Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2008, 01:58 AM   #1

AE-L and pano shots

I'm tying to learn to take several pics on my K10D to later combine them into a pano shot in PS CS3. One advice I consistently read is to of course have constant exposure. To do this I press the green button in hyper-M mode to set the exposure (correct exposure or not is irrelevant for now), and then use the AE-L function to lock the exposure. However after 5-6 shots, the AE-L (*) disappears, even when I set my metering time to 30s. What am I missing so I keep the AE-L for the duration of the shots, however many they are?

04-29-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zilla Quote
I'm tying to learn to take several pics on my K10D to later combine them into a pano shot in PS CS3. One advice I consistently read is to of course have constant exposure. To do this I press the green button in hyper-M mode to set the exposure (correct exposure or not is irrelevant for now), and then use the AE-L function to lock the exposure. However after 5-6 shots, the AE-L (*) disappears, even when I set my metering time to 30s. What am I missing so I keep the AE-L for the duration of the shots, however many they are?
IMHO you don't need to use AE-L at all. You just set exposure in M and take as many pictures as you want.

AE-L in M mode is used to lock exposure and when it's locked you can change aperture/shutter speed and camera will adjust another parameter to keep that exposure.
04-29-2008, 05:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My suggestion is to find the exposure you wish to use, either by experience, or one of the modes on the camera. Then dial in manual and set the camera to the same settings and shoot your shots. You may wish to get meter at multiple places along the panorama so see how things vary as you pan across the scene, and pick a setting that will get good values all the way.

Just my thoughts...

Scott
04-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
(snip)
AE-L in M mode is used to lock exposure and when it's locked you can change aperture/shutter speed and camera will adjust another parameter to keep that exposure.
But isn't this exactly what I "can" do to keep consistent exposure? IOW, the tool is there and I'm trying to use it. The question remains, why does it unlock at some point if I'm pressing the shutter within the set metering time of either 10s or 30s?

04-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sabarrett Quote
My suggestion is to find the exposure you wish to use, either by experience, or one of the modes on the camera. Then dial in manual and set the camera to the same settings and shoot your shots. You may wish to get meter at multiple places along the panorama so see how things vary as you pan across the scene, and pick a setting that will get good values all the way.

Just my thoughts...

Scott
Your suggestion is valid of course, but again, the AE-L tool is there so why not use it to do what you suggested?
04-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you're in M you don't need to do the AE-L but once before the first shot to set the exposure to what the camera wants to shoot. P mode is going to change from shot to shot based on how the camera thinks the scene is going to be best captured. AE-L only works for one shot to allow you recompose but keep the same exposure settings.

In M mode, just set your speed and aperture and shoot away.
04-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I have never used AE-L in shooting multiple shots. Not sure if it will hold the exposure between shots. What do your numbers indicate - aperture/Shutter/ISO?
04-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
If you're in M you don't need to do the AE-L but once before the first shot to set the exposure to what the camera wants to shoot. P mode is going to change from shot to shot based on how the camera thinks the scene is going to be best captured. AE-L only works for one shot to allow you recompose but keep the same exposure settings.

In M mode, just set your speed and aperture and shoot away.
Oh I see, regarding AE-L for one shot. I guess that feature is used when setting exposure different from the main subject, then focusing on the main subject to shoot. In this case, the AE-L will keep the orig. exposure. Make sense now.

04-30-2008, 08:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Glad I could help!