Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ahhhh, I see - thanks for putting me right

04-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #17

Canon EOS (do not remember the model of the 35mm film body) used to have focus-bracketing.

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by jonby Quote
And yet to my knowledge this has never been done on those systems.
04-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
Canon EOS (do not remember the model of the 35mm film body) used to have focus-bracketing.
Thanks for highlighting this - this confirms that it is technically possible then, at least with that system. Would be interesting to know how well it worked. I'll look into it.

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
I intend to experiment with focus stacking and I suspect it will be tedious at best to manually dial in precise increments from front to back. I don't know how precise those increments even need to be so it will be a learning experience for me. A simple focus bracketing function implemented in the camera body would take a lot of the tedium out of the process.
Yes I have done some manual focus stacking myself and it can be fairly-to-very tedious, depending on how many shots you need to take (which you won't know without experimenting). It's a lot easier with an old manual lens with a decent focus throw and smooth action, but difficult to impossible with a lot of AF lenses, which is one reason why this feature is needed. Automated focus stacking would certainly be a useful function, though actually my main desire is for a system which allows me to guarantee getting optimum focus in a given situation. Two different uses, similar methods.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
one of the most interesting things out there is magic lantern, a 3rd party adding all sorts of interesting functionality to Canon cameras... including focus stacking
I wasn't aware that Magic Lantern did focus stacking. More weight to the argument that there's no technical reason not to implement this. If you can do focus stacking, you can do focus bracketing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I've been wondering why camera manufacturers didn't have more functionality inside bodies for years now, and all I can think of is that it's some sort of in-body processing power/memory limitation, possibly a hangover from the old days.
It's hard to believe that it's anything to do with lack of processing power or memory, when some cameras can process six 36MP raw images per second. Practikant believes that has been done before - around 20 years ago by the sounds of it. I'm convinced that the reason this facility isn't part of the feature set is down to something other than technical limitations. In the case of focus bracketing, my guess is that they simply don't like to admit that their AF systems aren't accurate all the time.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The idea that the body knows exactly how the lens is doing its work is one of the most common misunderstandings of users on this site who are seeking to tweak their AF systems.
I don't think this precludes the implementation of a focus bracketing system. As I said before, if it's possible to tell the AF system to focus slightly forward or backwards of the position that the camera believes is in focus (as with fine AF adjustment), then it's possible to automate taking two or more shots with the focus shifted a certain amount forwards and a certain amount backwards. Determining what this amount should be is perhaps where the difficulty lies, but even if this were set manually that would be something.
04-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
then it's possible to automate taking two or more shots with the focus shifted a certain amount forwards and a certain amount backwards. Determining what this amount should be is perhaps where the difficulty lies, but even if this were set manually that would be something.
Yes, the devil is in the details and in this case the details are pretty significant. A "tick" of the AF system (manual focus too, for that matter) can be pretty course at distance or with high magnification. How much depends highly on lens.

Steve

04-10-2015, 12:33 PM   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Turns out that Magic lantern actually does something like you describe Lowell - "rack focus".
QuoteQuote:
Step-by-step:

1. Pick the end point of rack focus by focusing on it (manually or with AF).

2. Configure focus parameters (step size and delay). Different lenses may require different parameters.

3. Open the Focus menu, go to Focus End Point and press Set to zero it out.

4. Pick the start point by focusing on it with the LEFT/RIGHT buttons while the Focus menu is active. Make sure the number from Focus End Point is changing as you focus. Fine-tune the position with scrollwheel.

5. Go to Rack Focus and press SET or PLAY to start rack focus.

6. To return to the starting point, run rack focus again.
04-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes I have done some manual focus stacking myself and it can be fairly-to-very tedious, depending on how many shots you need to take (which you won't know without experimenting). It's a lot easier with an old manual lens with a decent focus throw and smooth action, but difficult to impossible with a lot of AF lenses, which is one reason why this feature is needed. Automated focus stacking would certainly be a useful function, though actually my main desire is for a system which allows me to guarantee getting optimum focus in a given situation. Two different uses, similar methods.

Yeah, I understand, but the first step to stacking is to obtain the bracketed images, whether it's for HDR, DOF, or just to improve the chances of hitting the target exposure or focus. The difference is entirely in how the images are handled in Post Processing; up to that point it's all the same. We take exposure bracketing for granted but automated focus bracketing is virtually non-existent.
03-05-2016, 10:58 AM - 2 Likes   #22

but wouldn't micro-adjustment work?

You are correct. The idea that the body knows exactly how the lens is doing its work is one of the most common misunderstandings of users on this site who are seeking to tweak their AF systems.

Steve
while it might not be like commanding a stepper motor... " focus, shoot, back up 30 impulses, shoot, go forward 60 impulses, shoot, ..." why wouldn't using the micro adjustment bias feature be feasible: "focus, shoot, adjust micro focus bias + 2 steps, re-focus, shoot, adjust micro focus bias -4 steps, shoot, ..." This may not be great for handheld

The focus adjustment bias feature is built into the camera already... let's take more advantage of it

AND while you are at it here is what I want from the firmware in the micro-focus adjustment/calibration menu: <Sample Focus>
here is how it would work:
I get the camera set up on a tripod and pointed it at calibration target, ...
I go into the Micro Focus calibration menu and then select sample focus then hit the shutter button
1 Camera sets Focus adjustment to +10
2 Camera moves Lens to infinite focus
3 Camera focuses on target
4 Camera puts up the mirror for two seconds and takes exposure
5 Camera moves Lens to close focus
6 Camera focuses on target
7 Camera puts up the mirror for two seconds and takes exposure
8 Camera decrements focus adjustment 1
9 camera repeats steps 2 through 8 until focus adjustment is -10
The result is 42 exposures
It may take 2 minutes or so to run through the protocol

I'm assuming you could also make the camera write something into the EXIF Data to let you know what the settings were

Take set of 42 exposures back to your computer... you find the best one... and that is the adjustment to you should use.

If the software was really fancy it would make sure the aperture was wide open or Close before being allowed to execute. It might also demand low ISO, high state of charge on the battery, centre focus point, high shutter speed, turn off shake reduction etc.
03-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidDwight Quote
The focus adjustment bias feature is built into the camera already... let's take more advantage of it
Agreed. That's a very handy capability that could do lots more. Focus bracketing for macro (shoot 5 AF bracketed shots), AF adjust automation as per your example, or help automate AF adjust in some other way (eg Nikon D5/D500 style “Auto AF Fine Tune” using LiveView + AF adjust) etc.

03-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidDwight Quote
The AF fine adjust does not work that way, but if it did what you describe might work.

Steve
03-05-2016, 09:35 PM   #25

The AF fine adjust does not work that way, but if it did what you describe might work.

Steve
how does the bias work? If a lens was good at '0' wouldn't setting the AF fine adjust to -10, -5, 0, +5, and +10 give you a "bracketed" set of 5 focal planes?
03-07-2016, 05:39 AM   #26
Site Supporter

The Olympus OM-D has a focus bracketing mode. I don't know the details of how it works but it is built in to the latest firmware.
03-07-2016, 06:01 AM   #27
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
The Olympus OM-D has a focus bracketing mode. I don't know the details of how it works but it is built in to the latest firmware.
yes, it's supposed to be pretty good. Magic Lantern (os Canon firmware) also has focus stepping as one of the functions.