Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Senior Member
str8talk83's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Photos: Albums
Posts: 198
Pentax k3 vs. k5 iis

I was a former canon shooter and I had to sell all my gear last summer after a move for a new job. I decided to get back into photography and went with the sony a7. I enjoy the camera for the deliberate type of shooting I usually do, but I miss my 7d for wildlife (I used to use the 100-400l). I was never completely satisfied with the iq of the 7d, so I have been looking at pentax to use for some wildlife shooting.

I thought that a k3 with the da 300 would be a nice, light weight weather sealed combo I can use on my kayak for wildlife. I recently started exploring the idea when I noticed the cheap prices for the k5 bodies. I thought I would come to the community for your thoughts on rather or not the k3 would be worth the extra cost or not for my intended uses. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

05-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
The greater advantage for the K-3 is the higher Megapixel count that allows for more cropping.

If you add the new HD 1.4x Teleconverter to the K-5IIs and DA*300 I think results would be similar.

The K-3's other differences may not be that important for wildlife shooting that I can think of, unless you need the better continuous AF for bird in flight shots.
05-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,686
I agree with the mentioned K-3 advantages, cropping and continuous auto-focus. I have also noticed better AF accuracy due to the smaller focus points.
05-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
Senior Member
str8talk83's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Photos: Albums
Posts: 198
Original Poster
Thanks for the insight. I would probably get the tc at some point. One good thing about living in SW Florida is that wildlife are very exposed to people and let me get in close. This makes cropping less of an issue than where I used to live where 400mm was often too short.

05-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian
calsan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,387
If using in a kayak, I would stick to cheap / second hand and a cheap WR lens. I've used my K-7 while paddling in a very stable canoe and it was still constantly soaked, either worn around my neck or dropped in the bottom of the boat. I think that your luck will eventually run out if you use a dslr in a kayak all the time. I don't think they are designed to survive a capsize or sinking to the bottom of a river.

I would also think about a zoom, just because it's hard to position yourself in the right spot for the photo when paddling.
05-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
str8talk83's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Photos: Albums
Posts: 198
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
If using in a kayak, I would stick to cheap / second hand and a cheap WR lens. I've used my K-7 while paddling in a very stable canoe and it was still constantly soaked, either worn around my neck or dropped in the bottom of the boat. I think that your luck will eventually run out if you use a dslr in a kayak all the time. I don't think they are designed to survive a capsize or sinking to the bottom of a river.

I would also think about a zoom, just because it's hard to position yourself in the right spot for the photo when paddling.
These are good points. I am very picky about the conditions that I shoot in and I stick to calm bay areas in general and I usually will put the camera in the bag and enjoy a nice paddle if I'm in rough conditions.
05-07-2014, 01:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian
noelpolar's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Goolwa, SA
Posts: 3,073
QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
These are good points. I am very picky about the conditions that I shoot in and I stick to calm bay areas in general and I usually will put the camera in the bag and enjoy a nice paddle if I'm in rough conditions.
Maybe have a look at the 60-250.... great IQ at 250 and a bit more flexabilty?.... similar price.
05-07-2014, 04:44 AM   #8
Senior Member
str8talk83's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Photos: Albums
Posts: 198
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Maybe have a look at the 60-250.... great IQ at 250 and a bit more flexabilty?.... similar price.
Yeah, that looks like a great lens as well.

05-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 417
The AF module alone is the reason you should purchase a K3. The smaller AF points,torquey AF motor, excellent AF tracking and generally much faster processor inside were much bigger selling points.

---------- Post added 05-08-14 at 07:57 PM ----------

The K3 even focuses in pitch black time and again. Megapixel count, AA simulator, Headphone jack , H264 video etc all are just good to have. What pre-K3 bodies lacked was the fantastic AF performance. Now when saying 'fantastic' I mean compared to pre-k3 PENTAX bodies, not canon/nikon I've heard 7D and the fabled L glass USM lenses make an awesome combination. I am just warning you that you may be disappointed with K3 performance compared with other camera systems.
05-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
Senior Member
str8talk83's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Photos: Albums
Posts: 198
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
The AF module alone is the reason you should purchase a K3. The smaller AF points,torquey AF motor, excellent AF tracking and generally much faster processor inside were much bigger selling points.

---------- Post added 05-08-14 at 07:57 PM ----------

The K3 even focuses in pitch black time and again. Megapixel count, AA simulator, Headphone jack , H264 video etc all are just good to have. What pre-K3 bodies lacked was the fantastic AF performance. Now when saying 'fantastic' I mean compared to pre-k3 PENTAX bodies, not canon/nikon I've heard 7D and the fabled L glass USM lenses make an awesome combination. I am just warning you that you may be disappointed with K3 performance compared with other camera systems.
Thanks for the honest feedback. I think my main issue with the 7d was that the noise performance could be really poor in out of focus areas, even at low iso's. This is especially true in the blue channel. I also noticed the dynamic range limitations now that I have been shooting with the a7. The 7d is very capable in the AF department and has nice ergonomics.
05-11-2014, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,247
I own a K3 and K5 II and like them both. The big things the K3 improves on are frame rate, a little extra resolution, improved tracking, and smaller auto focus points. It loses a little in dynamic range. It still would beat the 7D , it just isn't quite as good at very low iso as the K5/II.

(K3 with DA 15 limited shot).

05-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #12
Senior Member
str8talk83's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Photos: Albums
Posts: 198
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I own a K3 and K5 II and like them both. The big things the K3 improves on are frame rate, a little extra resolution, improved tracking, and smaller auto focus points. It loses a little in dynamic range. It still would beat the 7D , it just isn't quite as good at very low iso as the K5/II.

(K3 with DA 15 limited shot).

Great shot! The da 15 looks like a nice lens. Thanks for the info on the cameras.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
7d, af, af module, bodies, camera, dslr, k3, k5, pentax, pentax k3, performance, photography, wildlife
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K5 IIs or K3 applejax Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 06-06-2014 07:04 PM
Autofocus accuracy - K3 vs K5II vs K5 ? vrphoto Pentax K-3 57 03-19-2014 08:23 AM
K5 IIs or K3? The Kellyboy Pentax K-5 10 11-22-2013 11:25 PM
K3 auto WB on the K5 IIs... Santoku Pentax K-5 3 11-13-2013 07:05 AM
K5 vs. K5 II and IIs JBWPhoto Pentax K-5 15 12-31-2012 11:14 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:59 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top