Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
Inactive Account

2nd Body Advice Needed

Hi all!

I have a K100D which I am very happy with. I want a 2nd body because I do not like to change lenses (not sure it is laziness or practicality!). I am debating between picking up a *1stD, K100D Super or a K10D.

My interest in the *1st D is that I could then also get another lens (and it is a very good camera from what I have read. My interest in the K100D Super is because of it's SDM capability (the new Pentax 17-70 is SDM only I have read) and I could maybe squeeze out the $$ for a new lens too. The K10D is an obvious choice but if I get it, no additional lens for a while! The lens I want is the 16-45.

Just looking for opinions given my comments.

Thanks to everyone.

Bob

04-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because of SDM, this isn't an easy question to answer. I have a *istD and a K10D. The benefits of the *istD are IMO, TTL metering so almost any flash with the right trigger voltage will work just fine and the camera does better with older glass metering. Feature wise I call the camera a K10D "Jr" since there are more similarities than differences. Just missing SDM and SR as major features. Nice high ISO camera as well but the LCD is a tad small by today's standards.

The K10D is obvious in it's advantages and would be your primary body I'd assume.

The K100D super has an advantage as you already know the camera and switching back and forth on the fly would be easy. It gives you 2 SR bodies and SDM for future lens upgrades plus a little more money to fuel the LBA.

If it was for paid work, then the K10D wins. For features/price and ease of use, then the K100D Super. For price and a second body with some features not available any more, then the *istD. So I can't suggest any particular body but those are the differences I'd consider.
04-26-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rmpjr7 Quote
Hi all!

I have a K100D which I am very happy with. I want a 2nd body because I do not like to change lenses (not sure it is laziness or practicality!). I am debating between picking up a *1stD, K100D Super or a K10D.

My interest in the *1st D is that I could then also get another lens (and it is a very good camera from what I have read. My interest in the K100D Super is because of it's SDM capability (the new Pentax 17-70 is SDM only I have read) and I could maybe squeeze out the $$ for a new lens too. The K10D is an obvious choice but if I get it, no additional lens for a while! The lens I want is the 16-45.

Thanks to everyone.

Bob
If you shoot RAW with the *istD it is unbearably slow. It takes ages to review images on the screen and it also takes CF cards so no compatability there.

You would be far better off with a K100D super which has compatability with the new SDM lenses and SR. Having two cameras nearly the same makes using them interchangeably much easier.

Alternatively buy a Sigma 17-70 for your current camera and you wont have to change lenses much anyway
04-26-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi Bob (Rmpjr7)

Re your thoughts about:
QuoteQuote:
wanting a 2nd body because I do not like to change lenses (not sure it is laziness or practicality!)
I was late to the DSLR marketplace and fortunately had no Pentax legacy equipment to take into consideration, so was able to start with a totally clean slate. Having amassed a sizeable collection of both 35mm and Medium Format film equipment in the past, I had already made a conscious decision to 'down-size' the amount of gear that I lug around with me on vacation. Therefore when the price of the K10D came down to a realistic level last spring, it's purchase was almost a 'no-brainer'. Then the K20D arrived on the scene and the K10D body dropped by another £100.00, so I shortly acquired another one before fresh supplies began to dry up. Thus I never need to swap lenses over nowadays. No doubt this sort of thing flies in the face of the die-hard DSLR brigade, who might reasonably ask:
"What on earth do you need a interchangeable SLR system for ? Wouldn't you be better off with an 'all-in-one' consumer bridge camera ??".
Well, I've previously owned both a Fuji Finepix S602Z & Panasonic FZ20 and although these models offer a perceived solution, their noisy minuscule sensors and lousy Electronic Viewfinders pose all sorts of problems where digital photography is concerned ! Although the new Fuji Finepix S100fs may potentially address some of the previous disadvantages of such 'bridge cameras', the fact remains that you can't attach a Sigma 10-20mm rectilinear wide-zoom to an S100fs body and that immediately disqualifies this camera from my 'short-list' !!

Best regards
Richard

04-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rmpjr7 Quote
Hi all!

Thanks to everyone.

Bob
Here is what will be most likely an off the wall option

sell / trade the K100 for a K10, and buy an *istD.

the logic you might ask?

the *istD has TTL flash capability and therefore, if you want to use any legacy glass, you can do flash photography with it.

Contol wise, it is like the K10D so the two cameras will feel similar.

If you want a second body similar to the K100, and are happy with 6mp then get the DS (it also has TTL flash for legacy lenses)
04-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good points about the legacy lenses and TTL flash. I'm tempted to grab an *istD as a 2nd body myself.

At some point, I also plan to swap out my K100D for a K10D (as soon as the K10D owners start upgrading to the K20D).
04-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Peter hit the pluses for each very well (sorta summarizes my dilemma!).

Lowell's idea is intriguing also! Seems like K100D's are selling for $400-425 on Ebay and I would only have to contribute $100-150 for a K10D.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Bob

04-28-2008, 07:34 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ended up buying a *1st D body thru Ebay. Thanks for the advice.

Bob