Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Your keyboard is made of "alloy mag"? there are even guns made of "plastic POS"...
Actually, having used a mechanical keyboard with a steel plate, I really like the feeling of the solid steel plate when I'm typing. In addition, I'd love to convert mine to an aluminum frame instead of the current plastic frame.

I've also held a few handguns made of both metal and polycarbonate, and while the polycarb guns weren't bad in feeling, they had a different aesthetic to the metal guns.

05-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Actually, having used a mechanical keyboard with a steel plate, I really like the feeling of the solid steel plate when I'm typing. In addition, I'd love to convert mine to an aluminum frame instead of the current plastic frame.

I've also held a few handguns made of both metal and polycarbonate, and while the polycarb guns weren't bad in feeling, they had a different aesthetic to the metal guns.
that´s great. Those are things you value because you like them. But did you type any faster? Was your aim better with the metal gun? did the plastic versions broke before the metal ones?
05-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Typed faster because of the mechanical switches. The steel backplate gave less flex when I would press down on keys of opposite ends (ctrl or shift and keys on the other side) - which was good. The additional weight also helped to stabilize the keyboard when typing quickly. Also, the keyboard can definitely take a lot more impact compared to standard plastic dome switch types. That being said, keyboards aren't typically designed for that sort of thing, so I wouldn't expect the plastic in keyboards to survive what my Filco can. Plus, an anodized aluminum frame would definitely be more scratch resistant than my current plastic frame.

As far as the metal guns go, it's an aesthetic thing. But aesthetics is kinda important to me. I wouldn't be able to say if the polycarb guns were worse, as I am not an active gun enthusiast - but there's certainly discussions between polycarb vs metal in the gun community.
05-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #49
Pentaxian

No way should Pentax go on a diet. They should be the proverbial 800 pound gorilla amongst the competition.

05-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #50
Emperor and Senpai

If you want super light and portable with loss of some functionality that the rest of us want get a NEX.
05-10-2014, 12:27 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
If you want super light and portable with loss of some functionality that the rest of us want get a NEX.
Some of us already have. It used to be if you wanted a tilting lcd screen, you had to buy a Canon or Sony slt/Nex. Now you can also buy a Pentax 645Z

I found it liberating to buy a different brand than Pentax. now i have both - and never again will i hesitate to buy the best tool for the job.
05-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #52
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
It's not a zero-sum game - Pentax won't stop producing full-on APS-C DSLRs any time soon. So you won't actually lose anything if/when Pentax produces a body that allows me to remain a Pentaxian once my K-01s become obsolete or just break down. Ricoh is a huge company, and the R&D on producing a mirrorless K-mount camera is already done, so producing a follow-up shouldn't cost a whole lot. Whether they want to, given how the K-01 was received by the reviewers, is perhaps not obvious. But the K-01 did eventually find a following. I don't see what is the point of advising people to leave Pentax rather than wish for Pentax to produce cameras that might continue to keep existing customers happy. I love my K-01s - fantastic image quality, IBIS, very good battery life, reasonably compact, incredible lens backward compatibility, good menu system and reasonable ergonomics (for my hands). I've also found here a (mostly) friendly community, and I have invested in a small but to me nice collection of lenses. I was attracted to Pentax by the K-01 and my experience has been good, so I would like to remain "in the fold", so to speak. I'm simply voicing my wish - along the same lines as the OP - for a more compact, lighter K-mount option.
05-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #53
Emperor and Senpai

The thing is the NEX is maybe half the size of the K-01. I have a K-01, and they aren't exactly a small camera. The NEX is loads smaller, so that;s why I was saying if you need a super small and light one that badly then why not go for it.

05-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #54
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Ricoh is a huge company, and the R&D on producing a mirrorless K-mount camera is already done, so producing a follow-up shouldn't cost a whole lot. Whether they want to, given how the K-01 was received by the reviewers, is perhaps not obvious.
Pentax may well be production-limited, i.e. in order to allocate a production run to a MILC in the existing facilities they would need to displace some other product during that time. In order to produce a PC, EVF, small, light DSLR they might need to not produce something else. It might just be that, in order to step out a bit, Pentax will need to construct a new production facility and train a new batch of assemblers.

Ricoh might look like a massive company with huge resources but for the last three years they've been on a reduction program, cutting excess inefficient capacity from companies acquired in the 2000's. At the same time they have been totally consumed for two years getting a massive, lower-cost, more efficent production facility in China built and running. While it seems to be working out well for them Ricoh itself lacked production cost-effective capacity for certain segments of the office machine/printer/copier market.

It might well be that Ricoh will shortly have the time, resources, production engineers and corporate energy available to allocate something to Pentax. Then again, maybe not.

We just cannot know.