Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2014, 02:13 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K5 IIs or K3

Okay, bear with me - one more.

Still debating on that K5 IIs.

What are your intuitions on the market pricing for the K3? We're seeing good deals with add-ons, but I'd prefer to see the price on the camera itself come down. Any thoughts on when we might see a K3 under $1,000?

The K3 is surely a step up from the K5 IIs, but am I beating myself up too much over the difference? Do I wait, or jump on the K5?

Talk to me, I'm indecisive.

04-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by applejax Quote
Okay, bear with me - one more.

Still debating on that K5 IIs.

What are your intuitions on the market pricing for the K3? We're seeing good deals with add-ons, but I'd prefer to see the price on the camera itself come down. Any thoughts on when we might see a K3 under $1,000?

The K3 is surely a step up from the K5 IIs, but am I beating myself up too much over the difference? Do I wait, or jump on the K5?

Talk to me, I'm indecisive.
In the US the MSRP of the K-3 hasn't budged, but most stores are offering free extras that bring the price of the body well below $1000. See: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/258430-adorama-k-3-...p-flucard.html

Assuming the camera is meeting sales expectations, my hunch is that the base price will stay at $1299 until that price point is no longer seen as competitive. The Nikon D7100 has recently dropped to $1399 with a 18-140mm lens ($1099 body only), so it's possible that Pentax USA will also launch an instant rebate later this year to stay in the game. This could also happen if the competition announces a successor to one of their high-end cameras.

The K-5 IIs is essentially half the price of the K-3, and it's still a wonderful camera. But you do get a lot more with the K-3, which I won't spell out here as our review covers it in detail.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Focus peaking alone makes all the difference to me. Makes MF lenses more of a joy to use.
04-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If you're at a place in life where the price difference doesn't mean much, get the K-3. Otherwise, get the K-5 IIs and you'll be very happy.

04-28-2014, 11:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

think of it this way. if you get the k5iis you might say at some point "what if i got the k-3" you might want the k-3. if you do get the k-3 however you will definitely not look back.
depends if you're willing to pay the price for it. personally, id save up for the k-3. think of all the cropping you can do
04-29-2014, 12:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

I got my K-5iis 2 weeks ago, had the same decision to make, while my K-30 is in for aperture motor repair....If you've got the money, and want it, go for the K-3...for shooting sports like rugby, hockey etc, even with old slow poke 55-300, in low light, no focus problems..., K-5iis more than meet my requirements... in the end the price difference was just not worth it for me, I'd rather save up for a DA15ltd I want or the FF that's coming
05-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

K-5IIs has better physical controls, and there is no other camera on the market that can match it at its current price. That being said, you might always have that K-3 lust lingering in the back of your head (trust me, I know).
05-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #8

I am currently thinking of upgrading myself...right now the K5IIs is in the lead for me because of the price and its well known low light performance because i tend to shoot alot at night (that ISO 80) but the K3 is very tempting too for whats its currently going for on amazon (little over $1,000 on amazon) but if i had the money and a choice i would probably go for the k5iis because i dont shoot video and i dont really need the 2 memory card slots or the larger sensor. so the K5IIs would suit my needs and i can use the rest of the cash to buy another lens haha

05-30-2014, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #9

I was in the same camp as you not too long ago. I was debating back and forth with myself about the advantages and disadvantages of each one. To me it came down to the price and the other tangible problems of going from a 12MP camera to a 24MP one.

From my workflow and knowing how large the RAW files were going to get, coupled with the fact that I don't print larger than 12x10, and most of my work ends up online, the jump to 24MP wasn't worth it. Did I need dual memory card slots & wi-fi capabilities? Not really.

So after all that, I went away with a K5IIs. Have been really happy with it too.
05-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Just the faster AF is a good reason to get the K3
05-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Focus peaking alone makes all the difference to me. Makes MF lenses more of a joy to use.
You can get that for less with the K-30 or K-50, with the same sensor as K5IIs.
06-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

You can see the K3 like looking and the spec and think you don't need it. You don't do big print, you don't need 2 memory slots and so on!

Reallity is that the K3 is a better camera. You fell it in everyshoot you take. You can say goodbye to most AF problem and exposure is just right in more case than before. The sharpness is really better not just because of this 24MP or the optional low pass filter, but also because the AF is more accurate and so focus is just right.

The added cropping capability when using a prime is also fantastic. Viewing a picture @100% and it just very sharp. This give you more possibilities in post processing and reduce the need to buy very expensive long lenses.
06-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #13

Original Poster
The K5 is undoubtedly an upgrade over my K10d, but the K3 is what makes my mouth water. I've reviewed many picture samples, and given a good lens, the K3 shots seem to gain an advantage. Perhaps psychosomatic as i have seen K5 pictures that look great, but on average of many samples, I found the K3 pics to have a little extra "something". Combine that with the other improvements, like autofocus, and I think it's worth waiting a bit to see if the K3 narrows the price margin between itself and the K5.