Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2008, 04:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. Looks like colors are the main thing that seperates the images. Just found out that the low sharpened jpegs are actually good if you are going to resize later as it will keep the detail and handle the noise better when you sharpen as the last post processing action . Yeah! Something good to know for jpeg users.

04-30-2008, 05:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote
Thanks for the replies. Looks like colors are the main thing that seperates the images. Just found out that the low sharpened jpegs are actually good if you are going to resize later as it will keep the detail and handle the noise better when you sharpen as the last post processing action . Yeah! Something good to know for jpeg users.
I think you missed the point of most of the posts. When shooting in raw there are no differences even in color. The differences you see are the result of processioning done in camera that produces the jpeg. These changes can be duplicated by you if you shoot in raw. The question I have for you is why are you shooting in jpeg when raw gives you so many advantages? I understand you hate post processing but to get the most out of your photos it is something that needs to be done.

Ken
04-30-2008, 08:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now that you mention it, I remember just opening up a raw file in silkypix and CS2 but couldn't do much with the interface and gave up. I have just used raw for some failed HDR attempts. I will have to lug myself to try to PP some raw files. Do I need ACR or some other program?
04-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote
Now that you mention it, I remember just opening up a raw file in silkypix and CS2 but couldn't do much with the interface and gave up. I have just used raw for some failed HDR attempts. I will have to lug myself to try to PP some raw files. Do I need ACR or some other program?
silkypix has (for quite some time now) a decent manual (installed w/ the software)... try to push yourself to read it.

04-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All Raw Images are Not Equal

Don't forget that lenses resolve colors very differently and a Pentax lens will produce different colors than a C or N lens even with all shot in RAW. There was a great macro lens comparison on the lens thread about a month ago with comparisons of--I think--Vivitar, Tamron and Voigtlander. One lens shot very cool tones almost blue color cast, one was very warm in tone and these differences were very noticeable and dramatic. Those lens variations showed up when shot through the same camera body, making the only difference the lens itself. RAW will not equalize the differences in lens color renditions no matter who made the camera. Of course in PP, the operator can choose to equalize color renditions of multiple lenses--like none of us has anything better to do than to try to make one lens appear to be another?

Just to make the discussion less clear, not all Pentax lenses produce the same color rendition either and I presume that to be the case for the C and N lens lineup as well.

So the question of preference or comparison between the brands is not unlike asking whether you like Monet better than Picasso. Preference is important but doesn't disqualify that which you don't choose as bad. You may prefer one style over another, you may prefer a color pallet, you may prefer anything you choose and it doesn't even have to be linked to a logical or rational train of thought.

I choose Pentax, but have yet to enter into fisticuffs with anybody who chose differently...
04-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Hi Ron

QuoteQuote:
I choose Pentax, but have yet to enter into fisticuffs with anybody who chose differently...
Care to step into the arena ? Now where did I put that darned pair of boxing-gloves....oh I remember, I loaned them to some bloke called Mohammed Ali ! I understand he's quite a prospect for the future. Now I'm really starting to give my age away.........

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 04-30-2008 at 11:13 AM.