Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K10d focus hunting.

G'day all,

I think I may have a problem...

My K10d will no longer focus. I've got the focus set to AFS, and focus mode to either centre or auto. When I half press the shutter release or the AF button, the camera focus will go out to infinity, then back to close and then stop.

This occurs with either the kit lens, or my new Sigma 17-70m lens. The camera will not AF under any lighting conditions.

I've cleaned the contacts and lens and body mating surfaces, now I've run out of ideas.

Any hints?

Dale

04-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Eeeek I'm answering my own post.

I fixed it:

The solution: I pulled the battery out and recharged it. Focus now works. The battery indicator was showing full when I had the problem, but it does that right up to the moment the battery goes flat.

I wonder if a flat battery was the issue, or that the removal of the battery resets the camera?

Cheers Dale
was is now
04-27-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dale Quote
Eeeek I'm answering my own post.

I fixed it:

The solution: I pulled the battery out and recharged it. Focus now works. The battery indicator was showing full when I had the problem, but it does that right up to the moment the battery goes flat.

I wonder if a flat battery was the issue, or that the removal of the battery resets the camera?

Cheers Dale
was is now
Its both.
A low battery usually leads to focus lock issues, even in good light. Sometimes it goes totally crazy.

Removing the battery helps reset some circuits that may have gone haywire...

It just one of the pitfalls of electronics...It can happen with other brands, too, not just a Pentax problem.
04-28-2008, 12:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers

Camera lasted about 20min working well after battery recharge. Just went outside to take a few shots of a passing rain squall and it is not focusing at all. I'll try the removal for a bit longer and see what happens.

Dale

04-28-2008, 06:40 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi Dale

Just out of interest, how many pints had you consumed before the auto-focussing started to become a problem ?....lol !!
Seriously though, re your comment:

QuoteQuote:
I've got the focus set to AFS, and focus mode to either centre or auto.
In my experience, I've found that when the K10D is switched to continuous AF mode, the internal workings of the camera go into a kind of indecisive 'hyper-active' dithering mode, in which the circuitry finds great difficulty choosing precisely what to lock onto, whilst never entirely succeeding ! After much experimentation however, I've settled on using centre focus mode in conjunction with Single Auto Focus on the K10D and that seems to lead to far less problems where auto-focusing anomalies are concerned.

Best regards
Richard
04-29-2008, 03:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Richard, that made my day!

I normally use either manual focus, or AFS centre. My only options now are manual, the camera will not focus at all in AFS centre, or any other combination of ASC or AFS centre or auto.

I'm heading off to the Elephant and Wheelbarrow in the vague hope they know what a pint is. Whenever I think of dealing with the Pentax distributor in Australia to get a repair, I turn to beer.