Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2007, 02:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K10D --> K100D? Your opinion please.

Hi All,

I'm asking your opinion here. Wonder if I should get a K100D instead of keeping my K10D.

I know the K10D has alot more features, but the feature I really cared about was SR. K100D has SR too, and seems (to me at least) equally effective. As to the other features like weather sealing, wireless flash control, bigger buffer, RAW+jpg, and of course 4 extra mps are all not really needed for me.

I prefer K100D's smaller size, better high ISO performance (especially at ISO800 and 1600 which I used alot w/ my Ds). If it had K10D's viewfinder, I'd've got it in the first place. I think the only thing I might miss is the gorgeous viewfinder of K10D. But nowadays I don't use manual lens that often, so I think it's not that a big deal to me. And another thing is that I shoot jpg alot, and I have to say that I'm not that satisfied w/ the high jpg compress ratio of K10D. Seems K100D is better in this aspect.

Oh BTW, I got the Pentax O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier so I think virtually I can convert K100D's viewfinder to a Ds' viewfinder which I was quite pleased

Anyway, what's your thought on this? Do you think I should keep the K10D for its advanced features or swap a K100D for my personal preference (smaller/light camera, better high ISO performance, better jpg output and etc.)?

Thanks in advance and Cheers!

Frank

01-25-2007, 03:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Hi All,
Do you think I should keep the K10D for its advanced features or swap a K100D for my personal preference (smaller/light camera, better high ISO performance, better jpg output and etc.)?

Frank
Hi Frank,

You know, the whole matter really boils down to what's most important to you. By the above portion of your message, it would seem to me that your dissatisfaction might continue to reign high regardless of the advanced feature set of the K10D. I have not had the opportunity to A/B the two concerned cameras, but have to say that I (personally) don't find any shortcomings with the K10D's JPEG output. I, in fact, rather prefer it's respective offerings. Heft of the K10D? Well...I love it, myself. I, in fact, wish that it were a little heavier - which is one of the reasons that I have its battery grip on order. High ISO performance? Once again, I have made no comparisons (I'm really, in a sense, kind'a new to much of this), but I have been TRULY happy with what my camera has been giving back to me. This K10D is a WHOLE LOT OF CAMERA, which offers the user much, much room for growth.

There are many good, VERY knowledgable, and EXTREMELY helpful people here - on this forum, but the bottom line is that you are going to have to weigh the pros & cons, of this decisive matter, within your own mindset. If this is sounding course, in any way, please believe that it isn't meant to be. It's just that your stated negatives, on the K10D, would be enough to sway 'me' to something else (if I felt that way) despite the "D's" greater endowment. Give it enough thought, my friend, and I know that you'll make the right decision for yourself.
01-25-2007, 04:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Frank,
Sounds like you've already made the decision. If you are uncomfortable with the K10s handling, then the K100 may be a better choice for your purposes. The only thing I can think of that would be a negative is the slower AF of the K100 may have a harder time keeping up with your kids.

In the end, if you are uncomfortable then you are not going to haul out the camera and then... you would be denying us all those wonderful shots of your kids

I don't think you could go wrong with either camera.

Cheers
-Alan
01-25-2007, 04:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Frank. I bought k100d before k10d came out.

k100d jpegs are cleaner than k10d Jpegs, especially at high ISO range. I have quite a series of pleasant nice images from k100d. It interprets colour very well. It is not so great comparing to k10d when it comes to birding photography I reckon.

k10d is reported to be more effective in SR than k100d. I felt that as well.

I know you do street shots and urban wide angle photography. Protraits of your lovely kids as well. k100d will be probably better for you.

01-25-2007, 06:10 AM   #5
Ed in GA

Well Frank,

I have a K100D which I purchased in September of last year. To date, I shoot JPEGs and like the camera quite well.

"If" I had known the K10D was comin withing a couple of months, I might have waited and purchased it instead.

At this point though, I think I'm glad that I have the K100D as it seems to suit my skill level which is in a steep learning curve.

The one feature, at least for me, that I really like that the K100D has is the AA Battery Power instead of the proprietary battery of the K10D.

I will more than likely purchase a K10D in a year or so after my skill level increases and Pentax has worked most of the bugs out of the K10D.

So, what ever decision you make, based on my knowledge of the K100D, will be a good one.

You can't go wrong with either camera.

ciao`

Ed
01-25-2007, 06:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'll echo Alan, it sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind. I'm very happy with my K100, I chose it over the K10 because I figured most of the K10's features would be lost on me. If you think the K100 is a better fit, I'd say go for it. Whatever you get, I know you'll be taking wonderful photos with it.

