Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
*istD or K100? - specially for manual lenses

I am about to buy a used Pentax dSLR body, already have a bunch of M42 and K mount manual lenses I want to use with it.
K100 is the one most easily available, the K100Super as well but for a bit more cash, an *istD is very tempting for it's better ergonomics.
( I hardly use long lenses and therefore believe that the missing IS would not be a big issue, but you may teach me otherwise )

Can anybody point out which are the big pluses of either the *istD or the K100?

- the 2 wheels of the istD: what other convenience does it give me besides being able to adjust both aperture and shutter speed with wheels when in manual mode?
- the TTL flash support of the *ist...well, I do not own any flash and would not know what I am missing..but might in the future!
- how much difference does the pentaprism viewfinder make, specially in ref. to using manual focus lenses?
besides the bigger LCD of the K100 and K100Super and the IS which the *istD lacks, which other not yet mentioned differences are there? - specially also when used with manual lenses?

thank you very much for any input,
Andreas

Last edited by kuuan; 04-24-2008 at 01:53 AM. Reason: adding one more question
04-24-2008, 02:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Having gone from a DS to a K10 I would not now be without S/R

It enables you to shoot any lens at a lower shutter speed than you would have done previously. You can achieve broader DOF with a short lens in poor light....it is not just for long lens use.
04-24-2008, 04:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have owend an *istD since they first came out in late 2003. I then waited until the K10D came out for a second body.

The pros and cons of you goinf for a K100 over the *istD are.

K100
pros
- faster image processing
- uses DS card, now "standard" in all pentax DSLRs
- shake reduction
- potentially slight improvement at high ISO (later version of 6 MP chip
- larger display
Cons
- P-TTL flash only
- single thumbwheel control
- pentamirror

*istD
pros
- better ergonomics with dual thumb wheel control
- possibility to add battery grip
- TTL flash capable, Allows flash metering with K mount and screw mount lenses
- pentaprism view finder
cons
- image processing is slow by today's standards
- uses CF cards, not used in any later pentax cameras
04-24-2008, 05:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You can also consider istDS which will run about $200 less than K100 and you have TTL pentaprism, SD card support and I believe TTL flash (no SR though).

04-24-2008, 06:43 AM   #5

If I'm not wrong with M42 and K lenses, on the camera you can change
only shutter speed so the second wheel is for no use or at least you cannot
change the aperture.
04-24-2008, 06:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't see why the istD would cost more than the 100D. Personally, I use the istD as the main and the backup camera. I had the 100D and got rid of it faster than I could shake a stick - especially the batteries, they drained way too fast.

I will let the more experienced people answer the questions about the lenses.

Ciao
04-24-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank's for all the input.

Thank's drabina for pointing out the *istDS. It does have the pentaprism viewfinder but it's dioptre adjustment iis -2.5 to +1.5 ( as have the K100Ds ) as opposed to the -2.0 to +1.0 adjustment of the *istD. This is a real advantage for me as I will need the +1.5, the + 1.0 would be insuffivient!

JCSullivan I never have heard about the bad battery performance of the K100D, a very interesting observation!
but there must have been some misunderstanding abt. the prize, yes, the *istD will be cheaper than the K100D. The *istDS will be cheapest, the *istD next, the K100D more expensive and the K100D Super the most expensive. I am in Japan now and they are, in this order, from about 200 to 350 USD without lens and abt. + 50 USD with the stock 18-55mm lens.

I will refer to more of your insights later, for now I hope that still more will be coming.

thank you,
Andreas
04-24-2008, 08:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pvanni Quote
If I'm not wrong with M42 and K lenses, on the camera you can change
only shutter speed so the second wheel is for no use or at least you cannot
change the aperture.

While the second wheel does not offer much for manual lenses, I have to assume that at some future point, he will actually buy something new.

04-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #9

I've had a K100D Super since January. I have read about K100D battery issues on this board, but have yet to experience any trouble with my own camera.

A $10 pack-of-four low-discharge Ray-O-Vac Hybrid NiMH cells gets me many hundreds of shots between charges. but I'm just one guy with one camera and I don't doubt those who have had less success.

I think at least one of the following three things are happening:
1. They fixed the problem with the K100D Super, or
2. Some units have the problem, some don't, or
3. Those who have trouble could have wonky cells/chargers.
04-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davlee Quote
I've had a K100D Super since January. I have read about K100D battery issues on this board, but have yet to experience any trouble with my own camera.

A $10 pack-of-four low-discharge Ray-O-Vac Hybrid NiMH cells gets me many hundreds of shots between charges. but I'm just one guy with one camera and I don't doubt those who have had less success.

I think at least one of the following three things are happening:
1. They fixed the problem with the K100D Super, or
2. Some units have the problem, some don't, or
3. Those who have trouble could have wonky cells/chargers.
I'll take door number 3. I use a variety of different NiMH batteries, and some have degraded and no longer hold a charge properly shen used in my *istD. but properly charged batteries last hundreds of shots IF, and only IF, you don't spend hours on image review. the LCD burns power. I turn mine off, and check only occasionally while shooting.

On the K100 there is an additional power consumer, shake reduction. this can, if you are using it a lot and focusing, a lot also burn the batteries down.

I think the problem is a combination of bad batteries and users that don;t realize the power utilization requirements of their shooting/usage style
04-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Lowell/Davlee, I don't want to h'jack this thread but had to reply.

I hardly ever chimp so LCD is switched-off. No matter which batteries or charger I used, it was a bad experience on the 100D besides, all work well on the istD.
04-26-2008, 04:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
got the *istDS

bought today the *istDS, second hand but as new together with the Tamron 18-200. I got the package for quite little money so I could not resist and went for the *istDS.

As I had bought it here in Japan, the software and the manual both are in japanese. I guess I won't need the software, but I really would love to get hold of an english manual. When I tried to download it from the Pentax global site however, clicking on download, a new browser window opened but no download had started. Same happened when trying download it from the British Pentax site.

Well, the PC I am on has japanese OS installed which I cannot read, so I am a bit helpless, but I am sure that there is a working Acrobat Reader installed, so I have no idea why I cannot download the *istDS manual.

Can anybody please help?

thank's a lot,
Andreas
04-26-2008, 05:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Andreas, I don't have the DS but I'm sure someone will come along to the rescue - they ALWAYS do HERE.
04-26-2008, 06:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you Sullivan,

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Andreas, I don't have the DS but I'm sure someone will come along to the rescue - they ALWAYS do HERE.
hopefully so...;-)

I found out that the downloads of the most recent models, K20d and K200D also would not work. So it seems that it is not the downloads of the older models that don't work, but that this PC is not working as expected...( but I won't touch this japanese OS system, it is as clicking blind )

so...I really would need somebody to send it to me

Last edited by kuuan; 04-26-2008 at 06:08 AM. Reason: add ons
04-26-2008, 06:12 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by kuuan Quote
....I cannot download the *istDS manual.

Can anybody please help?

thank's a lot,
Andreas
There are several sources to download:
http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/istDS_repl_061405_web.pdf
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/pdf/istDS_repl_061405_web.pdf
Pentax ist DS Operation Manual Ebooks Download | Acrobat PDF Files

I guess you may need to check settings of pop-up filter in your browser. Good luck