Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2007, 10:17 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Louis Quote
Yes I have seen the same problem with my G5 mac also. In the Adobe format I try to open an image and my PritureSync software opens! I guess I'll just have to wait for Apple to add the Pentax K10D converter or move from Apple software to Lightroom.
Louis,

In the Mac OS, you can control what program is used to open DNG files by selecting one such file in the Finder, going to File > Get Info (or type command-I), tell the dialog what program to use to open this file and then tell it to use this setting for all files of this type. I am writing this on a Windows machine and don't recall the precise text of the settings but you'll figure it out easily enough, I think. You can for example tell the OS always to use iPhoto, or iView, or Graphic Converter, or Safari or whatever to open files of a certain type.

Will

01-29-2007, 12:17 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes Will, you can save in either RAW format. Adobe, or the Pentax.

Its suppose to make it easy to use for those software packages that do not have the Pentax format, but do have the Adobe I think.

Rob
01-29-2007, 12:27 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I also found out that iphoto still will only convert Raw files to TIFF (If you tell it to that is) however it is limited to 8 bits I think, and not 12. The Pentax software will all 12 I think. (I need to really take a harder look).
I tend to save stuff in TIFF, by default. They if its not what I need, change it. (If I can remember how, its been a while).

I may just attempt to get Elements for iphoto, and just use that to convert all the files and bypass the iphoto conversion problem.

Also, I have downloaded the Silkypics free version and tried to open it and it keeps asking for a password. So I have not gotten to use it. I have written support (in Japan) and still gotten no reply. They sure take thier time getting back to you. All I want to do is open it. LOL!

Well, thats it from the Funny farm,

Thanks all,

Rob.K
02-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #19

Rob:
Adobe Lightroom will retail for $199 until sometime in April when it first comes out in a couple of weeks. If your budget will stretch to that, I'd STRONGLY urge you to consider it instead of Elements. While doing about 80-85% of what Photoshop does, there are parts of Elements that will make you kick yourself for buying it as you gain experience. Options include buying Apple's Aperture (which is one of the programs I use on my 3 Intel Macs), and, of course, Photoshop. If you or someone in your house is either in school or associated with a school as an employee, etc. there is also the option of educational pricing for buying software-a considerable savings avenue many either forget about or overlook. Regardless, ALL the photo editing software out there performs decently on an Intel Mac. I've tested them all and am still combing through my choices as well as yourself!
BTW, I'm a retired Apple-certified computer network engineer who's supported most of the top 5 Ad agencies at one time or another and a Mac diehard for the last 20 years (hence, my "handle")
Rob W

02-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #20

MacDaddy,
It would be very useful to me if, when you come to a conclusion or conclusions, you could post a discrete thread on your findings.
It's all very new to me and, being a bit of a 'Grey Nomad", I have neither the continuity of access to the digital world, nor the time and money neccessary to research the whole field for myself.
02-03-2007, 12:14 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
MacDaddy,
(I love the screen name by the way).
I a day or so ago got elements, and I have ordered Bibble to plug into Elements. Bibble has a few things in that I can really use, and I want to give it a shot.
But if what happens for me that I am hoping for, I will get the Apple product at some point.

I am glad to hear that you have some good info on the Intel Mac and some of the software. I am sure that will come in handy for use Mac guys. (And gals).

Let me ask you something, if you had the chance to try SilkyPics (Paid version) what are your thoughts on it? I tried the free version, and it works ok, but so many of the adjustments were locked that I in no way for a good feel for the product.

Thanks,
Rob.K
02-03-2007, 10:14 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
A bit more of a software question.

Hi you all,

I wanted to dig a bit deeper with the software issue.

I wanted to run this by you. I have seen that iphoto AND Elements 4 will only convert a RAW file to 8 bits worth 16 bits for TIFF conversion. But the Cheaper Pentax software will go to 16 bit if I wanted. (Would I be better off using the Pentax stuff that came with the camera until I can get some of the better software?)

