Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2008, 06:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
he was talking about the K1000 not the K10D.
Apparently he had a K1000 with nice focus screen and now he has a K10D and I told him he could easily get a new screen for the K10D.

Anyhow, coming back to the topic: dresden can you explain again what the issue was?

taking into account that the focus would be the "point" of HIGHEST CONTRAST between the "( + )" rather than where the red box popped up.

What ( + ) are you talking about?

BB

05-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
BBear,
I was trying to be graphical about it in order to simplify, but I guess it backfired.

What I meant by "( + )" was in reference to the focus screen on the K10D which kinda looks like this [ [ ( + ) ] ] .

So to reiterate, now when I focus I consider the ENTIRE AREA as subject to scrutiny by the camera, rather than just the red box. If there is a part within THAT area that has higher contrast, for example.. I know the camera may err in it's focus.

If you look at the example photos posted earlier, when the red box appeared, it was somewhat on the bar code of the rear most box. Intuitively this made sense to me after all , that's what I wanted in focus, right? What I didn't consider was that either the shadow and/or part of the front box also fell withing the center focus area "( + )". So what the camera was doing, naturally, was picking the front most subject within that particular area which means it selected the the edge of the front most box to focus on... and then signaled that it had chosen its focal plane with flashing the red dot, which though the view finder was dead on the bar code of the rear box ( so of course I thought i was focused on the rear box.. .I mean, it made sense at the time).

CROPS

Name:  IMGP2021.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  33.1 KB
<br>

View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP2021_b.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  48.9 KB
(placement of "( + )" was done in Photoshop , of course, and it's approximate.. but you can see what I mean.

In my attached example, the camera "BACKFOCUSED" though not really... I mean I can tell WHY it did it. The back lit wings of the gargoyle provided a higher area of contrast than the snout of the gargoyle. So even tho the "red dot" fell on the nose of the gargoyle the camera was looking for the highest contrast edge...thus it focused on the shoulder/wing area, which as you can see turned out to be dead on. In the other shot, for example, I moved closer and tilted so that the face of the gargoyle covered the whole "( + )" (I had to get the body in because I could get any closer with my lens) area and you can clearly see the camera focused ON THE FACE/BODY this time. It's kind of a bummer that the focus segment is so large, but at least it is consistent so it is easy to work with.