Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2008, 06:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
thank's all for your help, finally got this PC - almost - working propperly, and just downloaded the manual.

01-03-2009, 12:18 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Hi all:
I gona get one ist-D and have no experience about it. How compatible of this camera with MF lens (I mean M42 and Pentax mount K)? It is fully focus confirm (auto focus with 11 point) or only center point as K100?
By the way, I hear that there is some old lens mout K will be locked in the D-RSL body. Is it right? if so, what lens is it?
01-03-2009, 02:18 AM   #18

I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd add a suggestion for those using NiMH AA's.
I go through dozens a year in my RC cars (nitro and electric)
1) The more you fast charge, the shorter their life - the more AGGRESSIVE the fast charge, the worse it gets.
2) After going through a few HUNDRED AA's, my personal preference is GP, or Gold Peak. Green with orange top. THese are pretty much the best you can get, IMHO, and most of the RC scene will concur.

Suggestions:
If you can, get an RC car battery charger, and wire it into a 4-AA cradle.
NiMH likes to be charged at no more than .5C, or half it's rated capacity, ie, charge 2000mah cells at 1000mah, or 1.0a. Try to get a decent charger - hobbypeople.net sells a charger called the Pro-Peak Prodigy 2 for around $60. I'v ehad one for about 3 years, and it charges EVERYTHING - LiIon, LiPo, Pb (Lead acid and gel-cell), NiCD, and NiMH. It will also cycle the batteries to recondition them.

Never never EVER run them all the way down - causes crystallization, degrades the electrolytes, and shortens the life of the cells.

Try not to let them get too hot, both under charging (more advanced chargers have temp sensors) and during use. After charging, if they're warm/hot, give them a chance to cool down before use.

I've also had decent luck with the Duracell AA NiMH I get from WalMart (I think) I get just about rated capacity out of them, but wouldn't trust one of my top cars - $1000-1500 is alot to risk on a $10 set of batteries! One cell drops, and the car is in the wall and damaged! Check out batteryuniversity.com for more info - the site owner has alot of good info up on most chemistries, and gives the info away for free!

T
01-03-2009, 04:16 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tana Quote
Hi all:
I gona get one ist-D and have no experience about it. How compatible of this camera with MF lens (I mean M42 and Pentax mount K)?
very well! For MF lenses, specially M42 and MF K mount lenses one of the best cams you can get.
for a M42 adapter use one without flange which fits snuggly inside the PK mount ( or otherwise you may not achieve infinity focus )

It is fully focus confirm (auto focus with 11 point) or only center point as K100?
I believe it is only centre point, but don't know for sure.
The focus confirmation for me is rather a help to kow where about the focus is to be found, for axact focus I better rely on my eyes. I recomend Pentax magnifying eyepiece and/or split focus scren for focusing.

By the way, I hear that there is some old lens mout K will be locked in the D-RSL body. Is it right? if so, what lens is it?
To my knowledge it is only some Ricoh lenses with some extra pin that may get stuck

wish you much joy with your 'new' cam!

01-04-2009, 01:16 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Thanks Kuuan for your information.

I have got Ist-D for few hours but I love this color... Even it's too slow to compare with my old 30D and 1D of Canon. However, it is the first step with Pentax.

I got the M42 mount without flange but can not get focus confirm on my M42. Still in decorvering this body.
01-04-2009, 03:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Kuuan for your information.

I have got Ist-D for few hours but I love this color... Even it's too slow to compare with my old 30D and 1D of Canon. However, it is the first step with Pentax.
glad you like it!

I got the M42 mount without flange but can not get focus confirm on my M42. Still in decorvering this body.
I never have had this problem, but it could be a problem of this lens not shorting some contacts, hope you can sort it out, see: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/42255-istd-m42-len...-question.html

and maybe of interest my discussion when I had opted for the *istDs to use manual lenses on:
Manual Focus Lenses :: View topic - Pentax *istDS anyone?

have fun,
kuuan