Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
To Pentax from a Panasonic superzoom

I've been a K10 shooter for just shy of a month now, and my camera before that was a Panasonic FZ30. I've been rather surprised at the number of people I've seen mention in passing that they also moved from an FZ30 or 50.

So I'm wondering how many people fall into this category and what their stories are.

I'll share mine first.

Early in 2005, I needed a new camera. I had lusted after the Panasonic FZ20 for a while, then the FZ30 fixed all my complaints. So I really wanted one. On the other hand, I also really thought about jumping on the dSLR bandwagon with a Rebel. In the end, I decided on the compact, because I loved my other superzoom, and I really wanted something that could do video.

It didn't take long for me to regret my decision.

I had big plans for my FZ30. I discovered Raynox and all the great conversion lenses they make. I bought a great macro, and planned to buy a wide and a tele in the future. Then it hit me... If I'm willing to lug around this big camera and all these lenses, WHY do I not have an SLR?

Don't get me wrong. There were things I loved about the FZ30. I could go from 35 to 420mm (eq) in under a second. If the kids started doing something cute, I could whip the dial to movie mode and grab it.

But there were two key things I hated.

First, small-sensor bokeh (or lack thereof). Everything was always in focus! I tried so many things to get the nice, blurred-background portraits I wanted, but it would never happen. (Now I have a FA50.)

Second, ISO100. The FZ30 was pretty noisy at ISO100. I didn't dare go higher, which really limited my lighting options, even with the Sunpak 383. I've done some comparison shots, and the FZ30 was about as noisy at ISO100 as the K10 at ISO800.

It is often said that the photographer makes the picture, and that the equipment is irrelevant. But I was at the point where the limitations of my equipment were glaring, and really preventing me from getting the shots I wanted.

The very first shots I took with the K10, my wife said, "Wow, these look professional." All I could think was I told you I needed a new camera!

Anyhow, what's everyone else's story? (If you have a non-Panasonic switch story, I'd still like to hear it.)

04-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #2

well, almost

My last "superzoom" was the Konica-Minolta A2, which was actually a very satisfying camera to use. I have many great shots taken with it, but 7X was all the "superzoom" available at the time. So I jumped to an E300. It was OK, but the upgrade 14-54 lens was nothing to write home about and the sigma 50-200 (not Oly's fault) felt like a toy. Just as I was about to jump to an E-1, the K10D was announced. That looked just like what I was looking for, so I went for it.
Of course, that didn't mean I gave up p&s cameras.
The best camera in the world is the one you have with you when something amazing happens. And going back and forth to work every day I don't normally carry my DSLR. I Do however, carry a little beltpack which contains my Panny FZ18. Always there, always ready.
And if I am going out formally, and where a beltpack would be out of place, I slip my A650 into the jacket pocket!
Djedi
04-23-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Not a superzoom, but I used a Canon Powershot S110 (size of a deck of cards) for years. It took great pictures, but I was looking to upgrade resolution and control wise. Before that I used a Pentax film point and shoot (forget the model, but I still have it). Also a really good little camera. I toyed with getting a Canon S3 superzoom, but I reasoned that a DSLR with the right lens would only be a bit larger and I'd have tons more flexibility. I didn't have the cash at the time so I just waited. I'm glad I did because the K10D can out and it was pretty much the camera I was looking for.

My K10D is great and I've had tons of fun leaning more about the fundamentals of photography. But, sometimes I miss having my Powershot S110 with me. In the end I'll get something like the Panasonic LX-2 (or the Leica Lux-3). I see more and more places permitting cameras, but not "professional" cameras which usually means ones with a detectable lens. So the little compact camera might still have a place after all.
04-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved from a Panasonic TZ1 to K100D with 18-200 zoom.
Still use the TZ when inappropriate to carry DSLR and as a P&S backup.
Garth

04-23-2008, 11:33 PM   #5
Voe
Veteran Member

My first camera was the Panasonic FZ20 which I bought in 2004.
In march 2006 I started looking for the best price/features ratio DSLR to replace my "fluzi".
In September 2006 I was almost pressed the trigger on Canon 30D when the news of the incoming Pentax K10D came up. I started reading every rumour and bits and pieces of information regarding K10D. And on the 28th of November I bought my first DSLR from the first batch that came to Australia.

