Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
P20D SD Capacity

Ok I am not new to digital cameras but since I have just bought the P20D body I am asking if anyone knows the 4Gig cap of Jpegs at full resolution. A typical shoot yields 400 photos and I want to have enough cards on hand. Can I also find spare batteries at camera shops only?
My zooms are still from the day of film(missyou?) so they are 28-200 f 3.8-5.6. Can I expect they will autofocus under the lights of the dirt track?

This is a great site to learn much...

Thanks,

Rogo

04-23-2008, 08:10 AM   #2

For the first question, are you asking how many full-res JPEGs a 4GB card will hold? I can't say exactly, but it will be well over 400. I have a K10D (granted, the lower res results in smaller files), but my 8GB card reports that it will hold over 1600 full-res, high-quality shots. DNG raw is nearly 500. So a 4GB card would yield over 800 shots on a K10, so I'd estimate you'd get at least 600 out of the K20D. (Also, I'm assuming you were referring to the K20D, since a Google search for "pentax p20d" produces zero results.)

For batteries, you won't find them at your average corner store, but electronics stores that sell cameras may offer them. But your best bet would be to buy a few knock-offs cheaply online and have them on hand when you need them.

And as for your lens(es), assuming they are A lenses, and they autofocused on your 35mm, they should be fine at the track, though they may leave you wanting faster AF. (I don't know; I've never been to a dirt track.)
04-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #3

Hi Rogo, and welcome to the forum.

It's difficult to estimate how many jpegs will fit on a card, since jpegs are compressed, and scenes with more detail will have less compression applied, resulting in a larger file. With a 2Gb card, my K10D estimates a little over 400 shots at the Large/HQ (***) setting, so I'd guess you could get about 550 shots on a 4 Gb card with the K20D. To be safe, take every card you have, and format them in the camera before you go to the race.

Camera stores (brick & mortar or online) and Ebay are the only places you'll find batteries.

Assuming your lenses are auto focus (you don't specify what they are), they should be fine on the K20D. Keep in mind that there's a 1.5x 'crop factor', so your 28-200mm on the K20D will have the equivalent field of view as a 42-300mm on your 35mm camera.
04-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes all mt lenses are the Auto Focus KA mount I think. No near them right now.
I have a spare battery but that issue bothers me so I will purchase some for security and Ebay has them for a steal.

I found several links on this site to learn about the features and since I am on the road now I will be ready to grab the new beast and have fun this weekend.

Looking to buy a used 18 -250 lens sometime too (lol like I will find it used).

Rogo