Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2014, 06:49 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Newshype around myself!

So this week there was a newshype around myself. All going about the upcoming womenssoccer game between Belgium and The Netherlands on may 7th. I had accreditation for this event and was also allowed to make a video about this game. It is the crucial game for the next year World Cup in Canada since both teams have to win to become second in groupe to get a chance in the play-offs at the end off the year.

Then I got the meaasage that I was not welcome because off the images I make. There was no focus on the ball and girls would be seen from the backside mostley.

To back up that "story" there where some images included from the last game I did Belgium - Norway:
https://www.facebook.com/ron.hendriks.56/media_set?set=a.10152348485123970.1...5293969&type=3
It's open to see, but you have to be a member from facebook.

Only the images from the back where chosen from this set and the rest was not known by the person whe=o sended me the negative on my accreditation. So clearly there is one other story.

Since last juli I'm not welcome with the games from the Dutch team. This because we had a big argu about a picture I took there from a girl on a bar, going out off the stadium. This image was published for a short time online but had to be removed by authorithy from the Dutch Soccer league. I went to the newspaper Telegraaf and there in the pressroom was a nasty conversation and the image was not allowed to be published. Since then I didn't get accreditation for games off the Dutch team when playing at home.

So I was on national TV yesterday:

It all started after the local newssite AT5 from Amsterdam contacted me for a publication about this trouble. There was only one small mention before this on a womenssoccersite.
Fotograaf geweigerd bij vrouwenvoetbal om 'billenfoto's' - AT5 Echt Amsterdams Nieuws
Titel: photographer refused for bill pictures

After that the biggest newspaper in The Netherlands took the story:
Sportfotograaf blijkt billengek | Binnenland | Telegraaf.nl
Titel: sports photographer shows buttocks crazy

Well that triggered about anyone alive. So I was on TV, 3 interviews on national radio, mentioned on I don't know how many newssites In The Netherlands and Belgium and also about any radiostation that has time to talk about the thing off the day.

A busy day, but I still have to wait for a change in policy so I can go to the game and take pictures.

The upside where it is all about:

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 05-02-2014 at 07:07 AM.
05-02-2014, 06:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So...if I'm reading this correctly...someone selected a subset of your images featuring rear-views of the athletes and you lost your credentials? Is there no way to remove the selection bias? Perhaps select your own subset without emphasis on derrieres?
05-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

That's crazy. Your images have been outstanding in my opinion.
05-02-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This because we had a big argu about a picture I took there from a girl on a bar, going out off the stadium
I was confused by that statement until I saw the photo of the injured player at the bottom of the OP. For the benefit of others in the United States, I think "bar" = "stretcher".

05-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So this week there was a newshype around myself. All going about the upcoming womenssoccer game between Belgium and The Netherlands on may 7th. I had accreditation for this event and was also allowed to make a video about this game. It is the crucial game for the next year World Cup in Canada since both teams have to win to become second in groupe to get a chance in the play-offs at the end off the year.

Then I got the meaasage that I was not welcome because off the images I make. There was no focus on the ball and girls would be seen from the backside mostley.

To back up that "story" there where some images included from the last game I did Belgium - Norway:
https://www.facebook.com/ron.hendriks.56/media_set?set=a.10152348485123970.1...5293969&type=3
It's open to see, but you have to be a member from facebook.

Only the images from the back where chosen from this set and the rest was not known by the person whe=o sended me the negative on my accreditation. So clearly there is one other story.

Since last juli I'm not welcome with the games from the Dutch team. This because we had a big argu about a picture I took there from a girl on a bar, going out off the stadium. This image was published for a short time online but had to be removed by authorithy from the Dutch Soccer league. I went to the newspaper Telegraaf and there in the pressroom was a nasty conversation and the image was not allowed to be published. Since then I didn't get accreditation for games off the Dutch team when playing at home.

So I was on national TV yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYPvgINv9P0

It all started after the local newssite AT5 from Amsterdam contacted me for a publication about this trouble. There was only one small mention before this on a womenssoccersite.
Fotograaf geweigerd bij vrouwenvoetbal om 'billenfoto's' - AT5 Echt Amsterdams Nieuws
Titel: photographer refused for bill pictures

After that the biggest newspaper in The Netherlands took the story:
Sportfotograaf blijkt billengek | Binnenland | Telegraaf.nl
Titel: sports photographer shows buttocks crazy

Well that triggered about anyone alive. So I was on TV, 3 interviews on national radio, mentioned on I don't know how many newssites In The Netherlands and Belgium and also about any radiostation that has time to talk about the thing off the day.

A busy day, but I still have to wait for a change in policy so I can go to the game and take pictures.

The upside where it is all about:
That's all bu!!sh!t what they did to you.
05-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Wow, what a landslide of attention!
I am surprised that some wanted to characterize you in that way. Your photos are not vulgar at all, they are very tasteful and show sport as being more than just "kicking a ball" - your photos show team spirit, emotion. What I wonder is what the girls in the photos think about this. In my opinion, the main reason not to publish a photo is if the person in the photo objected to it.
I hope you get things sorted out without further problems! The photos are great and I am sure they contribute to the popularity of that sport.

By the way, cool beard.
05-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

In the US we have a saying essentially that "all publicity is good publicity."
So now that you are becoming infamous, I'd suggest you ride the wave and build your brand.

The dustup over the photograph of the injured player is asinine. Girls get hurt and bleed too.
Whenever I cover sports events, I view my role as a reporter of what is happening--including injuries and other aspects of reality.

Maybe you should go all the way and become a member of the sports paparazzi.

M
05-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Classic line from an article: "te weinig bal en te veel bil " (too little ball and too much bottom). Curious though that it's the Belgians that stopped you, not the Dutch according to the Telegraaf article? Also, just how did they stop publication of this photo? What were the terms of the legal contract (was there even one?) between you and the Dutch soccer league about publishing photos?

Last edited by Nass; 05-02-2014 at 10:44 AM.
05-03-2014, 02:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The official statement has changed. I'm still not allowed next game on wednesday, but now because I don't have the right sports presscard. So that is totally acceptable for me. I still do wonder why they started off with the reason for the bottom's on the images. But clearly that didn't worked out the way they thought off.

The girls from the soccer are still happy with and do wonder how I became more famous then they are.
05-06-2014, 12:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There is going to be a talk with the soccerleague to put this thing aside. Like adults should do