Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SR with camerapointing up/down

will Shake reduction still work when I'm pointing at the sky (planes) or the ground (flowers/bugs) ?

04-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Yes, I guess.
I see no reason why it shouldn't.
04-27-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well the axis is different I don't know what the sensor inside can measure in the way of angles I was just wondering as I have many rubish plane shots but i think perhaps it was because I was shaking alot pointing at the sky
04-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never heard anything about SR not working when pointed up or down but remember SR corrects for shake and not for shutter speeds that are too slow to freeze the action. What shutter speed were you shooting at? What lens?

SR will have some issues if you are panning a moving target. It will attempt to make corrections that will actually induce blur. So if you were shooting an airshow with a 300mm lens and the day is sunny, you should be able to get shutter speeds of more than 1/500th in most cases. If you get more than that, then stop the lens down to increase the DOF. Turn the SR off. At 300mm, 1/500th the speed is high enough to freeze the shot.

04-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well these are distant planes in the sky I'm not panning and shotting at 180-500 i think perhaps its just me being shaky the flower shot is perfect I suppose I just have to learn how to handle the camera in that position
04-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This is a good question!

I can imagine quite some methods of SR which only would work in "horizontal mode".

The Pentax SR uses gyro sensors which are coriolis-force based, i.e., they measure angular velocities (their first time-derivatives being the shake). I.e., no gravity detection involved.

Therefore, they must function the same irrespective of point they are pointed at.

The sensor may have slightly more friction if camera isn't horizontal but I don't think it makes any difference as it is pretty light-weight.
04-27-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
Damn Brit

If you are taking photos skywards is it not possible to lay down? This would make you much steadier. Probably easier on your neck as well.