Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2008, 04:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20 Dust Removal

Yesterday, I noticed a 'blob' on some pix that I determined to be sensor dust. I went thru the
'Alert' routine and confirmed it, but I was unable to dislodge it manually, so I did the 'Shake' trick and that did it. I am left with 2 Qs for you experts out there:

A. The 'Shake' is quite audible and easily felt consisting of what seems to be of 3-4 impacts. Is this the 'way it works'?

B. Do users generally leave their K20s in the 'Removal' mode, or use it only when necessary?

I never had this problem with my K100D.......Thanks for any advice.

JK

04-27-2008, 05:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote
Yesterday, I noticed a 'blob' on some pix that I determined to be sensor dust. I went thru the
'Alert' routine and confirmed it, but I was unable to dislodge it manually, so I did the 'Shake' trick and that did it. I am left with 2 Qs for you experts out there:

A. The 'Shake' is quite audible and easily felt consisting of what seems to be of 3-4 impacts. Is this the 'way it works'?

B. Do users generally leave their K20s in the 'Removal' mode, or use it only when necessary?

I never had this problem with my K100D.......Thanks for any advice.

JK
Stil have the K10D, no K20D, yet.

I use a blower on my sensor once a week, but have used the shaker a few times. It does make a bit of noise when in use.
Only when necessary.
Dust is going to happen in Dslr's. Get into a daily or weekly prevention mode, and you'll be fine.

Dave

BTW foir whats its worth, i found my istD very dusty, but my K10D alot cleaner.

I use my Nikon gear in dusty horse ring venues, and rarely need to clean for dust.

Dave
04-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I leave dust removal "on" at start up. I don't believe in blowing dust off once a week. If there is no dust on the sensor, I don't see why I would do it. If ther is stubborn dust stuck to the sensor, then I will use a blower to get rid of it.
04-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #4

I've had the K10D for sixteen months and have yet to do anything more than the blower. I don't use the dust removal feature until I see a dust spot. It rarely removes it but the blower does. On my IstD, I was doing a wet clean every two or three months. I would assume the K20D would be at least as good as the K10D at not letting dust stick to the sensor.

04-28-2008, 05:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments; at this point I'm inclined to turn of the removal-on-turn-on feature.
I try to be very careful changing lenses. Guess I'll get one of those blowers from B&H that are so well regarded.............
04-28-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote
Thanks for the comments; at this point I'm inclined to turn of the removal-on-turn-on feature.
I try to be very careful changing lenses. Guess I'll get one of those blowers from B&H that are so well regarded.............
I have a K10D since august 2007.
We have taken it around the world in very dusty environments, changed lenses many times.
My dust removal is default on at startup.
It takes no more than 1 second.

The result is that I've NEVER had to use any dust problems at all.
I've seen the effects dust can have on my friends D200, I'm a believer, it stays on!

- Bert
04-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #7
Forum Member

Options

The general opinion seems to be that keeping the camera switched off when changing lenses helps minimise the attraction of dust to the sensor, but inevitably it gets some eventually.
I have dust removal set as a start-up action on both my K10 and K20. When this fails the K20 and K200 offer a more aggressive manual burst of sensor shake (via menu option) than the more gentle knocking of the start-up action. If this fails, a rocket blower always works for me.

04-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #8

Yeah I had heaps of dust on my K10D sensor (mainly from ignorance when I first got it I did'nt think about dust) I tried the 'inbuilt shake thing' heaps of times but it didn't get rid of any of the dust. Until a friend of mine used a puffer on it and it got rid of nearly all of it. how effective really is the inbuilt dust removal?? (in the K10D) :confused: is it less effective when the dust has been there for a long time?