Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax k3 vs. k5 iis

I was a former canon shooter and I had to sell all my gear last summer after a move for a new job. I decided to get back into photography and went with the sony a7. I enjoy the camera for the deliberate type of shooting I usually do, but I miss my 7d for wildlife (I used to use the 100-400l). I was never completely satisfied with the iq of the 7d, so I have been looking at pentax to use for some wildlife shooting.

I thought that a k3 with the da 300 would be a nice, light weight weather sealed combo I can use on my kayak for wildlife. I recently started exploring the idea when I noticed the cheap prices for the k5 bodies. I thought I would come to the community for your thoughts on rather or not the k3 would be worth the extra cost or not for my intended uses. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

05-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The greater advantage for the K-3 is the higher Megapixel count that allows for more cropping.

If you add the new HD 1.4x Teleconverter to the K-5IIs and DA*300 I think results would be similar.

The K-3's other differences may not be that important for wildlife shooting that I can think of, unless you need the better continuous AF for bird in flight shots.
05-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I agree with the mentioned K-3 advantages, cropping and continuous auto-focus. I have also noticed better AF accuracy due to the smaller focus points.
05-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the insight. I would probably get the tc at some point. One good thing about living in SW Florida is that wildlife are very exposed to people and let me get in close. This makes cropping less of an issue than where I used to live where 400mm was often too short.

05-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If using in a kayak, I would stick to cheap / second hand and a cheap WR lens. I've used my K-7 while paddling in a very stable canoe and it was still constantly soaked, either worn around my neck or dropped in the bottom of the boat. I think that your luck will eventually run out if you use a dslr in a kayak all the time. I don't think they are designed to survive a capsize or sinking to the bottom of a river.

I would also think about a zoom, just because it's hard to position yourself in the right spot for the photo when paddling.
05-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
If using in a kayak, I would stick to cheap / second hand and a cheap WR lens. I've used my K-7 while paddling in a very stable canoe and it was still constantly soaked, either worn around my neck or dropped in the bottom of the boat. I think that your luck will eventually run out if you use a dslr in a kayak all the time. I don't think they are designed to survive a capsize or sinking to the bottom of a river.

I would also think about a zoom, just because it's hard to position yourself in the right spot for the photo when paddling.
These are good points. I am very picky about the conditions that I shoot in and I stick to calm bay areas in general and I usually will put the camera in the bag and enjoy a nice paddle if I'm in rough conditions.
05-07-2014, 01:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
These are good points. I am very picky about the conditions that I shoot in and I stick to calm bay areas in general and I usually will put the camera in the bag and enjoy a nice paddle if I'm in rough conditions.
Maybe have a look at the 60-250.... great IQ at 250 and a bit more flexabilty?.... similar price.
05-07-2014, 04:44 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Maybe have a look at the 60-250.... great IQ at 250 and a bit more flexabilty?.... similar price.
Yeah, that looks like a great lens as well.

05-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The AF module alone is the reason you should purchase a K3. The smaller AF points,torquey AF motor, excellent AF tracking and generally much faster processor inside were much bigger selling points.

---------- Post added 05-08-14 at 07:57 PM ----------

The K3 even focuses in pitch black time and again. Megapixel count, AA simulator, Headphone jack , H264 video etc all are just good to have. What pre-K3 bodies lacked was the fantastic AF performance. Now when saying 'fantastic' I mean compared to pre-k3 PENTAX bodies, not canon/nikon I've heard 7D and the fabled L glass USM lenses make an awesome combination. I am just warning you that you may be disappointed with K3 performance compared with other camera systems.
05-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
The AF module alone is the reason you should purchase a K3. The smaller AF points,torquey AF motor, excellent AF tracking and generally much faster processor inside were much bigger selling points.

---------- Post added 05-08-14 at 07:57 PM ----------

The K3 even focuses in pitch black time and again. Megapixel count, AA simulator, Headphone jack , H264 video etc all are just good to have. What pre-K3 bodies lacked was the fantastic AF performance. Now when saying 'fantastic' I mean compared to pre-k3 PENTAX bodies, not canon/nikon I've heard 7D and the fabled L glass USM lenses make an awesome combination. I am just warning you that you may be disappointed with K3 performance compared with other camera systems.
Thanks for the honest feedback. I think my main issue with the 7d was that the noise performance could be really poor in out of focus areas, even at low iso's. This is especially true in the blue channel. I also noticed the dynamic range limitations now that I have been shooting with the a7. The 7d is very capable in the AF department and has nice ergonomics.
05-11-2014, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I own a K3 and K5 II and like them both. The big things the K3 improves on are frame rate, a little extra resolution, improved tracking, and smaller auto focus points. It loses a little in dynamic range. It still would beat the 7D , it just isn't quite as good at very low iso as the K5/II.

(K3 with DA 15 limited shot).

05-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I own a K3 and K5 II and like them both. The big things the K3 improves on are frame rate, a little extra resolution, improved tracking, and smaller auto focus points. It loses a little in dynamic range. It still would beat the 7D , it just isn't quite as good at very low iso as the K5/II.

(K3 with DA 15 limited shot).

Great shot! The da 15 looks like a nice lens. Thanks for the info on the cameras.