Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I refuse to use batteries that you have to throw away after they discharge, there is enough damaging crap going into the landfills, I'm not going to contribute more. It would not bother me at all if those types of batteries were outlawed, to force people to use earth friendlier rechargeable batteries.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now !!

04-29-2008, 12:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Many thanks from Emma and myself for all the helpful input on this everyone. I had told Emma how helpful everyone was on this forum, but she was still amazed at the number of helpful responses. Thanks for the point about not worrying about the eneloops being 2000mAH Aegon. I had wondered about that as the Uniross rechargables we had in the camera were 2500mAH. I have found a source of eneloops in England so we'll order some. Thanks again.

Paul
04-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

You won't be disappointed Paul, that's for sure !!
04-30-2008, 05:56 AM   #19
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
... I have found a source of eneloops in England so we'll order some. Thanks again.

Paul
Can you let me know where did you find the source? PLEASE

05-01-2008, 12:26 PM   #20
Forum Member

I used kodak when I had my k100 super, they worked great! I use them now with my bounce flash. The batteries they give you aren't meant to work very long, there just meant to test your equipment.
10-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Momtographer. Peter, I got the eneloops from Battery Force. The direct link is:

Sanyo Eneloop AA NiMH 2000mAh Pack of 4 at Battery Force

Sorry I am late; only just came back to this post today.

Paul

Last edited by channeler; 10-02-2008 at 01:00 AM.
10-01-2008, 03:21 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Gone a different route.

For K100D series users faced with battery problems, ther is another possiblity. See my report here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/37963-report-k1...tery-life.html

Dan.

10-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #23

I'm going to echo everyone's suggestions. Get Eneloops. I've been using them exclusively since with my K100D and I regularly get 450-550 shots per set.
10-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I was also suffering with different batteries and have spent already a lot on batteries.

Now I have 2 sets of eneloops and as everyone said they're great. So far I haven't been able to have my camera shut down because of batteries.

I also received a La Crosse 700 battery charger and have on order on of these (click me). It's a grip for the k100d with a 2200 mah lithium rechargeable battery. I'll use the eneloops for the chargers.
10-01-2008, 04:35 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll second (or third or whatever)

the RCRV3's

I bought two pair when I ordered my K100D, I so rarely have to recharge them, that I couldnt tell you how many shots I get.

I dont have the attention span over the several months that it takes me to deplete these things. I bought the backup set because every other digital camera I had owned was constantly running out of juice at the wrong time.

-k
10-25-2009, 12:33 AM   #26

Nevertheless, eneloops or not. If a camera is suitable for AA type batteries, normal alkaline batteries they should work too. And that the problem of the K100DS they don't. That means not like they have too work. And not all brands.

Suppose I have a device in which I can only use batteries of a certain brand or type. That's ridiculios

It could be possible the camera has to be "trained" in using those batteries.

Up til now nobody was able to explain to me why the K100DS is no good working with *normal* alkaline batteries like is written in the manual

Strange thing is that I'll do get the better results with rather cheap batteries from unknown brand, like my Magic Power 2500mAh's. isn't that magic?
I also have some Vapex recharabels like mentioned in the thread. But up til now I haven't used them.They are still packed and in a drawer. I have notice that GP's work bad.

I am again gonna test some alkaline batteries from Samsung the Pleomax.
10-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by demoleman Quote
Nevertheless, eneloops or not. If a camera is suitable for AA type batteries, normal alkaline batteries they should work too.
If the camera is designed to work with them, sure. Pentax DSLR's were not. They draw too much energy - it takes a lot of power to drive a focus motor, the mirror flip mechanism, and the SR system. That's why the upper-level cameras can't run on 4 AA's at all - they draw even more power. Luckily, there *are* AA's that can provide the necessary power.
10-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If the camera is designed to work with them, sure. Pentax DSLR's were not. They draw too much energy - it takes a lot of power to drive a focus motor, the mirror flip mechanism, and the SR system. That's why the upper-level cameras can't run on 4 AA's at all - they draw even more power. Luckily, there *are* AA's that can provide the necessary power.
Well. It isn't? In the manual they do write about them. I can't remember I ever read "Your camera is NOT design for the use of alkaline batteries. Don't use them. Only recharcabels" The opposite is true. They recommend them! They even supply you with one set of four in the box!

And I read in many review "I shot about 400-500 photo's on one set of alkaline batteries" Well I don't.How do you explain that fact

However, Found another part about them, those alkaline.

Which conditions?

But as I wrote before. The camera also have a problem with NiHM which is generally known. Yeah sure, Eneloops work great and also Varta's "read2use" too.I have them both. But I have lots which I can't use and I can in other camera's. I haven't got a device here on which I can only use selected brands/types batteries!

And lets face it.The K100DS isn't the only camera with the problem. The whole range of the K1xx has the same problem.It is basically the same with the battery gauge!
And I am not the only one who's complainimg. It is all over the Internet.

Last edited by demoleman; 10-25-2009 at 10:35 AM.
10-25-2009, 10:52 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Actually if you look at pages 25 and 26 of the K100D/K100DS manual on Pentax's support site it says

"Alkaline batteries are easily obtainable when your usual batteries run out BUT may not support all the camera functions under certain conditions. We do not recommend their use except in emergencies and checking the cameras functionality"

If you got that many shots on alkaline consider yourself lucky. As far as the battery meter goes. It is a function of how batteries discharge not the camera. Modern batteries hold a higher voltage level until the end of charge then the voltage level drops drastically. Unfortunatly there is no way to gage this action. There just isn't any way for the camera to know when the voltage is going to drop below the critical level and it seems that the critical level for Pentax DSLR's is higher than other devices using AA batteries.

I did a lot of reading before I bought my K200D. I bought 4 sets of Eneloops which have served me well. I keep a set in the camera, a set in the BG-3, a set in my AF200S, and one spare set. This works well for me and I never have battery issues.
10-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #30

My understanding is that Sony labeled batteries are the same as the Sanyos. I have both, and they work equally well. Definitely stick with the newer pre-charged batteries made in Japan, as Sony is also marketing a cheaper line of rechargables made in China.
Edit: Just noticed last night that the Sony pre-charged AAs are also being made in China. Some packs are still listed as made in Japan, but it looks like they're switching over to the Chinese factory.

Last edited by bobore; 10-31-2009 at 01:08 PM.