Now I am still rather new to digital, but I thought that the higher the bit count, the better the image. Would anyone be willing to tell me just how this is? And between an 8 and 12 bit Tiff file, what would one see that would show the difference?

I am assuming that the SilkyPics will go as far as 16 bit for Tiff. (The free version in the Pentax software does, so I assume that the Paid version will as well.) Can anyone tell me?

And as far as photo organazation, what are you guys using? (And Mac guys, what are you using other then iphoto)

An update for the Elements that I got for my Macbook. I do not like the way it acts at all. It was not written for the Intel Mac, and is for the PowerPC, so I am assuming that its the tranlation being done with Rosetta thats making it so slow and "cluncky" feeling. I do not recall it acting like this with a G4 Power book. And yes, I have plenty of RAM. I am running 2GB, and the software says that its using about 70%. So thats not an issue.

Thanks for all the help with this guys.

Rob.K
02-04-2007, 06:53 AM   #23

Rob: (Heh! It's like talking to myself!)
Until and unless you start printing your own or get into more professional levels of printing, the "overhead" to have 16 bit or 12 bit TIFFs isn't worth the aggravation. There will also be workflow issues with software that doesn't play well with 16 bit (12 bit TIFFS are no real problem). The MAIN reason to go to the higher bit count begins when you get skilled enough to start doing HDR photos, which I plan to start playing with when Photoshop 3 comes out in summer '07.
I haven't had a chance to play with the retail version of SilkyPics, but will e-mail my Ad agency friends and find one who has to get an end-user real world report for the forum.
As for photo organization, since you're currently doing it "on the cheap" iPhoto works just fine. I'd either plunk down the coin for Adobe's Lightroom as soon as it gets out (Remember; $199 until sometime in April!) and have a true professional program or get Apple's Aperture (which is what I currently use) through someone at educational pricing, which will be the same. Rumor says that Apple will have a significant upgrade for it soon after Adobes product ships. Stay tuned on THAT one, because the war is on!
Elements for Mac isn't keeping pace with the windoze version and won't until Adobe diverts resources from Photoshop 3 and Lightroom to make it Universal-which I don't expect until fall '07.
Rolly, over the next 2 months I intend to get and try several photo processing and asset management apps and try them out. I will also tap my contacts at several Ad agencies who use them in real world situations and will try to put an extensive comparative report out on the forum for everyone to see, hopefully by the end of April. The timing will depend on when Lightroom actually ships, as I want to look at at least 8 products for you all. So stay tuned; I'm not the expert reviewer that some are, but I'll do my durndest to help you all, since I face the same issues!
rob W

02-04-2007, 07:18 AM   #24
Veteran Member

G5 and DNG Raw

QuoteOriginally posted by Louis Quote
Yes I have seen the same problem with my G5 mac also. In the Adobe format I try to open an image and my PritureSync software opens! I guess I'll just have to wait for Apple to add the Pentax K10D converter or move from Apple software to Lightroom.

Louis
I'm not sure if I understand your problem or if it really is one. If I do understand your problem correctly, I see it more of a workflow problem. None the less here is the work around. I use PS CS2 on my Dual Mac G5 2.3 Ghz. This is what I always do and have always done after a shoot.

I obviously download the images to my Mac. After doing so I open PS and click to open the recently downloaded file that is on my desktop. These are obviously in RAW. All of the images will then be open in File Browser in PS. I click on a chosen image once to bring up a large preview on the left hand side of the File Browser page and twice to open the image in Camera Raw. Pentax were brilliant in providing a native Camera Raw plug in with their camera so anyone using the older versions of PS can still open up the files. I much prefer the Camera Raw program than the program provided by Pentax, which is quite slow.

There should be no problem what so ever opening Raw files, if you first open PS and import as I stated above.

PS..Have you set up your preferences to make PS your native image software?

