Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Dont forget that current pentax DSLRs also have probably the *most* powerful/torquey in-body Auto Focusing motor of any digital camera on the market. Most like Canon/Nikon have abandoned in-body focusing, Nikon since D40 and Canon..well forever?. (And still managed to make their cameras fat-ass ugly!)

---------- Post added 05-08-14 at 07:19 PM ----------

It is actually a tribute to Penax engineers as to how they managed to make K3 so light and absolutely gorgeous to hold in your hand

05-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Thanks for all the responses. It seems that most people are happy with larger bodies. My point was not really criticism of the existing Pentax bodies, rather regret that they no longer produce a really small one.

The idea that Pentax's smaller lenses compensate for the larger bodies is kind of similar to what I am trying to say. You can get a 90g DA40, which is uniquely small in the DSLR field, but then the smallest body you can pair it with is the 650g K-50/K-500 and you lose most of the weight saving.

A body I really love is the MZ-3, (just like the MX-5 mentioned above) that has all the mechanics and optics required for a Pentax DSLR with space for film and two batteries. Given the miniaturusation of electronics in cameras like the Panasonic GM-1, I'm sure they could fit everything necessary into a body of that size. Perhaps they would need to make it a little thicker behind the mount. When I mount my DA lenses on the MZ-3, it feels just about perfect.
I think the solution would be for Pentax to make their entry level dslr really small kind of like Canon does. The only problem there is it would cost more to produce than the K-500 and K-50 sharing the same body and innards.
05-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I'm obviously not in the majority in this crowd, but I wouldn't want a camera much heavier than the K-01, and (aside from the designer label) that model seems like it was an experiment by Pentax to see how small/light they could make a K-mount body. I read about the K-3 and I get pretty excited, then I go to hold one and it just feels too massive. Unless Pentax replaces the K-01, I will have a conundrum on my hands once it's time to replace my K-01 bodies. I've been a very happy Pentaxian so far, so I'd love to see a retro-styled K-01 successor...
05-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Well, I'm obviously not in the majority in this crowd, but I wouldn't want a camera much heavier than the K-01, and (aside from the designer label) that model seems like it was an experiment by Pentax to see how small/light they could make a K-mount body. I read about the K-3 and I get pretty excited, then I go to hold one and it just feels too massive. Unless Pentax replaces the K-01, I will have a conundrum on my hands once it's time to replace my K-01 bodies. I've been a very happy Pentaxian so far, so I'd love to see a retro-styled K-01 successor...

All three of Pentax's current dslr offerings are more capable than the K-01 and only one of them is a lot heavier.

05-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #35
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Few would dispute that Pentax has a fantastic range of compact DSLR lenses. The zooms are optimised for APS-C format and there is also the DA limited range. Even the old full frame lenses are relatively small. But at the moment they do not make a small DSLR to fully take advantage of this. The smallest and lightest DSLR they make is the K-50/K-500 at 650g. I just did some comparisons.

Current competitors
D5300 460g (-190g)
Canon SL1 407g (-243g)
Sony A58 573g (-77g)
All competitors make a lighter model

Previous Pentax models
Pentax ist DL 470g (-180g)
Pentax K-x 580g (-70g)
Pentax K-01 560g (-90g)
They're getting steadily bigger and heavier

DSLR-like mirrorless models
Panasonic G6 390g (-260g)
Fuji XT-1 440g (-210g)
Olympus OM-D EM-5 400g (-250g)
These cameras are approaching DSLR size and weight

Does anyone else think that Pentax is missing something here? They already have the line-up of compact lenses, so they've done the hard part. They just need to make a K-mount body (DSLR or mirrorless) under 500g, and they could really get close to mirrorless systems in terms of size. A camera I really liked was the Olympus E-420 (445g). That kind of body with Pentax Limiteds would be lovely.

Not bothered by weight of k5ii at all. Do not want a plastic POS.

As others said supports screw drive, WR, mag alloy body.
05-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
All three of Pentax's current dslr offerings are more capable than the K-01 and only one of them is a lot heavier.
I disagree. The K-30 was available when I bought my (first) K-01, and I picked the K-01. The K-30 aka K-50 is basically a K-01 plus mirrorbox and viewfinder. What it has that the K-01 doesn't is WR, PDAF and viewfinder. Oh, and better burst rate. None of these are especially important to me, and together they make for a much bulkier and slightly heavier camera. Now, a K-60 with the same body, but 20mp, some of the K-3's AF improvements and an articulated rear LCD might be interesting, but I'd also be tempted by the mirrorless competition. Not that the grass seems much greener there - it's simply a different set of tradeoffs - so it would not be a slam dunk either way...
05-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for all the responses. It seems that most people are happy with larger bodies. My point was not really criticism of the existing Pentax bodies, rather regret that they no longer produce a really small one.
Well, there's the Q.

A lot of people seem to have fun with it, but you might find that as you chop weight from a camera you're also losing capability.

05-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Waratah Quote
Your keyboard is made of "alloy mag"? there are even guns made of "plastic POS"...
05-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Waratah Quote

The main back panel of the K-5IIs is plastic.

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I disagree. The K-30 was available when I bought my (first) K-01, and I picked the K-01. The K-30 aka K-50 is basically a K-01 plus mirrorbox and viewfinder. What it has that the K-01 doesn't is WR, PDAF and viewfinder. Oh, and better burst rate. None of these are especially important to me, and together they make for a much bulkier and slightly heavier camera.

