Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2008, 05:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Digital Camera Magazine K20D review

In issue 72 (May 2008) of Digital Camera Magazine, Rod Lawton found the K20D "Flawed but with sparks of sheer brilliance." His biggest gripe? The Function controller, which he just doesn't like.

And he doesn't even bother mentioning the weather and dust sealed body, which certainly should have upped their build quality rating to five stars. At that point it would be competing with their evaluation of the Canon EOS-1D.

04-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #2

I thought the review was a waste of my time reading it.

On the other hand it is good to see Pentax really advertising this new camera well.
04-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

What is "the function controller" and how is it flawed? Is that the function button, which sets WB, shutter control, ISO, and flash?
04-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gostwick Quote
I thought the review was a waste of my time reading it.
I wouldn't argue with that. Against my usual practice I got a subscription to this magazine, since it was basically paid for by the sensor cleaning device that came as a bonus. One of the things I like about the magazine is that they are not fixated on page after page of equipment reviews. And the second thing is that it is very reader-focused. On the other hand there is little about in-camera photography and a lot about software post-processing... too much for my liking.

Still, lots of great photos to look at each month and helpful reminders in some of the tips. I do like how the subscription copies have a clean front cover.

But I won't be reading it for the reviews!

04-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
What is "the function controller" and how is it flawed? Is that the function button, which sets WB, shutter control, ISO, and flash?
IIRC the reviewer did not like the feel of the four-way controller and wanted the functions at hand on extra buttons. I can agree with this in so far as ISO control should be close to hand. But short of a dedicated rotary dial I don't know how that can be accommodated. It's even worse on my K100D that does not have the ISO-centric shooting modes.

Personally I prefer cleaner bodies with fewer controls. A couple of soft buttons (user-defined) would be better than dedicated buttons for RAW, drive, etc. But some things are not so easily handled by buttons alone.
04-28-2008, 01:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
In issue 72 (May 2008) of Digital Camera Magazine, Rod Lawton found the K20D "Flawed but with sparks of sheer brilliance." His biggest gripe? The Function controller, which he just doesn't like.
The one thing that I hate about camera reviewers is that sometimes their own subjective feelings come into play and thus you can't get a true evaluation of the camera. It may be the reviewer has gotten used to another camera (perhaps his own personal camera), and then he has to review another camera's features and functions. How does the reviewer separate his own likes and dislikes based upon his own personal feelings? If he personally doesn't like it, his resulting review goes out to thousands of readers and could affect those readers' buying choices... and I won't even go into whether the reviewer has major camera sponsors to please...

Sorry if I'm ranting...

Alex
04-28-2008, 02:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
IIRC the reviewer did not like the feel of the four-way controller and wanted the functions at hand on extra buttons. I can agree with this in so far as ISO control should be close to hand. But short of a dedicated rotary dial I don't know how that can be accommodated. It's even worse on my K100D that does not have the ISO-centric shooting modes.
Those reviewers better read manuals... Pressing OK button displays ISO and if you want to change it, you just turn front dial. alternatively you can assign ISO control to any of e-dials in Av, Tv modes. In fact I never go into Fn menu when I want to change ISO.

Not sure if OK button handles ISO on K100D. Try it
04-28-2008, 02:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Not sure if OK button handles ISO on K100D. Try it
OK button displays ISO (which IMO should be displayed at all times anyway). But on this camera there is no way to change it quickly with the dials. You are right however that the reviewer should have determined it works for his model.

04-28-2008, 05:14 AM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haven't read that one. In may should be comming out issue of Photography Monthly with K20D review. Let's see what it'll be like...
Generaly though I'm really please that Pentax is finaly pushing their products throug magazines, which serves them well in advertising - unless the reviewer is not biased...