Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #1

indoor shooting help (advice)

My wife has asked me to take pictures at the local school library for an event she is running. I have never really shot indoors with a dslr and I am hoping that I could get some tips. Any advice will help. I plan on using my gx10 (k10) and the 43 ltd. I also have a dfa 100 that I might use but I think it will be to long. I have 2 flashes the metz 58 and the pentax 360 if needed.

I appreciate it.

04-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you've not done it before I would use raw, so you can adjust more later, esp. the wb.
04-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
You will probably get better lighting without the flash. If you don't want to shoot in RAW then try different White Balances. I normally get better results with Auto WB.

Don't be afraid to use a tripod so you can get maximum DOF. This will also allow you to use 100 ISO for less noise. If you can't use a tripod then use Auto ISO and deal with the noise in your editing software.

Have fun,
Rusty
04-28-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AWB seems to do a good job if you have fluorescent lighting, but leans to the yellow side if you have incandescent lighting. If you do have incandescent, switch to the light bulb white balance. Test it on your camera display and see how the pictures look. It'll save a lot of post processing later.

Alex

04-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #5

The worst thing is the mixed lighting that you can't control. I'm imagining a school library to have big windows letting in a lot of sunlight, and overhead flourescents filling in. Unless they're daylight-balanced flourescents (they're not), it'll be impossible to get perfect WB. Try auto and custom and see what gives you the best results.

On the other hand, the light may be really low. If you're only printing 4x6's, don't be afraid of ISO1600. The noise is barely noticable at that level. Open up your 43 Ltd and fire away.

If the light is so low that you have AF problems, try this. If you're shooting multiple shots at the same distance, hold down the AF button on the back. It will focus once and will hold that focal point as long as you hold the button.

Alternately, you could throw everything to auto and shoe the Metz. I would advise against direct flash, though. If you can get a Demb bouncer, they're fantastic. If not, foam works great too, it just looks a little jury-rigged.

Demb Flash Products - Flash Reflectors Diffusers and Brackets - Flip-it! - Flip-it! 400 - Demb Flash Diffusers - Demb Flash Bracket
ABetterBounceCard.com
04-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys. I am shooting raw. I will now bring my tripod. I will go a little early and try to get some test shots for wb etc.

I have some added pressure now. A friend of mine is going to be there with his canon gear. I am sure with my 43 I can get better shots
04-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BeerCan Quote
I have some added pressure now. A friend of mine is going to be there with his canon gear. I am sure with my 43 I can get better shots
uhh ohh...

Go kick some a$$ tiger!

he he he!

04-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by BeerCan Quote
Thanks for the advice guys. I am shooting raw. I will now bring my tripod. I will go a little early and try to get some test shots for wb etc.

I'm not an expert.

Try shooting in Av mode at the lowest f/stop, or one after it, ISO of at least 400, and fluorescent WB. Since you're shooting RAW you can just use AWB if you want. This is without a flash.