Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
Forum Member

made in where?

I'm curious where Pentax equipment is made, both bodies and lenses. I saw made in Vietnam stamped into the back of a lens. Silly me. I was hoping they'd still be made in Japan and of theoretically higher quality.

04-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Forum Member

My K10d body was made in the Philippines
04-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LDB Quote
I'm curious where Pentax equipment is made, both bodies and lenses. I saw made in Vietnam stamped into the back of a lens. Silly me. I was hoping they'd still be made in Japan and of theoretically higher quality.
Then you would had to pay for much much higher price.
04-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Uhm the stuff is still made in Japan, but they're assembled in Vietnam.

04-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Relating the country the factory is located to the product quality is prejudice. Bad quality comes from bad management/implementation, not from what you seem to think of as second-grade workers.
04-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Too true, my uniform shirts are made in Australia and also Vietnam. The Vietnam manufactured ones are excellent, the Aussie made ones are crap, buttons falling off, hard to iron and colour fading.

PK
04-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
LDB
Forum Member

Original Poster
The only prejudice is the perhaps no longer as valid prejudice that made in Japan means as good as it gets, bar none. That isn't to say a made in elsewhere label means poor quality, just that based on historical results it means no better than equal quality and possibly lower quality. I'm hoping that any/all new Pentax gear I obtain will be equal to my Spotmatic F/MX days.

04-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have Pentax lenses made in Japan,Taiwan and assembled in Vietnam. My DSLR was assembled in the Philippines. The Samsung lens says made in Vietnam, rather then assembled there. I beleive that the better glass comes from Japan and they are assembled in other countries to reduce cost.

Dave