I still keep the FZ20 but do not use it at all. My wife use it from time to time, and now it is her camera

That's my story.
04-24-2008, 02:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter

My story is almost same

QuoteOriginally posted by joefru Quote
I've been a K10 shooter for just shy of a month now, and my camera before that was a Panasonic FZ30. I've been rather surprised at the number of people I've seen mention in passing that they also moved from an FZ30 or 50.

So I'm wondering how many people fall into this category and what their stories are.

I'll share mine first.

Early in 2005, I needed a new camera. I had lusted after the Panasonic FZ20 for a while, then the FZ30 fixed all my complaints. So I really wanted one. On the other hand, I also really thought about jumping on the dSLR bandwagon with a Rebel. In the end, I decided on the compact, because I loved my other superzoom, and I really wanted something that could do video.

It didn't take long for me to regret my decision.

I had big plans for my FZ30. I discovered Raynox and all the great conversion lenses they make. I bought a great macro, and planned to buy a wide and a tele in the future. Then it hit me... If I'm willing to lug around this big camera and all these lenses, WHY do I not have an SLR?

Don't get me wrong. There were things I loved about the FZ30. I could go from 35 to 420mm (eq) in under a second. If the kids started doing something cute, I could whip the dial to movie mode and grab it.

But there were two key things I hated.

First, small-sensor bokeh (or lack thereof). Everything was always in focus! I tried so many things to get the nice, blurred-background portraits I wanted, but it would never happen. (Now I have a FA50.)

Second, ISO100. The FZ30 was pretty noisy at ISO100. I didn't dare go higher, which really limited my lighting options, even with the Sunpak 383. I've done some comparison shots, and the FZ30 was about as noisy at ISO100 as the K10 at ISO800.

It is often said that the photographer makes the picture, and that the equipment is irrelevant. But I was at the point where the limitations of my equipment were glaring, and really preventing me from getting the shots I wanted.

The very first shots I took with the K10, my wife said, "Wow, these look professional." All I could think was I told you I needed a new camera!

Anyhow, what's everyone else's story? (If you have a non-Panasonic switch story, I'd still like to hear it.)
Hi,

When I read this I thought it was written by me, my story is so similar.
I to have Panasonic FZ30, but I didnt buy any extra lenses except a polarizer filter.
When I had the funds to buy a SLR i just jumped to it, obviously it was going to be Pentax.

Now I enjoy both my camera's because Still i don't have anything equivalent to the 35-420 IS zoom.

Waiting for my Tamron SP300 f/5.6 to arrive.

But still FZ30 is quite good except the ISO & DOF issues
04-24-2008, 02:43 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps there is reason: both the FZ30 and the K10D were "best in class" at that time. Great performance for a reasonable amount of money...
So, we have just an eye for quality

I also had a FZ30 with a Raynox wide, a pola, 2 batteries ect... I just bought it for my photo course. In my mind was always: learn first the basics, learn what you want of a camera (type of pictures ..) and then select the stream (brand, type) of DSLR camera which fits...

After one year I knew I was an omnivore, so my camera should support everything. It also should be rather "semi pro". I ended up in a choice between NIKON D200, CANON 400D, NIKON D80 and .. PENTAX K10D. D200 was to expensive, 400D was to small for my hands. D80 and K10D were on par. I really liked both camera's. The in body SR plus the widely available old lenses gave edge to the Pentax. I never, ever have regretted it.

My old FZ30? It's gathering dust. When I sell it, it worth so little (compared to the amount paid) it prefer keeping it.

