Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I just spent two weeks on the east coast for business (and it's nice to be home). I have the OEM battery and 5 Wasabi, bought in two batches a couple of years apart. I think I recharged all the Wasabi's before leaving. I do know that I took 2000+ shots over the 12 days away (90% in the very late afternoon/early evening - night), and changed batteries when they went to 0.

The OEM lasts the longest. The Wasabis did pretty good. I do know that one lasted for about 60 shots (I may have not have recharged it recently). That said, I went through another one for at least 500 shots (might have been one of the newer ones). A couple went a few hundred shots. Now, I was using liveview pretty much exclusively, which is pretty draining in itself.

I do wish that Pentax would have a cordless charger like the Wasabi unit.

06-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My thread, new brand. So far, so good though I haven't used mine much as yet...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/296565-new-batteries.html
06-29-2015, 08:17 AM   #48
Site Supporter

I have not done any comparative tests but I do know how my Wasabi batteries have performed...

I shoot Real Estate, at least 300 shutter actuation's per day, and about 10 minutes of video with a K-50 now, was using a K-30.
I have been using a set of Wasabi batteries for about two years now. They last several days before a charge is needed and battery life has not degraded over time.
I don't run them until the camera shuts down or anything, I just charge them when they appear low. I figure they are so cheap why worry with proper conditioning, etc.

Interesting note: I thought my batteries were degrading but found out when I bought a new camera that my older K-30 with 60,000 actuations was the culprit. It works perfectly but now requires more power to run it....
06-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #49
Veteran Member

I bought two wasabis-- I do a lot of backpacking and shooting in cold conditions, so good to have a few backups. I'm about to take my K-3 on its first trips that's longer than a long weekend (was using a K-m, which takes AAs prior to that), but in the time that i've had them, I really don't notice a difference between the original and after-market batteries.

06-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
I shoot Real Estate, at least 300 shutter actuation's per day, and about 10 minutes of video with a K-50 now, was using a K-30.
I have been using a set of Wasabi batteries for about two years now. They last several days before a charge is needed and battery life has not degraded over time.
I usually use 4 AAs (Eneloops) in the battery pack insert for my K-50.
They supposedly have more stamina than the Li-Ion D-LI109.
06-29-2015, 03:34 PM   #51
Pentaxian

I have 4 Pentax branded batteries and two Wasabis, and use them interchangeably without noticing any significant difference. I, however, do not often shoot anywhere near 1K shots in a day, and always change out batteries as soon as I notice a drop in the battery indicator. I also always start the day with a fully charged battery, and have never really counted shots per battery, so I may not be the best judge. I've always believed that slow charging is better, so have always used the OEM charger with all of my batteries -- I have enough batteries that I haven't really needed emergency charging though I do keep the Wasabi charger in the car, just in case . . .

Scott