Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Back in the game; looking for new equipment.

Hi all.

After a couple months of having to put my photography on the back burner, I'm back and ready to get serious! New goal: build my skills and a solid photography business over the next 5 years, which will allow me to take photos for a living when I move back to my small town in Michigan.There is a demand for basic shoots (mainly family photos, weddings, and senior portraits) and I'm hoping to set myself up now so I can take over the town (photography-wise) upon my return from Chicago.

Let's get to the equipment talk. I sold my K-50 which came as a kit with a 18-55 f3.5-5.6 lens. Although this was a great camera, I'm taking it a bit more seriously now and want to get as much advice as I can before purchasing a new camera. To be honest, I didn't do enough research before buying my K-50 and quickly realized the basic lens wouldn't take me as far as I wanted to go. I'd like to stay under the $1,000 range with the hopes of purchasing lenses and equipment as my skills improve. I've read that my best bet is to buy the body and lens separately, which is likely what I'll do versus getting another kit lens.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Really glad to be back here and excited to get started on this new journey.

Thank you!

04-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #2

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr. PhunkyPants Quote
For what you're trying to do, I'd get:

1. Pentax K5-IIs, FA 50mm f1.4, and a used AF360-FGZ
2. Refurbished Nikon D7000, an AF-D 50mm f1.8, and a used SB-600

Pretty close to $1000 either way there. Both options also have a 35mm prime as an option. The Nikon strobes are hard to beat for portraiture. I like the look I get from Pentax more for landscapes and other non-people stuff. Good luck. At the end of the day, the camera is just a tool. It's how well you know it and learning how to extract your personal style from it that counts.
Great. Thanks for these options! I agree that the camera is just a tool; hoping to get the best tool possible within my price range so I can start working on my "craft". I haven't worked with an off-camera flash yet, so that will be something to work on!

Thanks again!
04-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #3

Well, if your goal is to get paid for portraiture, the flash is going to be mandatory...best of luck in your endeavors.
04-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #4

I'd recommend setting aside some additional money for studio lighting starter kit (the Strobist has a good setup for a starter kit ~$110 Strobist: Lighting 101 - A Beginner's Lighting Kit , which you'll want to use with maybe an additional 5-in-1 reflector). You should of course to read the full Strobist Lighting 101 guide Strobist: Lighting 101 for a primer :-)

05-01-2014, 04:29 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr. PhunkyPants Quote
Well, if your goal is to get paid for portraiture, the flash is going to be mandatory...best of luck in your endeavors.
Thanks for the well wishes! I'm sure you'll see my name pop up quite a bit on this forum.

---------- Post added 05-01-14 at 06:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by walgarch Quote
I'd recommend setting aside some additional money for studio lighting starter kit (the Strobist has a good setup for a starter kit ~$110 Strobist: Lighting 101 - A Beginner's Lighting Kit , which you'll want to use with maybe an additional 5-in-1 reflector). You should of course to read the full Strobist Lighting 101 guide Strobist: Lighting 101 for a primer :-)
Great! That's another thing to add to my list: studio lighting. I'll take a look at the Strobist!
Thanks again!