Shoot RAW, and apply the processing later in the computer.
Guess being an old film guy, my brain is wired to shoot with a camera, and process in a darkroom, or Lightroom.
Being an old film guy {Kodachrome mostly} my brain is wire to shoot with a camera and then forget about it until the processor returns the finished product to me.
04-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Being an old film guy {Kodachrome mostly} my brain is wire to shoot with a camera and then forget about it until the processor returns the finished product to me.
I do a variation of that. I shoot a full day and then forget to do anything with the photos for at least a week.

Steve
04-28-2016, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter

My wife complains that I sometimes take a month or two to show her the holiday shots.