Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
cameras like the k10 are more about "bragging rights" than anything else..
trog
Bit of a sweeping statement that.. I really don't believe that was my motivation, much faster buffering than my *istD had something to do with it..

As far as Frank's choice is concerned, it is obviously what matters to Frank that matters. He has already shown with his pictures that he knows what he is doing and I have no doubt that he will produce fine pictures with whichever camera he uses. There is no reason that I can see to go with a camera that you are not totally comfortable with.

dave

01-27-2007, 07:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member

> I'm asking your opinion here. Wonder if I should get a K100D instead of keeping my K10D.

If I must keep one, I must choose the K100D.

> I know the K10D has alot more features, but the feature I really cared about was SR. K100D has SR too, and seems (to me at least) equally effective. As to the other features like weather sealing, wireless flash control, bigger buffer, RAW+jpg, and of course 4 extra mps are all not really needed for me.

Me 2.

> I prefer K100D's smaller size, better high ISO performance (especially at ISO800 and 1600 which I used alot w/ my Ds). If it had K10D's viewfinder, I'd've got it in the first place. I think the only thing I might miss is the gorgeous viewfinder of K10D. But nowadays I don't use manual lens that often, so I think it's not that a big deal to me. And another thing is that I shoot jpg alot, and I have to say that I'm not that satisfied w/ the high jpg compress ratio of K10D. Seems K100D is better in this aspect.

Me 2 and Me 2.

> Oh BTW, I got the Pentax O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier so I think virtually I can convert K100D's viewfinder to a Ds' viewfinder which I was quite pleased

Then, you'll have a dimmer image after magnifiying.

> Anyway, what's your thought on this? Do you think I should keep the K10D for its advanced features or swap a K100D for my personal preference (smaller/light camera, better high ISO performance, better jpg output and etc.)?

My short comment is K100D is a more mature camera whilst the K10D is a less than mature camera, despite it has more feature and with a higher specs.

Good luck, Frank! But for kid portraits, mobility and portability is a key concern, I think. And yes, kids are money eaters but they haven't charged you for model fee, have they? :-)
01-27-2007, 08:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks again for all of your comments and inputs. Just sold off the K10D. Will be getting a K100D soon.

BTW, nice seeing and talking to you here, RichHigh. Nice job w/ your blog too.

Cheers!
01-27-2007, 10:20 AM   #19
Veteran Member

dunno dave.. but if there is any truth in the "mega pixels sell cameras" philosophy "bragging rights" plays major part in most consumer camera purchases..

so sweeping or not i think my comment in a lot of cases has truth in it..

no offense intended for those who buy the camera for genuine reasons but to be honest i do think they are in a minority human nature being what it is..

i also dont take the common view that seems to be taken for granted that the k10 is a "better" camera than the k100.. "better" in some ways but inferior in others..

i even think that when it comes down to it the k100 is the k10s main competitor in the market place.. or at least it should be if the "bragging rights" factor is removed.. sadly it cant be..

trog

ps.. i am bit of a computer hardware freak.. i tend to use computer terms.. "bragging rights" is a term accepted by computer people.. they know it plays a big part in their purchases and openly admit it.. i also admit to buyng computer hardware (and other things) based more on "bragging rights " than actual need.. i dont need a computer that calculates pi to one million decimal places in 25 seconds.. but i have one that does.. he he

i also cant see any valid reason why a k10 will enables me to take "better" pictures than my k100 does.. i cant see how it enables anyone else to either.. so that leaves me with "bragging rights"..

and i do kinda get p-issed off with the usual.. well if u dont need the extra features a semi pro camera gives u over your entry level one kinda stuff.. he he.. or if your camera is good enough for u so be it..

course if i went out and bought the k10 all my inferiority complex promlems would go away.. he he he

all said with tongue partly in cheek of course..

Last edited by trog100; 01-27-2007 at 10:46 AM.
01-27-2007, 11:25 AM   #20
Inactive Account

@trog: I bought a Zalman fanless water cooling tower for my computer. Maybe that was 2 years ago, the cool blue model, v1. Oh, I wished I could brag about after throwing away all that money. Noone understood me as I don't know many that interested in computers. Now that I read your post I understand I finally found somebody open for bragging. Thank you!

@Frank: Congrats, to your decision and the fast sell. Noone can say anything is right or wrong, explicitly. But I always like it when somebody have done some hard thinking and settled for something. All the best from me!
01-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

zalman coolers are a visual work of art jonas.. i kinda eyed up one like u have.. he he

trog
01-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote

@Frank: Congrats, to your decision and the fast sell. Noone can say anything is right or wrong, explicitly. But I always like it when somebody have done some hard thinking and settled for something. All the best from me!
Thanks Jonas. I'm sure I'd enjoy the K100D more than I did w/ the K10D. Luckily I didn't lose much for the short detour

Cheers!

01-27-2007, 02:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
no offense intended
trog
And no offense taken trog..

I like the K10, but tend to stay clear of descriptions such as "better" or "best" because they are pretty subjective, and discussions based on such emotions tend, in my opinion, to generate more heat than light

I agree that the desire to have the latest, biggest, fastest etc. has always been an important marketing fact, and I'm not sure that I am totally immune myself.

dave
01-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Just sold off the K10D. Will be getting a K100D soon.
Cheers!
I am very happy for you, Frank. You have sold your K10D (and quickly, too) to get your preferred K100D, and I have no doubt that you will be very happy with your selection. I have seen some of your work, and came to the conclusion that you would have done well with whatever you chose to stay with. I am really looking forward to seeing more of your great captures.
01-27-2007, 05:14 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Thanks trog. Finally somebody understanding why I spent those money for a (silent - which is the real feature of course) watercooler standing on the desk...
01-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Jonas - would you post a picture of this work of art? I've never heard of such a thing (not being into computers beyond "will it run the software I need to do my work") but it sounds intriguing. I'm always terribly impressed with anything that combines both function and looks.

Julie
01-27-2007, 05:36 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Hi Julie,
trog claims it is art... I like industrial environments and don't mind this thing standing on the desk, but I'm not sure it is art. Maybe cool is the right word.

Here:
Zalman's Reserator 1 fanless water cooler - The Tech Report - Page 1

regards,
01-27-2007, 05:54 PM   #28
Veteran Member

this is the one i have.. i even have a see thru side to my computer cos it seemed a shame to hide it away.. he he.. its about six inches by six inches made of pure copper and to me at least combines form with function.. all to cool a cpu chip about as big as your finger nail..

Zalman's CNPS9500 LED CPU cooler - The Tech Report - Page 1

there is art and there is art.. he he

trog

Last edited by trog100; 01-27-2007 at 06:06 PM.
01-27-2007, 07:36 PM   #29
Inactive Account

That's a nice piece of cupper. Not as silent and not as efficient as the Reserator, but... now it is art!
01-28-2007, 06:25 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Jonas, trog, thanks - those are both very cool (ha ha). It's nice to know there are some really creative industrial designers out there. The high-end stereo folks produce some spiffy stuff (that tower would not look out of place beside my husband's Shanling CD player), I guess computers are now as much a part of home decor as the stereo so they're starting to gussy them up a little, even the high performance ones.

Julie