Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
One thing i always meant to test on the 30D and never did: how do K10D meter in stop down metering when using spot instead of average or evaluative/matrix metering.
I once read the theory the closing iris affects how the outer zones meter compared to the still bright center. Always meant to test it, seeing how this is a hot topic here, if i encounter the issue on the K20D as well, i may have to test it. Right now all i can wonder while the cam is in a UPS truck or plane somewhere.

Hope this helps any.
Evaluative metering is disabled when using stop-down metering. Default is center-weighted with spot as an option.

Steve

04-28-2008, 07:13 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Evaluative metering is disabled when using stop-down metering. Default is center-weighted with spot as an option.

Steve
ahh, ok, I knew full scene metering wasn't an option in "M" mode
04-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not that i have memorized the entire K20D manual or anything, i just see nothing in it that suggests that, could you point me to some info that shows this limitation to manual == only spot metering available?

I see you all type/answer quicker than me, so who uses their K10D in spot meter, does this affect the amount of (mis)exposure (mis since it seems over or under is both common?)

Thanks,

Daniel
04-28-2008, 09:10 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Not that i have memorized the entire K20D manual or anything, i just see nothing in it that suggests that, could you point me to some info that shows this limitation to manual == only spot metering available?

I see you all type/answer quicker than me, so who uses their K10D in spot meter, does this affect the amount of (mis)exposure (mis since it seems over or under is both common?)

Thanks,

Daniel
A little bit of clarification . I own a K10D, but am assuming that the K20D is similar. This is how it works on my camera (maybe it is even in the manual...).
  • M-mode with DA lens: support for all metering modes (evaluative, center-weighted, and spot). Green button sets an appropriate exposure without stopping down the lens. Stop-down metering is not supported.
  • M-mode with FA/A series lens, aperture ring locked in A position: same as for DA.
  • M-mode with FA/A/M lens, aperture ring used to set aperture: meter mode defaults to center-weighted and spot metering is available. Evaluative metering is NOT available. Exposure is set using green button or DOF preview lever (stop-down metering).
  • M-mode with M42 lens: basically the same as above, but the camera controls do not stop down the lens.
  • AV Mode with M42 lens: defaults to center-weighted with option for spot metering. Evaluative metering is not available. Adjust the aperture and the camera will choose the shutter speed. Very handy.

To answer the rest of your question. I did a few quick tests and YES, metering is flakey in spot mode as well. The general behavior for a particular lens is similar to what you see in center-weighted mode.

Enjoy!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-28-2008 at 09:25 PM.
04-28-2008, 09:37 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Stevebrot,

so not much will change for me, i will still get to learn which lens stopped down i will comp how much. Av is what i mostly shot with the beforementioned "intuitive compensation".
I think i should be more disciplined about "M", if i stop down the lens 2 stops, and i had a good exposure, i should change the shutter 2 stops and not get any surprises, but i admit, Av with a little intuition is just so tempting
04-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Thanks Stevebrot,

so not much will change for me, i will still get to learn which lens stopped down i will comp how much. Av is what i mostly shot with the beforementioned "intuitive compensation".
I think i should be more disciplined about "M", if i stop down the lens 2 stops, and i had a good exposure, i should change the shutter 2 stops and not get any surprises, but i admit, Av with a little intuition is just so tempting
It sounds like you do about what I do! Good luck with your exploration!
05-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #37
Pentaxian

see also this link
i appologize for the title, but was a little grumpy after being accused of several things, when reporting the metering issue
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/241716-post69.html