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 02-04-2007 at 07:25 AM.
02-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #25

Rob K. and others:
Some excellent tutorials for various workflow issues, as well as just general knowledge, are available here:
Photoshop and Digital Photography Tips, Articles & Tutorials @ Earthbound Light
Rob W
02-08-2007, 01:23 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
This is a good read, thanks for posting it.

I have pretty much started to work a plan. I am going to use my Gateway as I can use some software that I have here. Elements 5, and Bibble 4.9 will plug into that as well. (I am mainly after the noise correction, and the Black and White abilities). But before I do that, I will need o get another Gig of Ram, as it recommends that for 10 MP files to have atleast 768 Ram anyway. So thats whats cooking here.

By the way, I have a line of a guy that keeps the Jump Start DVDs in stock, as well as other odds and ends. Its "Camera books". I have the contact info here if anyone wants it. I am going to look the DVD over this weekend.

Thanks for all the help. I learn a lot from these postings.

Rob.K
02-08-2007, 04:54 AM   #27

Rob:
Ever get over to the Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill? If not, it's a superb place to practice your photographic skills on everything from architecture to people to macro to village scenes. My wife and I went in 2004 and I took over 2000 shots in 3 days. Especially intriguing for photogs are the twin staircases in the Trustee's Buidling. They are world famous for their symmetry and a stunning shot if you get it with a wide angle lens! I believe it's less than 90 minutes from you (and 6 hours from me here in North Georgia).
Rob W
02-09-2007, 08:26 AM   #28

Check out Raw Developer by Iridient Digital. It's Mac only and it's only $99, and it handles PEF better than anything I've tried. There is a free demo that never expires but it will watermark anything you try to save. The developer is very quick to respond to questions. I was going to hold out to give the Lightroom 1.0 demo a try (I've used Beta 4 for the past several months), but I went ahead and bought RD a couple days ago.
02-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have never been to the VIillage, only see photos.

We have a few places here that are nice to shoot. But I guess that sometimes we tend to pass up whats common for us, and where we live. I think I need to rethink that a bit.

The Gateway is working out well. I just need about a Gig more Ram to really deal with a few issues in that area.

I am looking forward to some events here in the Spring-Fall months. I have done a lot of "people" stuff. Photojournalistic stuff. I have been told that I tend to catch people rather well. I just need more guts to get out there an do it I suppose.

Thanks,
Rob.K
02-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Mac's

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob.K Quote
Hello,

I am new to the forum, si if this has been asked before, I am sorry to do so again.

I have the K10D. Its a very nice DSLR.

But my question is software related.

I have a MAC running Tiger, (OX 10.4) and have iphoto. Thats not a bad program. But its not at all meant to do a lot of work with the RAW format, but it will read that format in some cases.

I have not used the CD that came with the camera, so I have no idea how that software works.

I have looked into Elements 4 for MAC. (Thats the highest that there is for that format now). Its nice as it will plug into iphoto, and works well with it.

Bit I have run into a few problems with that. 1. The product was written for the Power PC Macs. And I have an Intel Mac now. So I am not sure of it will work or not, and if it does, how well.

And I also wonder where to get a good manual for version 4 for MAC. The Mac version is kind of odd. Its indeed version 4, but has the version 3 interface. So, there are no books out for the Mac version yet. Not even from Adobe.

So I am trying to find me something that will work well for me. And I was wondering what many of you used that had Mac computers.

I would be grateful for any shared insight.

Rob.K

Hello Rob;

I am also running Tiger 10.4.8 on my Dual G5 2.3 GHz. I am using PS CS2. However the great thing about the K10D is it has it's own DNG plug in that works on any PS from 7 and up. All you have to do is take the images, open photoshop, click on the Raw files and Camera Raw will open. Just make sure you choose RAW DNG in the K10D menu. I prefer shooting in RAW DNG. You can use Elements 4 with the Pentax. It has Camera Raw as well. If you can buy Photoshop CS (8) get it. It should be about the price of elements and has everything you'll need.

Ben