Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2014, 05:50 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bought one with my K5IIs a few weeks ago, mainly for the AA batteries I have. After about 3K clicks I've used it for about 20 clicks in portrait orientation, found it nice, but the neck strap keeps interfering with me looking through the viewfinder, where holding it as I did with my K-30, you automatically have control over that. One thing is sure, it adds quite a bit of weight, especially if you have to shoot for a few hours at a time. I think I might resort to keeping it in my bag or in my pocket, as battery backup only, and perhaps for the few times I shoot portraits...

04-24-2014, 05:56 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi all and thanks for the input.

I don't feel that I need a grip, but I was not trying to give a anti grip attitude of myself. I have a lot of things that I do not need to carry around (like the bellows that I got this week). I only think that the advice was not really the best one. If I would gain a bunch of useful buttons I might change my mind, my original question was purely about "juice".

I am old enough to have grown up with a film camera when the battery grip was also a power winder. My dad's Canon F-1 with 10xAA in the metal built grip with a 200mm FD lens made up for the lack of hours in the gym. I addition the roll of 36 frames made one think before shooting, thats why I don't fire away as much as I could (and definitely should). I also remember when I got a huge SD card (256MB) at a bargain price (of 110 USD) in Singapore some ten years ago. Still, I know I do not shoot enough now that there is no limiting factor.

In addition, I learned about lens hoods when I shot 500 frames on a two day safari in Kenya. Mine was too short and far too many shots were overexposed. And the default setting was left on JPG only.
So now I am pro lens hoods. But not a pro in any other way, nor do I claim to be.

I'm just old school.

Seb
04-24-2014, 06:07 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
Hi!
My humble question is: is the battery grip a relic from the film days that just looks cool (and makes the Pentax cameras CaNikon sized) or do anyone actually need it?
Seb
My hands are too large to grip the K-5 with all 5 fingers. The pinky is left dangling, which makes it harder to handle the camera with heavier lenses like my DA 18-135mm and FA* 400mm f5.6. The outer two fingers are the power fingers, so losing the use of one makes a big difference. The battery grip allows me to grasp the body with my whole hand. I also like being able to brace both arms against my body when holding the camera vertically. In addition, I like having the second battery on board. I started using a motor drive on my Pentax MX in the 1990s and I wish I had bought one when I first bought the camera in the 1983. I can't go back to shooting without a battery grip.
04-24-2014, 06:11 AM   #19
Site Supporter

The K-20 grip could store another SD card and the remote, which was handy. The K-5 eliminated the remote option, and cost more, so I passed.

04-25-2014, 06:42 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I find the K5ii body to be far more comfortable to hold with the grip on than without it. My old Nikon D3100 was like a torture device for the hands because of it's diminutive size.

I don't care how it looks to other people. The grip, for me, is the difference between shooting for a few hours and having pain in my hand for a few days and shooting for as long as I want and having no pain later. It was a revelation the first time I went shooting with the grip on.

I don't even use the buttons on it. The extra battery is nice though. And having a spare old memory card stored in the grip has saved me once.
04-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #21
Forum Member

I personally don't have an grip on my K5ii as i did not find it appealing to carry extra weight with me while shooting. Similarly to you, i do carry extra batteries with me in case i ran out of juice.

Aside from that, i guess it could come in handy if you want that vertical grip, and the weight balance on heavier lens.
04-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
Loved the Pentax grip for my K-7+ DA*50-135. I take a lot of photographs in vertical orientation and it is much, much more comfortable to shoot with the grip. Even horizontal images were better balanced- the whole getting your pinky on the camera helped.

For just over $200, it was expensive. However, WR was one of my top reasons for buying into Pentax so buying generic wasn't an option.

I'm punching myself for buying the K-3 early and not waiting to see what kind of deals are on offer now... A free $200+ grip? Hard to pass that up! So now I need to watch my spending so I can justify a genuine grip purchase again.
04-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #23
Pentaxian

On the K200D it comes in handy. The battery life is doubled which is good because the CCD sucks down batteries. I shoot a lot in vertical orientation so yeah. It's not just for "showing off". It does serve a purpose. I'll probably get one for the K7 as well, the generic ones are cheap enough. Some of the ones on ebay even claim to be WR.

05-01-2014, 07:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I bought one so D7000/5D users stop laughing at me for having such a tiny camera. Jerks...
05-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Here's why I don't need a battery grip with my K-5. I'll probably feel the same way when I upgrade to a K-3 or K-whatever. It's a matter of opinion, though, and people who like a grip aren't wrong.

I keep 2 spare batteries in my bag. That gives me enough capacity even if I forget a battery in the charger at home. I don't need the extra batteries from a grip.

The K-5 fits my hands and balances well even with a large lens. My heaviest lens is a 2kg Sigma 50-500. My left hand bears most of the weight of the lens+camera while my right hand controls the camera. I can get through an airshow handheld. The extra weight of a battery grip might exceed my endurance to carry that combo all day.

I don't shoot many portraits. I would probably buy a grip for the extra controls if I was a portrait photographer.
05-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
I bought one so D7000/5D users stop laughing at me for having such a tiny camera.
Small is the new big!
05-08-2014, 02:23 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have huge hands compared to most people plus it's nothing to shoot 2000+ shots a day on a racing weekend so my grip on my K200D is a must for me. It allows me to go the whole day each day without changing batteries and keeps my hand from cramping from holding something too small for it. With the current trend for smaller and smaller bodies my next body will HAVE to have a grip available.
05-08-2014, 03:27 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
I have huge hands compared to most people plus it's nothing to shoot 2000+ shots a day on a racing weekend so my grip on my K200D is a must for me. It allows me to go the whole day each day without changing batteries and keeps my hand from cramping from holding something too small for it. With the current trend for smaller and smaller bodies my next body will HAVE to have a grip available.
I concur. With my K-7 (no grip) and K-5II (with grip), I often take the K-7 for quick shots, but always select the K-5II with grip for events or other photo ops that extend over a period of time, primarily for the comfort of the grip with my big mittens and secondarily because of the extra battery.
05-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I have medium-large hands and my K-5 is just a bit too small without the battery grip. It also makes balancing bigger/heavier lenses easier, you have more leverage over the whole package. I also like that I can easily shoot for long periods without charging batteries... I actually only charge batteries a few times a year. Just doing the math in my head, I would have to shoot ~5000 images to need 5 full recharge cycles for a pair of Li-Ion batteries in my K-5 with grip. I can just grab my camera and go for a weekend without having to actually think about bringing my charger. I often do this.

Also, the Pentax grip has a holder for an extra SD card, if you use the Li-Ion battery in it like I do. I keep a spare 16GB card there for emergencies. I do occasionally take off the grip when I want to travel lighter with a single small lens, but it's a rare thing. 99% of the time I keep the grip on.

---------- Post added 05-27-14 at 10:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
I bought one so D7000/5D users stop laughing at me for having such a tiny camera. Jerks...
I just ask them a couple questions... what is all that extra space used for? Compensating for something...? That usually shuts them up

Last edited by cbope; 05-27-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spelling
05-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #30
Moderator PEG Judges

For me, I always have grips on everything, cos firstly I have huge hands and secondly it helps to balance up the heavy fast glass I use.