K-50 has WR, viewfinder, PDAF, 2 dials, higher ISO all for about 4 grams more than the K-01. Those things may not be important to you but that doesn't mean that it is not a more capable camera than the K-01.
I'd love a K-02 but a K mount mirrorless is very unlikely considering the criticisms, performance, price, and subsequent firesale of the K-01.
05-08-2014, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #40
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm in a similar situation to Doundounba. I have a K-01 and have bought a set of small lenses to go with it. It's a very neat and compact kit. I wonder whether there will be a suitable body to replace it.

The advantage of the K-01 is not weight. It's still a bit heavy for my liking. The advantage is that it is more compact. It doesn't really sink in until you try to pack a K-01 into a small bag. It makes a big difference. Also, assuming you want to use live view, it has the advantage of a much bigger battery than the K-50. That's part of the reason for the weight, along with the better construction.

Last edited by JPT; 05-09-2014 at 01:54 AM.
05-09-2014, 12:17 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Jeah, when Pentax had the smalles DSLR, compactness was the bomb. Of course now that it's in the past it's highly overrated.

First I read this thread this morning: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/259952-camera-storage-car.html And now I stumble upon this one. They are clearly related. The thread contains some people figuring out a way how to safely leave their camera in their cars, because they don't want to lug them around all the time. They're contemplating the heat, cold, risk of theft, etc just to be able to be freed from the burden. I've never had such a problem since I got a NEX5n. The body, and a smaller lens fit easily in my jacket. And an extra lens in the other pocket. Or in my wife's purse, if it's a bigger one. We don't even notice it's there. Same goes for my Sony A7. It's so easy to take along, I never miss any photo oppertunities anymore because I left my big fat DSLR at home. I love my Pentax DSLRs, but I only take it along when I actually know behorehand that there's going to be a photo oppertunity.

Wheight may nog matter so much, but size clearly does matter.

Last edited by Clavius; 05-09-2014 at 02:40 AM.
05-09-2014, 02:58 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know what the answer is. As long as you have weather sealing, 100 percent penta prism, nicer electronics (better screen, faster operation), and SR in camera, weight will be more than some of the other cameras from the past. There are several ways to cut down on size -- go mirrorless, go with a penta mirror, or leave off some of the sealing and make the body less robust. The kx was a very nice camera back in the day, but I wonder how many folks would prefer it to a K50, even understanding the decreased size compared to what is gained in speed of operation, sealing and nicer viewfinder. Not arguing against making cameras smaller, just saying there is a balance that needs to be struck.

I am glad that the flagship cameras weigh more and have a grip as an option. Shooting with even moderately large lenses like the 50-135 or 16-50 f2.8 is more comfortable over a day's time with a body with some weight/heft to it, than with a smaller body.
05-09-2014, 06:47 AM   #43
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster

- Sensor, SR and screen would add 5mm to the body thickness (I measured the MZ-3 and the K-01 and thats the difference).
- The MZ-3 has a FF pentaprism and AF motor and weighs only 410g without batteries according to the camera database. I realise modern electronics and an adequate battery will add to that considerably.
- Actually, it feels fairly dense and weighty because it is small. Tougher modern plastic would make it a sturdy little camera.
- All the lenses shown are easy to handle on the MZ-3 body. To me they feel better than my K20D, but of course the opposite is true of longer, more front-heavy lenses, which feel better on the K20D.
- I'd want it to have twin dials and green button as a control system. I'm not into retro dials and they wouldn't work with lenses with no aperture ring anyway.
05-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last summer I purchased a Rebel 5Ti for my daughter in law. She had been sending some amazing photographs of our grandchildren that she was taking with her phone and tablet! She has a real talent for capturing the critical moment. So I talked to my son before they came up and asked if they wanted a better camera. He responded that they did but didn't have the money at the moment. So I told him to tell his wife that the morning after they arrive I am going to take her out on a date.

Went to the local camera store and had her handle various DSLR's. The didn't carry Pentax so they were out of the equation. She actually didn't like the Canon SL1. She thought it too small. She liked the Rebel 5Ti because the rear display can is covered when folded in. She also like the way it fit her hands. So I got her the camera and an 18 to 135mm lens for her to start. She was bouncing off the walls she was so happy.

I think that the Pentax cameras are robust little critters. I know they aren't the lightest, but they are as light as they can be and still do all that they do. Since I tend to hang heavy glass on my cameras I prefer that they have some heft to them.
05-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know what the answer is. As long as you have weather sealing, 100 percent penta prism, nicer electronics (better screen, faster operation), and SR in camera, weight will be . . . . . .

I am glad that the flagship cameras weigh more and have a grip as an option. Shooting with even moderately large lenses like the 50-135 or 16-50 f2.8 is more comfortable over a day's time with a body with some weight/heft to it, than with a smaller body.
I think the answer is to uinderstand that a Pentax camera is not, can not be, and will not be for everyone. Pentax won't even make enough models that everyone can pick one that will suit their needs and wishes. They aren't large enough to do that.

Pentax makes what it knows how to make and sells what it can sell to those people who want to buy whatr it makes. They quite intentionally leave large parts of the market to other makers because they just cannot compete there.

If we want a K-mount, an AF system backward compatible with all our AF lenses, IBIS for all our MF lenses, an optical viewfinder and that special, robust Pentax feel - we have to accept a somewhat heavier camera body.

If we want a lighter camera body we have to decide which Pentax features to let go of - and accept the complaints of the people who wanted those features.

For me, a K3 is as close to perfect as I can get if it isn't a K10/K20.