Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How (IF?) do you use the Digital/Optical Preview feature?
Custom Settings are set to OPTICAL Preview (default setting) 5056.18%
Custom Settings are set to DIGITAL Preview 2224.72%
I know what these are, but do not use them 1112.36%
I do not use Digital or Optical Preview because I dont know what they are! 66.74%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #1

Digital or Optical Preview?

I've been wondering what that circular-looking icon is on the ON/OFF switch on my K10, so I decided to look it up. Turns out it's optical/digital preview .. so I decided to put two questions out there:

1) Do you use this? When? (ok, that's two in one)
2) If you use it, do you have it set to Optical or Digital preview?

Not sure if I see the benefit in this feature, but I am open to your feedback!

Attached Images

04-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've played with both, but I prefer Optical Preview as it give me a better look at DOF, much like my old Spotmatic II.
04-24-2008, 03:36 PM   #3

1. I use it whenenver I need to judge the DOF
2. I concider digital preview a waste of time, because I need to move the camera from the eye to check at the LCD. Optical preview is IMO a lot more practical.

MaritimTim
04-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Trouble with optical preview I'm finding is that I dont seen any additional DOF reduction with lenses above f2.8. Apparently something about the microlenses on the viewscreen causes this?

04-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Forum Member

I use it when I need to check the depth of field.
I have it set to optical preview.
04-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter

On K10D its optical all the way. Digital preview is stupid. If you take the best shot of your life, in digital preview, it can't be saved (changed that on K20D).
K20D also has live view. This is tough. I want both optical and live view without going into the menu to change back and forth all the time. Turn the useless, to me, raw button into a shift between the two! People ask why I can't use live view for dof preview. If its low light and you are trying long exposures live view goes dark ay f11-22. Olympus E330 allows both with the push of a button.
thanks
barondla
04-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Geekybiker Quote
Trouble with optical preview I'm finding is that I dont seen any additional DOF reduction with lenses above f2.8. Apparently something about the microlenses on the viewscreen causes this?
That's because the lens is already wide open. What you see on the viewfinder is always the lens at the largest aperture, it only stops down while taking the picture, hence the need for DOF preview!
04-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #8

I actually set mine to digitial because it is really good for chimping flash shots. Doesn't waste your memory cards while you set up flashes correctly. I set it to optical when I need to. Its a mix of both really.

04-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I use digital for checking correct exposure and also checking external flash placement. I figured out how to judge if the image it gives me is correct or not. Histogram...pssh...I know it's not "correct" but go ahead and flame me. I don't care.

I haven't missed any life changing images...that always happens when reaching for the camera will scare away the subject.
04-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Optical most of the time and digital for flash use as others have suggested
04-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the optical preview. It allows me to gauge the depth of field of the current focal length setting and the current aperture. It takes a bit of time to get used to reading the dark viewfinder, but once you have it in your learning memory, it becomes invaluable.

Note that the dof might be so that I do NOT include some of the back/fore ground as often as when I want to make sure that daisy is still adequately in focus to set of Mount Saint Helens. Try it, you might like it!
04-24-2008, 08:04 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I use the optical preview. It allows me to gauge the depth of field of the current focal length setting and the current aperture. It takes a bit of time to get used to reading the dark viewfinder, but once you have it in your learning memory, it becomes invaluable.

Note that the dof might be so that I do NOT include some of the back/fore ground as often as when I want to make sure that daisy is still adequately in focus to set of Mount Saint Helens. Try it, you might like it!
OK, call me crazy but I don't get it! I checked my Custom menu, and it's on Optical ... I look thru my VF and click the switch over to Preview ... and .. what am I supposed to see? All I notice is the f-stop/ss/ev info goes away! I must be doing something wrong ..
04-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deludel Quote
OK, call me crazy but I don't get it! I checked my Custom menu, and it's on Optical ... I look thru my VF and click the switch over to Preview ... and .. what am I supposed to see? All I notice is the f-stop/ss/ev info goes away! I must be doing something wrong ..
If nothing happens, you just might have the lens set to a wide open aperture. Set your lens to f/16 and pull the switch over. If you are setting the aperture on the lens ring - make sure you have [Use aperture ring] set to [Permitted] - the default is denied, although I cannot see why this would ever be set that way.
04-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
On K10D its optical all the way. Digital preview is stupid. If you take the best shot of your life, in digital preview, it can't be saved (changed that on K20D).
K20D also has live view. This is tough. I want both optical and live view without going into the menu to change back and forth all the time. Turn the useless, to me, raw button into a shift between the two! People ask why I can't use live view for dof preview. If its low light and you are trying long exposures live view goes dark ay f11-22. Olympus E330 allows both with the push of a button.
thanks
barondla
Press the Fn button on a K200D while the digital preview image is displayed will save that "best shot of your life" as a JPEG. K200D manual pg 113.
04-24-2008, 08:40 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Geekybiker Quote
You will never see a reduction in depth of field when using the DOF preview -- you will only see a greater depth of field (assuming that you are stopping down). Your aperture is always wide open until you take the shot, so you will be looking at the minimum depth of field unless you are using the DOF preview.