Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What's a person to do ?
Sell the K10D and a Lens or two buy the K20D? 1224.49%
Sell the K10D and a Lens or two buy more Glass? DA*16-50 or DA* 300 918.37%
Keep the K10D and all lenses and just buy more Glass? DA*16-50 or DA* 300 1632.65%
Keep it all buy the K20D, all the new glass I covet and get a good Lawyer? 1224.49%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2008, 07:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Rhetoric Poll

I currently have 2 K10D bodies, I am not a professional, rarely use two bodies on a shoot and definitely don't need two. I am a pack rat for one and my daughter may get into photography so I was kind of saving one for her perhaps.

I know buying state of the art in any technology will cost. There are some features of the K20D that I think I could use or at least enjoy. I know it will drop significantly in price by next fall.

So all that said here is my poll for my delima Enjoy voting ! Feel free to add comments on your options !

One choice - your vote is on public display

04-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #2

"...so i was kind of saving one for her perhaps." - are you or not? Maybe you should decide this first.

"yes." - then you need two bodies (which you already have).
"no." - Option A: then you only really need one body. I would sell one, and sell a lens. You have two very wide angle lenses, i would sell one of those. Then maybe purchase a DA*. If you go this route you would have a K10 with a new DA*

"no." - Option B: then you only really need one body. I would sell both k10's and one of your wide angle lenses. then you can buy a k20 and a da*. (but i didn't exactly calculate the actual costs involved)

Maybe you just really desire/covet the k20d, and it's not an essential purchase. Like you said, you're not a professional, and if not, then maybe you can wait till the fall (because you know the price will fall dramtically). If you wait, you can also find out if your daughter is really getting into photography as well.

Those are my thoughts. (BTW, i didn't vote)... yet.
04-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sell the 2 K10D's and get the new K20D. Having a spare camera sitting around is not going to do it any good. You can always pick up a used K100D or similar if she does decide to give it a try.

But I'd wait till the fall when prices drop some. The K10D's are holding a reasonable value at least right now.

So I can't really vote since I'd sell both bodies.
04-23-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I can't vote either because I would take a different approach.

Sell 1 K10D and buy an *istD to get 3200 ISO, more reliable exposure metering with K series lenses, and the ability to have TTL flash.

I would then hold the other K10D until the K20 drops some in price and then trade the K10D for a K20D or perhaps what ever comes next.

04-23-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Not Registered

My advice would be to sell a K10d, buy a used K100d super (cos of the SDM) and then buy the 300f4. Seeing the problems with the 16-50 I would stay away from it.
If you really-really want the K20D then sell the other K10D and get the K20d when it goes cheaper.
If you dont use the 2 bodies at the time then I think that Peter's advice is the best.
04-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I can't vote either because I would take a different approach.

Sell 1 K10D and buy an *istD to get 3200 ISO, more reliable exposure metering with K series lenses, and the ability to have TTL flash.

I would then hold the other K10D until the K20 drops some in price and then trade the K10D for a K20D or perhaps what ever comes next.
funny Lowell that you should say that. Here I am with a K10D and a *istD. The K10D will probably be sold (depending on this months commissions) and upgraded to a K20D. The *istD will never be sold and I may even grab a spare body in the next 12 months for exactly the reasons you listed.

Since i have two AF400T's, the *istD is an important part of my kit.
04-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You damn people are so logical and analytical I fgured option 4 could be a run away !

Waiting for Fall and the K20D purchase was one of the rhetorical parts - until it drops to around $700 - $800 I won't go near it

I know I need to get rid of one the bodies while it still has some value....

The DA* 16-50 scares me yes but I do love what limited use I have had to date with my DA* 50-135 a fan of SDM for sure and I shoot over 50% in the 17-70 range (soon to be released DA* 17-70 has me waiting as well) a good DA* 16-50 would be ideal.

I thought about selling one of the wide angles - however really torn over which one. I am one of the fisheye lovers and I like to shoot wide angle - would really miss whichever one I let go for sure.

