Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
a battery is a battery (in most respects).

05-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #17
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
So, it wouldn't be false to say that AA's are a safer form of power?

But..

Then absolutely logical question appears - why all DSLR's are constructed to use Lithium batteries instead of AA's?
Yes, AA are a safer form of power; however, lithium last longer.
05-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Yes, AA are a safer form of power; however, lithium last longer.
Thanks!

How about general stability?
05-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Advantages:
1. Li-Ion don't self-discharge that much over time, good for things like cameras.
2. They have a long peak of voltage so they will provide enough power fr a long time.
3. They have great power per weight ratio.
4. They don't suffer from memory issues, you don't have to cycle them completely.
5. They are good in low temperatures.
6. It's an evolving technology, lots of room for investment.
7. When properly used and manufactured they don't overheat as easily.
8. More environmentally friendly than most other batteries.
9. Can be cycled many times before used up.
+ more

Disadvantages:
1. Relatively expensive to manufacture.
2. When shorted they can release extreme amounts of energy potentially leading to damage and injuries.
3. Needs tight quality controlling.
4. Limited shelf life at room temperature.
5. Large transports have to be treated as explosives.
+ more

As you can see most advantages fits many consumer products.

05-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member

My pentax oem battery gets at least 200 shots more than my wasabis. Wasabis seems the same for a while then goes from 3 bars to nothing. If it has less than 3 bars, its close to kaput. I love the charger though and its pretty well built for a generic. Keh has used oem batterys for usd 19 might be a good option

---------- Post added 05-03-14 at 07:05 PM ----------

Also the pentax handle the cold a lot better than the wasabis
05-03-2014, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Then absolutely logical question appears - why all DSLR's are constructed to use Lithium batteries instead of AA's?
My K-50 is constructed to use Lithium batteries as well as AA's.
Just one of its many advantages.
05-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I hated using AA with my ist-DL...the juice on them was never enough with alkalines. You would have to use cr5s lithiums (not the same as lithium-ions) but Im not paying 8 bucks a pack for disposable batteries. The ist-dl had a funky issue though with the power regulator and wouldn't take most rechargable or even most alkilines (never used eneloops though)

05-04-2014, 01:14 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Advantages:
1. Li-Ion don't self-discharge that much over time, good for things like cameras.
2. They have a long peak of voltage so they will provide enough power fr a long time.
3. They have great power per weight ratio.
4. They don't suffer from memory issues, you don't have to cycle them completely.
5. They are good in low temperatures.
6. It's an evolving technology, lots of room for investment.
7. When properly used and manufactured they don't overheat as easily.
8. More environmentally friendly than most other batteries.
9. Can be cycled many times before used up.
+ more

Disadvantages:
1. Relatively expensive to manufacture.
2. When shorted they can release extreme amounts of energy potentially leading to damage and injuries.
3. Needs tight quality controlling.
4. Limited shelf life at room temperature.
5. Large transports have to be treated as explosives.
+ more

As you can see most advantages fits many consumer products.
Some advantages belong to AA's too:

1. Eneloops hold the charge exceptionally well too.
4. Memory issues with the AA are a thing of the past.
9. Eneloops can live for up to 1.5k charges.

Unique advantages:

1. Safer.
2. Cheaper.
3. Can be bought at pretty much any shop in the world.
4. A larger variety to choose from, there is 2000/2500/... etc mAh types of AA's.
05-04-2014, 01:24 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I always have an AA holder/Eneloops with me. In a pinch, a trip to a convenience store or petrol station gets me through the day's activities.
05-04-2014, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some advantages belong to AA's too:

1. Eneloops hold the charge exceptionally well too.
4. Memory issues with the AA are a thing of the past.
9. Eneloops can live for up to 1.5k charges.

Unique advantages:

1. Safer.
2. Cheaper.
3. Can be bought at pretty much any shop in the world.
4. A larger variety to choose from, there is 2000/2500/... etc mAh types of AA's.
Yeah, I just stated the pros and cons of li-ion as a tech, not comparing them to eneloops.