The K20D I'll skip. Perhaps the K30D will be the camera which will replace the K10D eventually...
04-24-2008, 04:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

@joefru

thanks for starting this thread

i was dedicated Pana user also. around 2004-2005 i bought a second hand - mint condition of Panasonic FZ10 and that after months reviewing, i snatch an offer from internet seller, only for price around $260 .. it was beautiful upgrade from previous P&S Kodak Z700.

the best thing about FZ10 was its SR. help me a lot while me aim object at 420 mm.

and also the capability to keep the aperture at f/2.8 at the zoom end, its really enjoyful.
--

but the noise at 200 while i am aiming at object at dawn..really made me crazy.

--

last..this year i made my mind to upgrade. time to get serious. so i bought k

10d.

--

but i still kept that full memories of Pana FZ10

--
see my pana shot .. guntor :: Fotopic.Net

04-24-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
Inactive Account

My story

Well, I went from a Canon 20D dSLR to the Panasonic FZ20. I only had the Canon for about a month and hated every second of it. From the FZ20 I went to the FZ30, both cameras I loved and I got a lot of use from both. I was very excited about the FZ50, bought one and was totally appalled at the poor image quality. Panasonic had such aggressive noise reduction that everything looked like a painting. Since I like to do extreme cropping higher resolution and a high powered quality zoom lens was very important.

I also needed shake reduction because I have a nerve disorder that makes it impossible to hold completely still. I looked at the Sony and the Pentax K10D I ended up with the K10D. At the start I wasn't that happy with the camera. I had always shot JPG and I felt that the K10D just didn't do well on JPG. However, over time I learned to deal with RAW and now like RAW better than JPG. When the K20D was announced and because it looked like a very good upgrade (for once) I preordered and so I have a K20D now. My lenses include the 18-55 kit lens, Pentax 10-17, Pentax 50mm F1.4, Pentax 18-250 (my main lens) and I am getting a Sigma 50-500. However, my first 50-500 didn't work right and I am now waiting for a replacement which I am hoping will work right.

I recently got a Pentax *ist from a friend of mine. While this camera is ok, I got it for a very specific reason. I am having it converted to infrared only. However, this conversion isn't going well. The guy doing it while having done lots of Canon and Nikon's so far has been able to get the converted *ist to stay on after the conversion. So it is probably toast. He is still working on it. For the time being I am using an infrared only Fuji A900 point and shoot. But, would really like a Pentax converted so that I can use my lenses with it.

Robert
04-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Almost the same exact same story as the OP, but I had the Panasonic Lumix TZ3. Excellent bridge camera in good light, horrible in bad light/high ISO.

Here are some shots taken with the TZ3 - not bad, but not DSLR. ---> Panasonix Lumix TZ3

04-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joefru Quote

These are the exact reasons I switched from a DMC-LX1. Too MUCH DOF, and awful noise performance.
04-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Hi joefru

Back in the early days of digital when DSLR's were initially prohibitively expensive and not what I regarded as anywhere near approaching value for money, I tentatively dipped my toe in the 'digital waters' and purchased an excellent 6MP Fuji Finepix S602Z 'bridge camera' (35-210mm equivalent 35mm coverage) which I still have to this day. A 15-day cruise around the Baltic persuaded me that I needed a longer 'reach' than the 210mm could provide (in attempting to capture coastal scenery) and a few years later on a second cruise which sailed northwards along the extensive coast of Norway, I foolishly fell for the apparent charms of an Image Stabilized Panasonic FZ20 (36-420mm equivalent 35mm coverage). Although it's Leica lens was pretty amazing, it unfortunately turned out to have one of the noisiest sensors (above 100 ISO) I've ever had the misfortune of encountering and I've hardly used it ever since.....BIG MISTAKE !!!!!!
The competing generation of S9500/9600 Fuji's had their fare share of problems with malfunctioning command dials so those models are perhaps best avoided, which brings me to the Pentax K10D, of which I am now the proud possessor of TWO bodies. Game over......although an advert for the new Fuji Finepix S100 Fuji Fuji Finepix S100fs UK Digital Cameras on the back-cover of the latest edition of What Digital Camera magazine has just caught my eye !
Am I tempted ? Nah, not really, except maybe, just slightly ! Get thee away from me Satan, thou art the work of the Devil in all his incarnations. Resist, dammit........lol !!!

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 04-26-2008 at 11:34 AM.