Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New to DSLR is SR needed?

I'm thinking of getting a K100D or K110D and on a pretty tight budget and can do quite better on a K110D for the money. Would I regret not getting the SR?

04-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what the delta is in price between the two, but the SR can improve you chances of getting a good shot at a lower shutter speed. Some say SR is worth about two stops -- figure out what two stops is worth in $$ terms and you've got your answer.
04-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by albacore Quote
I'm thinking of getting a K100D or K110D and on a pretty tight budget and can do quite better on a K110D for the money. Would I regret not getting the SR?
WOuld you like to be able to shoot a scene at ISO400 instead of ISO1600? Thats 2 stops.
04-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Shake Reduction is definitely a boon to have and well worth the small price difference.

Once, I took handheld shots during the evening by a rocky seashore that some friends of mine using Nikons with no VR lenses on simply couldn't' shoot because they had to shoot with a tripod and at a distance away. SR is so useful I can't tell you how many times I had to shoot at very low shutter speeds and got acceptably sharp images. It makes a BIG difference.

04-26-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you're talking used there's a reason you can do quite a bit better on the K110......the guy who had it before probably also regretted not having the SR.

The SR is worth at least two stops, and at times three or maybe even four. It's enough of a difference that Pentax didn't even sell the K110D here in Japan at all, knowing that consumers wouldn't put up with the absence of such a great feature for a relatively small savings in price.

Here is an entirely unscientific comparison with my K100D. Both photos are handheld, using a 135mm prime lens and a shutter speed of 1/6th second:

Ignoring actual shutter speeds and just doing simple doublings:

1/6 (actual shutter speed)
1/12
1/25
1/50
1/100
1/135
1/200

That's an advantage of over four stops. True, you may not always get those kinds of results, but you can pretty much take two stops for granted with SR.
04-26-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi albacore

Re your query:

QuoteQuote:
Would I regret not getting the SR?
Ask yourself this simple question. Does the prospect of browsing through copious selections of slightly blurred photographs
(whilst silently cursing under your breath) appeal to you or would you alternatively prefer to receive admiring comments about your consistently pin-sharp images when marginal lighting conditions prevail ? I reckon anyone who has used the Shake Reduction feature on their camera for any length of time would never wish to return to using a DSLR without this vital enhancement.
PERIOD !!! Forget the minimal short-term cost savings of a non SR camera, this decision really is a no-brainer you'll live to regret....No SR, no way, Josť !!!

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 04-30-2008 at 08:21 AM.
04-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes you would.
04-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll chime in with all the rest. Yes SR is well worth it for all the reasons stated.

BUT if being able to afford a camera that has no SR vs not being able to buy a camera at all, then get the K110D. We've been shooting with film and the first couple of versions of DSLR's without SR for 100 years. You can still take great pictures without it. I have a *istD, K110D and a K10D. Yes SR is an advantage but don't let that stop you from buying a camera and doing some shooting.

Btw there is a better system than SR. A tripod. If that's in your plans someday, it's still the best way to get clean, sharp shots.

04-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by albacore Quote
It depends on your shooting style. If you shoot long lens without a tripod SR would be useful. If you shoot with studio flashes you would not need SR. If you shoot in low light situations without flash SR would be necessary. It's a nice addition but it is not a necessity.

VR
Darryl
04-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
Damn Brit

Absolutely it's worth it. Think about what the guys with the other cameras have to pay for image stabilised lenses.
04-26-2008, 06:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't know how much the different in price is (but I think it's not much). You may consider it is too expensive or so cheap to have stablization for all of your lenses.
Get it if you can then you will be happy with it.
04-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I'll second it -- SR is great.

However, like others have said, it depends on your typical shooting conditions. Mostly studio stuff or bright conditions, no SR would be fine. Anything else, SR = good.

Also, if you don't have a quality tripod, buying one to make up for the lack of SR may just negate any savings you'd have by going with a cheaper body in the first place. Food for thought!
04-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #13

Original Poster
Well that pretty much answers my question then. Thanks for the help, I think it saved me from being disappointed with my first DSLR.
04-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Albacore,

SR is great. I've got in on my new-to-me K10D. Half of the reason I upgraded to the K10D was for SR (the other half was for the second knob so I could use TAv and control aperture and shutter speeds without finger gymnastics).

However, I've got a photo album full of awesome photos taken on my K110D that take me back to days I'll never forget. And when I look through my photos I get happy nostalgia and I don't daydream that the photos could have been a little better with SR.

And when I bought my camera, $100 was a big price difference. I was new to photography and I had a hard time spending $400, and I wouldn't even think about $500, not when I could get a good point and shoot for far less. If I hadn't bought the K110D, I never would have discovered the 50mm F1.4, or the 10-17mm fisheye, and my photos would have been as plain as they ever were.

-shameless plug-

If you are seriously considering the K110D, I've got one for sale in Portland. You can come by and try things out, I'll let you test SR on my K10D, try similar photos with the K110D, and see firsthand what to expect. You can look through my library of photos and see what the K110D is capable of even in my unexperienced hands. And I'll cut you a deal if you buy and we don't have to ship.
04-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #15

Original Poster
Aegon,

Funny that you replied because yours was the one I was thinking of looking at after seeing your ad on Craigslist and here. From your post it sounds like you were in a similar situation when buying your first camera, and even though it's a great deal I don't want to be disappointed and regret my purchase and I have a feeling not having SR would be a big let down for me and turn me off from taking pictures.

I just bought a Canon A720IS and I'm really not even sure I should be buying a new camera because I have very little knowledge in photography but the difference between DSLR and most point and shoot cameras is so impressive. I'm going to Hawaii the end of May and I'd like to get something pretty soon so I have some clue at what I'm doing, and I have a lot to learn.