Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yet another going on a trip post

Okay, I'm leaving for China next week. My wife and I will be there for 12 days on a quick tour. I always travel light, so I am only planning to take the following camera gear:

K100D
DA 16-45mm
DA 50-200mm
Circular polarizer for 16-45mm
3 sets of batteries
3 - 2Gig SD cards
Canon Powershot S60 - backup
3 batteries for S60
2 - 2Gig CF cards for S60
mini-tripod
Laptop

I've been debating on whether or not to take the F 35-70mm, but have yet to decide. My camera bag is fairly small, I can fit everything in to the bag, but with the F 35-70 it's a tight fit. My FA 80-320mm is just too big to take, and I am mainly into landscape or street photography, so do not think it would be used even if I brought it along. I expect to have the 16-45mm on the camera about 90% of the time.

I am open to any advice or suggests regarding my selection of gear, or travel in China.

Last edited by xs400; 04-25-2008 at 09:54 PM.
04-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the kit is just fine as it is. The 16-45 will also do 1:4 close ups and since the 35-70 is overlapped by your other lenses, I'd leave it home if size and weight is that important. I know you've poted some great stuff from the 35-70 but the 16-45 is equally good.

It's a shame you can't find a way to carry the longer glass. Maybe it won't get a ton of use but If you are carrying the laptop for your backup memory unit then if there is still time, I'd get a smaller battery operated HD for backup storage and take the other lens. I have a 40GB Smartdrive that takes both cards. It's about 2" x4" x 1". Much smaller than a laptop unless you need the computer for other reasons.
04-25-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Peter,
Thanks for you comments. I have to agree, I will leave the 35-70mm at home. Your suggestion to take the 80-320mm and a small HD backup insteaf of the laptop is quite good, I would not have thought of that combination. The only problem is, I don't have a small HD to bring along. Also, I plan to use the laptop to keep in touch with my 19 year old daughter while we are away. My daugher will be taking care of our cat and the house.
04-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Well clearly there is a greater need for the computer Frank. But if you can find space for the big lens in either suitcase, I'd give it a try. But don't loose any sleep over it since the 50-200 is pretty long and the advantage is it's small and light. For a nice travel lens, this one is a standout. Good image quality in a compact package.

I'd say you are well prepared.

Oh are those rechargeable? Do you have an international recharger? I'd guess batteries are available in most cities there without issue.

04-25-2008, 11:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'd say you are well prepared.

Oh are those rechargeable? Do you have an international recharger? I'd guess batteries are available in most cities there without issue.
Thanks.

Yes, the batteries are rechargables - 2 sets of eneloops, a set of 4 sony cyclenergies (they're suppose to be similar to eneloops - we'll see), and 3 batteries for the S60. I also have chargers and a voltage adaptor 220V to 110V

Last edited by xs400; 04-26-2008 at 05:54 PM.
04-25-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Powerpoint is different in china. Make sure you have the right converter for it.

90% of the time, you would basicly just use Da 16-45

Da 50-200 is more than enough if you need to zoom in a few things.

A great set up
04-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I found my monopod invaluable on my recent trip for indoor shots. granted the k100 can handle a bit higher iso's but if you go to any temples or want some nightlife shots, a monopod can be much quicker to use and can be less intrusive to passersby than a tripod, even if it's a mini one. Plus it's can be nice as a hiking stick to give your feet a litttle relief and is a great personal security device too lol

04-26-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
LDB
Forum Member

With that new 17-70 you've been needing you can combine the 80-300 and cover all the bases. Have a safe and fun trip.
04-26-2008, 02:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Frank,
We did China Nov last year. Guilin, Yangshou, Shanghai & Beijing.
Carried the DS & 18-55, Tammy 70-300 & Sig 24mm f1.8. Plus tripod (wasted effort), monopod (went everywhere) and Casio p&s that Anne used.

I found the 18-55 just a tad short in a lot of situations, and missed my Sigma 18-125 big time. Hardly used the Tamron, but when I did I appreciated it. The 24mmf1.8 got a lot of use.

For this type of trip where crowds are an issue I really think something like the 18-250 and a fast prime are the best choice. Believe me, crowds are intense and cut you no slack photograhically. I'm betting you will use the 50-200 a fair bit.

Have a safe and fantastic journey, look forward to viewing your diary when you get back.

Cheers
Grant
04-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Hi Frank,
We did China Nov last year. Guilin, Yangshou, Shanghai & Beijing.
Carried the DS & 18-55, Tammy 70-300 & Sig 24mm f1.8. Plus tripod (wasted effort), monopod (went everywhere) and Casio p&s that Anne used.

I found the 18-55 just a tad short in a lot of situations, and missed my Sigma 18-125 big time. Hardly used the Tamron, but when I did I appreciated it. The 24mmf1.8 got a lot of use.

For this type of trip where crowds are an issue I really think something like the 18-250 and a fast prime are the best choice. Believe me, crowds are intense and cut you no slack photograhically. I'm betting you will use the 50-200 a fair bit.

Have a safe and fantastic journey, look forward to viewing your diary when you get back.

Cheers
Grant
Grant,
Thanks for the tips. If you thought the 18-55 was a bit short, my 16-45 will be even shorter. Maybe I'll bring that 35-70mm with me after all, it might be usful in the cities for street photography.

We're going to Beijing, Xian, Guilin, and Shanghai, so I see many of the places you visited.
Frank
04-26-2008, 06:36 PM   #11
Damn Brit

Just a thought but have you done any research to see how much lenses are in China. You might be able to feed your LBA on the cheap (if of course you are suffering from LBA).
04-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Frank, make sure you are carrying plenty of 1 yuan notes. You will get lots of people trying to get into your shots....and then expecting to be paid. We would shoo them away with Anne learning a local word for what I think is effectively a firm "go away", the term was pronounced something like 'bool-ya' in a strong voice. Seemed to work.

But if you want the water buffalo etc in the shot, be prepared to pay.

A tip that proved very handy was to always grab a few business cards from where you are staying....to show cab drivers to get you home again.

Be sure to do the Li River cruise in Guilin and for a sobering look at life on the other side.... visit a village.
You will have a ball.
Cheers
Grant
04-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Hi Frank, make sure you are carrying plenty of 1 yuan notes. You will get lots of people trying to get into your shots....and then expecting to be paid. We would shoo them away with Anne learning a local word for what I think is effectively a firm "go away", the term was pronounced something like 'bool-ya' in a strong voice. Seemed to work.

But if you want the water buffalo etc in the shot, be prepared to pay.

A tip that proved very handy was to always grab a few business cards from where you are staying....to show cab drivers to get you home again.

Be sure to do the Li River cruise in Guilin and for a sobering look at life on the other side.... visit a village.
You will have a ball.
Cheers
Grant
More good advice!! I'll make sure to carry plenty of 1 yuan notes with me.

We will indeed be taking a cruise on the Li River, it is one of the things I most want to see on the trip.
Frank
04-26-2008, 11:25 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

and a couple of pictures to whet your appetite and the heighten the expectations.

A couple of different methods of cruising on the Li River. We took the bamboo raft, ours was a calm water ride but a bit further along they run these things over small rapids, so my son tells me.
Cheers.
Grant

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 05-22-2008 at 03:49 AM.
04-27-2008, 02:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Mate you cant bring enough memory take 4gbs card on top

be safe

cheers