Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K100D Internal Flash Problem. Help?

I was wondering if anyone has experienced the following problem. I'm not even sure it's a problem, but I have a strong feeling that it is.

I rarely use the pop-up flash on my K100D. However, in the last few weeks when I have used it I've had a wierd thing happen. As far as I can gather it seems to be happening in lower light and/or when the camera is having trouble focusing. The flash kind of goes into this thing where it lets out a long flash of light. While that is happening it sort of buzzes.

Somehow I don't think it should be doing this. The buzzing freaks me out and the long flash of light blinds people for a moment. This isn't some sort of wierd focus assist is it?

I've also used an AF280T flash on the hotshoe. It measured at 7.7 volts. I thought that was OK for the K100D but now I'm afraid I've fried some sort of software for the pop-up flash.

I have an extended warranty for the camera so I suppose I could call them and see what they say as well.

I wanted to see what fellow Pentaxians had to say first though. Any help would be appreciated.

04-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boushh Quote

This isn't some sort of wierd focus assist is it?
That's exactly what it is. It does kinda freak you out when it happens though.
04-23-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
That's exactly what it is. It does kinda freak you out when it happens though.
Really? Complete with that buzzing sound?

Well if that's the case then I'm happy that my camera doesn't need to get sent in to be serviced. Though I feel bad for all the people that I momentarily blinded over the weekend.

Thanks for responding!
04-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yep, complete with buzzing sound that sounds like the electronics are frying! Unfortunately normal. But it does work, kinda.

04-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
Yep, complete with buzzing sound that sounds like the electronics are frying! Unfortunately normal. But it does work, kinda.
LOL! Yes, it does work! Check it out! The light for these shots was insanely dim. The focus assist thing happened and it helped. These shots have no post processing done on them and they were shot RAW.

Full Size Here