The DA* 300 is indeed intriguing....would I use it more than one of the wide angles.... ummmm

Thanks for the thoughts I have some new options to think about now....

Last edited by daacon; 04-23-2008 at 10:42 AM.
04-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
and
Veteran Member

I agree having a spare if you dont need it is silly. the k10d will just loose value sittig in the drawer.

I have decided against getting a k20d myself, think about it, sure its got improvements over the k10d, but its nothing to make you say "wow I got to get it", otherwise you would already have bought it by now. but what if you wait for the next k30d or k1d model, then surely it should be an easy decision wether to upgrade or not. The k20d came just 1 year after the k10d and they did say they wanted to upgrade once a year, what if they release a k30d next january, keeping the improved sensor and this time adding a significant af and fps upgrade, it would loose its only weakness.

And what will happen at photokina? new bodies? samsung? , its not THAT far away u know... I choose to wait and see.

04-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
funny Lowell that you should say that. Here I am with a K10D and a *istD. The K10D will probably be sold (depending on this months commissions) and upgraded to a K20D. The *istD will never be sold and I may even grab a spare body in the next 12 months for exactly the reasons you listed.

Since i have two AF400T's, the *istD is an important part of my kit.
I guess it is because I have one of each, plus 8 K mount lenses 7 primes 1 zoom, an AF500FTZ all of which remain very useable on the *istD, and since I generally print 8.5 x 11 and only occasionally 11 x 17, the 6MP *istD can do that very well thank you.

Don't get me wrong, I really love the K10D, and use it with my 3 relitively new zooms, (Sigma 10-20, Tamron 28-75 F2.8 and Sigma 70-200 F2.8) along with my AF540FGZ flash, but it does not work as well with the manual lenses or in low light.
04-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #10
LDB
Forum Member

OK, first find someone to give you a dollar. That way you can take my advice and the dollar to McD's and it's worth a cup of coffee. Anyway, I'd probably put the 12-24 lens on one of the K10D bodies and put it on the top shelf of the closet and put a note on the calendar for 30 days. If I hadn't gone before then to get it I'd consider selling that to put toward the K20D body. Your other glass covers that range, perhaps not quite as conveniently but you at least won't have any length missing like you would if you sold the 10-17 and lost 10 and 11. Down the line if your daughter does get into it you can give her the remaining 10 body and then decide if you need/want a second body of some sort for yourself. Good luck deciding. It's tough for sure. Oh, I didn't vote either since my idea was different than the options.
04-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
Not Registered

I can add another evil possibility. If you like IR photography you can sell the k10d for a transformed K100d/Ist DS.
04-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter

If you do decide that you only need one body and opt to sell one to buy the K20D, I'd sell one of the K10Ds now (while the prices are still up). Then hold the $$$ from that sale and wait for the K20D to drop. Of course extra $$$ laying around and LBA is not a good combination!
04-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Missing choice

Sell the K10D, plus all that old glass collection, old bodies, accessories and bags you don't use anymore, or even that often (ouch!).

Be real tough, you'll be surprised at how much you could raise!

Then buy a K20D with just one or two "really good" lenses that fit your style and would use a lot because "sensor + lens" is critical. Then work hard at your technique and skills.

Simplify your photographic gear and your life.

Remember that Less is more!
04-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I would sell one K10D now and still have one to enjoy, waiting for the K20D price drop in few more months then buy it, and the decision of selling or not of the remain K10D will be determined by then.
04-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Dont you mean.....

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
Sell the K10D, plus all that old glass collection, old bodies, accessories and bags you don't use anymore, or even that often (ouch!).

Be real tough, you'll be surprised at how much you could raise!

Then buy a K20D with just one or two "really good" lenses that fit your style and would use a lot because "sensor + lens" is critical. Then work hard at your technique and skills.

Simplify your photographic gear and your life.

Remember that Less is more!

Less is moire ?