Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

HDR Question ?....K20D Review - What Digital Camera magazine May 2008 (Issue 135)

Hi all

I recently picked up the latest edition of What Digital Camera magazine off the shelves of W.H. Smith's newsagents in the U.K. The new Pentax K20D receives an excellent review (88%) by Jamie Harrison (pp 48-53), but I read the following paragraph which slightly bemused me and am therefore seeking an explanation on the the highlighted section by forum members more knowledgeable than I:

QuoteQuote:
Within the playback menu there are several direct image manipulation options including a High Dynamic Range (HDR) function. As far as I am aware this is the first camera to specifically include HDR in its functions, and so may prove popular with the growing subset of photographers who use this technique. It should be noted though, that this is a digital filter and doesn't combine images like true HDR photography.
Any assistance on what this 'digital filter' does and how it differs from the genuine HDR technique would be greatly appreciated,

Best regards
Richard

04-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
JMS

This refers to the "EDR" feature. It basically applies a less contrasty tonal curve. Ignore it. Shoot raw, and you'll be much better off.
04-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi all

I recently picked up the latest edition of What Digital Camera magazine off the shelves of W.H. Smith's newsagents in the U.K. The new Pentax K20D receives an excellent review (88%) by Jamie Harrison (pp 48-53), but I read the following paragraph which slightly bemused me and am therefore seeking an explanation on the the highlighted section by forum members more knowledgeable than I:

Any assistance on what this 'digital filter' does and how it differs from the genuine HDR technique would be greatly appreciated,

Best regards
Richard
The K20D has a high dynamic range selection that, in essence, lowers the contrast of the image so that the highlights and dark areas contain more usable detail.

HDR uses two or more images, and combines them with the same objective. I have used HDR with 5 images from my K10D, at two stop intervals. It's absolutely amazing what can be done this way. The K20D's built in function cannot come anywhere near this.

BUT the setting on the K20D is a heck of a lot less hassle, and does improve the dynamic range to about double. This is a good thing.