Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

old lenses on a dslr???

I am attempting to take on more paid photography shoots and I am very much still a beginner! I have a Pentax Super ME that I have had for years - several lenses. I want to purchase a dslr camera.. but I am wondering if I can use any of my exsisting lenses on a dslr... any advice or if you could point me in the direction of someone who would know it would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

p.s. What camera would they be compatiable with

Krisit

04-22-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can check at this forum on Pentax Knowledge section.
Most old Pentax lenses can be used w/ DSLR but some functions may not work.

here is the link:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/323-som...resources.html

Go see especially the "Pentax Lens Explained" link.

Good luck and have fun.
04-22-2008, 11:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Short version. Yes, your lenses will fit on any Pentax dslr. However their focal length will appear to be 1.5 times longer.
04-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone,

This was helpful.....

I am slowly aking sense of it all

Kristi

04-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The simple answer is yes, you can use them, BUT note there are restrictions. Specifically:

1) K mount lenses (Takumar bayonette and SMC Pentax, and SMC-M lenses) can only be used in
a) manual mode, using either green button metering (*istD, K10D, K20D) or using the DOF preview with stopped down metering (All DSLR bodies)
b) apature priority mode, but lenses do not stop down, they shoot and meter correctly at maximum apature
c) you can only do TTL flash on *istD and DS bodies, on all later bodies the flash will always fire at Full Power. On all later bodies, you must use either manual flash, or "auto" making use of the sensor in the flash head for exposure control

2) KA mount SMCA and all later mounts will function fully, up to the limit of the lenses, i.e. you get all automatic modes, but no autofocus on MF lenses (perhaps obvious, but...)

3) KAF2 lenses, with power zoom, you can use the power zoom to change focal length but image size tracking, zoom during exposure, and switching between or back to preset focal lengths does not work.

4) Screw mount lenses can work in manual mode stopped down to meter, or in Apature priority mode stopped down. The restriction of flash as in 1C above also applies.