But if you want some comparison in the points you brought up:
1. Li-Ion still hold charge better. Though for most uses the differances are negligable.
4. For Li-Ion there's always that advantage, for AA's it depends on the type used.
9. Eneloop cells don't die as sudden as Li-Ion and will therefore have a longer usage period.

1. They are safer in use and when transported but pose a bigger environmental and health risk when manufactured and disposed.
2. Cheaper per capacity yes.
3. Not at all as common here in Sweden.
4. The Li-Ion cells are also available in different forms. But as they ara supercharged at 3.7V they aren't available in standard sizes, simply for safety.

The main advantage for Li-Ions compared to Eneloops for most most consumer electronics is that the pack more power per weight and have a longer voltage peak before they drop when discharged. This helps making things more stable even though you can compensate a lot when designing the electronics. The higher voltage they provide per weight leads to a higher effectivity in the circuit board while keeping weight down.
06-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #26

Big Mike's

Some third-party batteries that I ordered (sold by Big Mike's Electronics, fulfilled by Amazon, $19.99 for 2) just arrived. They were listed as 2100 mAh, but the units I received are 2900 mAh. That's 50% more than the OEMs!. I will use them exclusively for the next month and let you all know how they work out.
06-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by danielwsc Quote
Some third-party batteries that I ordered (sold by Big Mike's Electronics, fulfilled by Amazon, $19.99 for 2) just arrived. They were listed as 2100 mAh, but the units I received are 2900 mAh. That's 50% more than the OEMs!. I will use them exclusively for the next month and let you all know how they work out.
Many third-party batteries are mis-labeled, so the 2100 figure is probably more accurate. But be sure to let us know how the batteries work out, as there are definitely some good third-party ones out there.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Regarding the Wasabi / DSTE generic charger, I would tend to avoid putting the OEM battery in there. Batteries and chargers are engineered to work together at a particular charge rate. The lower (slower) OEM rate will likely not only achieve a slightly higher full charge, but will allow for longer service life. The reason slow charge yields a fuller charge is that the heated chemistry increases internal resistance and the cell cannot take as much charge when hot.

Typically, I even prefer to charge the generics in the OEM charger simply because I usually have the time, and plenty of spares (OEM, Watson, two DSTE generics). From my experience, I would rate the Watson (same as Pearstone) as 85% of OEM and likely to nearly match service life, generics at about 60% and probably 40% of OEM service life. As a general rule over the years, I have found that the more outrageous the generic battery capacity claimed, the poorer the performance and service life.
06-29-2014, 04:52 PM   #29
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by danielwsc Quote
The person in the thread I referred to earlier that tests batteries as a living cast doubt on these batteries being able to have such high milliamps.

"Olympus rates their BLS-5 at 1150mAh, minimum 1080. I measured mine on a professional battery analyzer at 1050, which is "good enough." The Wasabi was rated at 1700mAh, and came in around 780mAh. New Wasabis are now claiming an impossible 2000mAh - yeah, right. The two Chinese cheapies came in around 750mAh, which is why I say CHINESE CELLS. Even assuming I got a bad Wasabi battery, there is no cell in existence manufactured anywhere that size which is capable of 1700mAh, let alone 2000.

Understanding and testing batteries is part of my job."

source: Re: Kodak battery eBay jokes: Kodak Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
06-29-2014, 06:06 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
"Olympus rates their BLS-5 at 1150mAh, minimum 1080. I measured mine on a professional battery analyzer at 1050, which is "good enough." The Wasabi was rated at 1700mAh, and came in around 780mAh. New Wasabis are now claiming an impossible 2000mAh - yeah, right. The two Chinese cheapies came in around 750mAh, which is why I say CHINESE CELLS. Even assuming I got a bad Wasabi battery, there is no cell in existence manufactured anywhere that size which is capable of 1700mAh, let alone 2000.
this pretty much goes with what I see on my wasabis, they get 75 percent of the shots but are 1/3 as cheap, like most things you get what you pay for. I got one pentax one and 2 spare wasabis. I did get a weird flickering on my back camera screen, I wonder if that was an overcharged with the quick battery charger. The thing is that almost all li-ion batteries are chinese manufacturer now. Hell nikon been making em in china since at least the d40 era...