Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #1

K20D File Numbering BooBoo

It's been awhile since I've upgraded. I've only had it for a few hours, but so far it seems great.
However, the first thing I did was put an SD card in it that had pictures from a Canon on it and forgot to format it first. So it started numbering the files at 0739 instead of 0001. I would like to reset this to start at the beginning. I went to File Numbering and reset that, but it did not change the numbers. I guess that only resets the prefix to default. Before I start shooting pictures I want to keep, how can I reset the numbers back to 0001? I tried looking in the manual and searching here in the forums.
Appreciate the help...

04-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
Inactive Account

reset to new folder

on page 230 in the manual it mentions that you can reset the file numbering back to 0001 each time a new file folder is created, then the first image is reset to 0001. but it does this everytime a new folder is made, so if you have your folders set for date, then everyday the pictures will reset to 0001 but perhaps (only a theory), if you set this option to reset the numbers, then once it reset to 0001, switch it back again?

I would try putting a card in, reformatting the card, make a new folder or see if the fact that the card is empty it starts a new folder for todays date, set the option as described on page to 230 to "off" then see if the pics renumber, if they do then go back and turn this option back to "on" and then remove the folder and see if it does like it should and keeps ongoing with the numbering routine...
04-28-2008, 11:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
if you have your folders set for date, then everyday the pictures will reset to 0001 but perhaps
I had no idea that you could set the folders after date, but now that I do, I searched through the menus and set it on date! Just one of the details you miss even after having read the manual I guess.
04-30-2008, 04:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

i dont think that the camera will number the files according to what is on your SD card.

04-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
i dont think that the camera will number the files according to what is on your SD card.
It will, and that's what happened to the OP, and why he was asking for help...
04-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #6

Original Poster
As augustmoon suggested I formated the card and checked it in my computer. It showed only one folder named DCIM. I set the "memory" to 'off' and waited til today. Turned the camera on and took a shot. The filename for that shot was 100-0001. I then checked the "memory" option back to 'on' and took another shot. This one was named 100-0002. Perfect! Now we'll see what happens tomorrow.
BTW: An email from Pentax where I also posted my plight says there was NO-WAY I could reset the numbering back to 0001. Again, I wait with guarded anticipation.
Thank you for the help. I actually had tried that option, but did not wait for the next day to test it as it does not work immediately.
04-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
You may not think so, but it happened to me. As long as I can get the actual count from PHOTOme, it is not a problem.

04-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Inactive Account

One More Thing

Steve, one more thing I forgot to mention:

In the Record Menu, under the Memory submenu, make sure that File No. has a check next to it.

Brian
04-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
Steve, one more thing I forgot to mention:

In the Record Menu, under the Memory submenu, make sure that File No. has a check next to it.

Brian
Yes, thanks. That is what I was referring to when I said "memory option" in my post. Tomorrow will tell for sure I guess, but I can see no reason why it won't work at this point.

Thanks again, you've been extremely helpful.

--Steve
04-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actual shutter actuations count

QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
You may not think so, but it happened to me. As long as I can get the actual count from PHOTOme, it is not a problem.
I know you are only keeping a record of how many photographs you have actually taken - but you should be aware that your brand new body will have between 150 and 300 shutter actuations performed by Pentax at the factory as a quality test.

Mine had 242.

I suggest you open that first image in photoMe and note the EXIF record of shutter counts. Pentax probably meant you can never reset the ACTUAL shutter actuations to zero.

Also, PhotoMe says manual white balance frame and Digital Preview (if you use that) will count as a shutter actuation and raise the shutter count (hold your cursor over Shutter Count and read the embedded text pop-up).

I don't think you can change the camera body shutter count - only reset the file number counter.
04-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I know you are only keeping a record of how many photographs you have actually taken - but you should be aware that your brand new body will have between 150 and 300 shutter actuations performed by Pentax at the factory as a quality test.

Mine had 242.

I suggest you open that first image in photoMe and note the EXIF record of shutter counts. Pentax probably meant you can never reset the ACTUAL shutter actuations to zero.

Also, PhotoMe says manual white balance frame and Digital Preview (if you use that) will count as a shutter actuation and raise the shutter count (hold your cursor over Shutter Count and read the embedded text pop-up).

I don't think you can change the camera body shutter count - only reset the file number counter.
That's interesting stuff, but not was I was concerned with. I specifically said Filename so if they didn't understand the question -- I dunno Even then it's not really a BIG deal. I just wanted the filename-number to give me an idea how many pictures I've taken with this camera.
04-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Thanks guys, you've inspired me to do something tonight that I've been meaning to do for a long time.... Like Steve823, I've really wanted my K10D and K100D's image filenames to match my shutter count for a long time. My K100D worked that way for about 8000 images before I started mixing SD cards and got both of them mixed up.

That said, here's the process I followed to get my image filename numbers to tie back to my shutter counts on my two cameras:
I'm using windows, and PhotoME to do this, so your process may vary... In addition, I never use the USB cable to get my pics off my SDHC cards. I always use an external SDHC card reader to copy my images to a PC, though it should work the same.

1) Format memory card in camera.
2) Take a shot.
3) Remove the card from the camera and put it into an SDHC card reader and insert that into my PC.
4) Without taking the file off the camera's memory card, the Open the file in PhotoME and note the shutter count.
5) Rename the file so that the filename number matches the shutter count.
6) Put the card back in the camera and take another shot. * make sure you use the "Safely remove hardware" icon in windows to ensure that the changes have been written to the SD card before removing it from the PC.

Now, the camera's filename counter is set to the shutter count.

The tricky part from here is to make sure you format the card each time you put it back into the camera! And not to switch cards, or share cards between cameras without formatting when you put it into the camera!

-Chris

Last edited by hinckc; 04-30-2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: added a step, renumbered the rest
05-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote

thats really weird.

when i move a card from one camera to the other it creates a new folder so i'll have 100pentax and eos5d folders next to each other with their own numbering system according to how they are set up to number their files.

crazy
05-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect that changing the card from one brand of camera to another won't affect file numbering. A Pentax will ignore a directory called 100Canon, but not 100Pentax. When I bought my K20, I took the card out of my K10 and put it into my new K20. The K20 picked up the file numbering right where the K10 left off. My first file # from my K20 was something like 8476.
05-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #15

Photos: Gallery
UPDATE!

I followed my process and it worked perfectly on my K10D.

Last night, I tried to do the same on my K100D, and no go!

Anybody gotten their filename numbers to match back up to their shutter counts on a K100D?

-Chris