Julie
01-25-2007, 06:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

the k100 will serve your needs well enough.. dont be fooled by this skill level stuff.. i dont use 90% of the features my k100 has.. apart from a few extra mega pixels which it dosnt seem to make very effective use of the k10 doesnt have much going for it over the k100..

factor in the price and k100 come out well on top.. cameras like the k10 are more about "bragging rights" than anything else..

fooling entry level users into thinking a less "entry level" camera will make them better photographers.. which is why guys like phil askey think more of cameras like the k100 than they do cameras like the k10..

dont get me wrong for what it is the k10 is nice a camera but the average guy that buys one would be equally well served by the smaller cheaper k100..

trog

Last edited by trog100; 01-25-2007 at 06:53 AM.
01-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for your input. I had the Ds before, liked it alot. Then I got the K10D just over a month ago. I like the SR, the faster AF, RAW+JPG, brighter/clearer viewfinder, but I don't like its size/weight, its high ISO noise (not really that useable to me even at ISO800), high jpg compressing ratio (this might be fixable w/ firmware upgrade, if Pentax care to do so), blownout hightlight. I'm sure I can live with both cameras, but I just don't have the same feel w/ the K10D as I had w/ the Ds.

Just like a couple friends said above, currently I'm more leaning towards the K100D. But the decision hasn't been made yet.

The other thing is that if I'm getting the K100D, I might not be able to take the advantage of those upcoming DA* zoom lenses. But I might not be able to afford those lenses anyway (the two kids are like money eaters)....
01-25-2007, 06:01 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After seeing your wonderful pictures . . . .

. . . . . on the "other forum" over the last year or so, I don't think it matters what camera you use.

You don't need advice from us on what camera to buy, we need advice from you on how to make a camera "sing".

Jerry
01-25-2007, 06:15 PM   #10
Inactive Account

If you decide you want to swap let me know. I have a barely used k100d I would be willing to swap depending how much extra I need to kick in.
01-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Hi All,

I'm asking your opinion here. Wonder if I should get a K100D instead of keeping my K10D.

I know the K10D has alot more features, but the feature I really cared about was SR. K100D has SR too, and seems (to me at least) equally effective. As to the other features like weather sealing, wireless flash control, bigger buffer, RAW+jpg, and of course 4 extra mps are all not really needed for me.

I prefer K100D's smaller size, better high ISO performance (especially at ISO800 and 1600 which I used alot w/ my Ds). If it had K10D's viewfinder, I'd've got it in the first place. I think the only thing I might miss is the gorgeous viewfinder of K10D. But nowadays I don't use manual lens that often, so I think it's not that a big deal to me. And another thing is that I shoot jpg alot, and I have to say that I'm not that satisfied w/ the high jpg compress ratio of K10D. Seems K100D is better in this aspect.

Oh BTW, I got the Pentax O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier so I think virtually I can convert K100D's viewfinder to a Ds' viewfinder which I was quite pleased

Anyway, what's your thought on this? Do you think I should keep the K10D for its advanced features or swap a K100D for my personal preference (smaller/light camera, better high ISO performance, better jpg output and etc.)?

Thanks in advance and Cheers!

Frank
maybe you should be asking... a k10 or a k100 with a really good lens?
I really like my wife's k100 and if I had too wait to long for my k10 I would have likely got the k100 and a nice macro lens (kit lens too)
It did arrive on time, so my choice was easier. Plus I borrowed enough money to get a nice lens too.... the sigma 17-70mm macro. it is very sharp and has good colors.
I think both have there own reason's to own it, but all in all a really good lens on a k100 is likely a better choice then a kit lens on the k10 if you don't need all the extra features of the k10

hope this helps

good luck

cheers

randy
01-25-2007, 09:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Go with the K100d and another lens :-)
01-26-2007, 02:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
maybe you should be asking... a k10 or a k100 with a really good lens?

randy
Frank has plenty of great pentax lenses...

He is into the territory of his own photography reconsidering his camera options ... I wished I could do the protraits like how he did on his children. Really something

Surprised that he asked us for camera opinions
01-26-2007, 07:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again guys for your input. I think I'm gonna settle on a K100D. Now if you are interested in a like new K10D, you know who you can ask

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/buy-sell-trade-forum/2624-pentax-k10d-lik...html#post20987

Cheers!
01-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

nice to see someone that knows what he is doing choosing the k100 over the k10..

an unusual but interesting "upgrade"..

trog