Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2014, 06:58 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have very large hands (not beefy, just large). For years I used my K10D without a grip, but figured that it would be essential with the K-3. I ordered the K-3 with grip and was surprised to find that I actually prefer not having it on the camera. My fingers are long enough and my palm deep enough that I am able to cradle the camera nicely in almost any orientation and manage the shutter release with my second finger if needed. Go figure, eh?

There is also the matter of my using the camera on-tripod much of the time* and the bulk of the whole assembly. Short story...I will be selling the virtually unused grip in the near future.

Steve

* I know, I know...there is a tripod fitting on the grip, but it is poorly placed. I could get a custom L-plate for close to the price of a nice tripod I suppose...nah!

05-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a battery grip that I use with either my K5 or K5-IIs. B&H is currently including the batter grip with the K3 and I may get one as that is a pretty good deal. I prefer to use the camera with the grip on. It just fits me better. I got into the habit of having one on when I got one for my Pentax ZX-5n.
06-01-2014, 04:27 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Last year I bought the BG-3 for my K200D, not because I thought I would need it, just to "make the camera complete" (and the eBay buy was really a bargain). Since that time, I used it several times - again not because I thought I would need it, just to try it and to get used to it.

My conclusion is:
  1. For 50+ years I have used cameras in vertical orientation without problems. I feel using the grip for portrait orientation does not improve handling - for me, the contrary is true.
  2. Eneloops will last for at least 200 shots, there have been reports of up to 1000 (without flash). The K200D is a master in low energy consumption: Not offering LV also helps.
  3. (by @rbefly)
    QuoteQuote:
    The BG also duplicates the exposure comp, ISO, on/off/DoF preview buttons; plus both thumb wheels (if the camera has two), AE-L, Green button and AF button. Even without an extra battery, having these controls available in vertical format make the camera much more useable.
    Well, the BG-3 doesn't offer all this: no exposure comp, ISO, thumb wheel, Green button (AF button does not exist with the K200D). It's just the on/off/DoF preview and AE-L. And it also has no compartment for spare memory cards.
There have been only 3 cameras where I found a grip to be an advantage. This was my MZ5n, and the ME Super/Super A (the Winder ME2 as a "grip"). But, compared with the K200D, these cameras are really extremely small.

I may sell it
06-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Better feel, balance, control and almost the exact same tactile contact on buttons when shooting portrait ... All this makes the grip on my k7 a no-brainer permanent fixture, just part of the camera now. It feels ridiculous without it after more than 2 years of shooting with it. Oh, and I love to look really 'pro' as well 😉

06-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Last year I bought the BG-3 for my K200D, not because I thought I would need it, just to "make the camera complete" (and the eBay buy was really a bargain). Since that time, I used it several times - again not because I thought I would need it, just to try it and to get used to it.

My conclusion is:
  1. For 50+ years I have used cameras in vertical orientation without problems. I feel using the grip for portrait orientation does not improve handling - for me, the contrary is true.
  2. Eneloops will last for at least 200 shots, there have been reports of up to 1000 (without flash). The K200D is a master in low energy consumption: Not offering LV also helps.
  3. (by @rbefly) Well, the BG-3 doesn't offer all this: no exposure comp, ISO, thumb wheel, Green button (AF button does not exist with the K200D). It's just the on/off/DoF preview and AE-L. And it also has no compartment for spare memory cards.
There have been only 3 cameras where I found a grip to be an advantage. This was my MZ5n, and the ME Super/Super A (the Winder ME2 as a "grip"). But, compared with the K200D, these cameras are really extremely small.

I may sell it

I agree with your conclusions. I bought the BG-3 for my K200D for the same reason, though I got mine from KEH for a lot better deal than I was seing on eBay. I haven't really had the chance to use it but will give it a try next month. I have a feeling it will just hang out in the bag as I doubt I will sell it.