Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2014, 11:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unanswered question in k5 forum

I asked this in the k5 forum with no responce and I know my old k 10 had the same functions via the levers under the mode knob
But I never had it do what this one k 5 does.
I have two K5 bodies on one when the exposure bracketing is selected and i hold the exposure comp button and turn the rear dial the whole selection showing the number of exposures and stop spacing can be off set to the under or over exposure side, but on the other body the same action applies compensation as per the manual page 159 top of the page.

How do I turn the first described function on or off I have checked the menus page by page on both bodies and the all have the same settings it has to be me missing something simple but I just can't see it.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/262884-exposure-bracketing...#ixzz32QKcXTDf

05-22-2014, 12:12 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The culprit could be how the use of the e-dials are customized. Compare all customizable settings of the two bodies and let us know what you find.

He is a description from the manual of the dials can be customized in P mode:
Attached Images

05-22-2014, 05:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the suggestion Ole, but I don't think that is it I have just checked both bodies are the same and the functions described work no matter what exposure mode is selected except in M Mode where the differences occur

Duh I have just realised that it's me, the shift / offset function does not work in M mode on either body. and one body was in AV and one in M

but then how do you achieve that in manual? lets say i want 5 images 1 stop apart, the image is to be taken in a wood with strong full sun showing through the tree top canopy. so there are very very dense shadows and very very bright spots .

if i take exposure reading for the centre image out of 5 the two over exposed ones will be very over exposed so in p mode i would shift the selection to the under exposed side thus getting more dark images to capture the shadow tones and the high lights would be protected , i have done this in P mode many time and it works , but in M mode do I assume the section of 1 stop underexposed with shift all 5 images to be under exposed?

I can't test because it is once again a dull over cast day so very little contrast or dynamic range outside.
05-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In M mode, simply set the manual exposure to underexposed by the amount you want, then it will bracket over and under the exposureyou set. [+/-] does nothing in M.

05-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
true the trick is to use Tav which does allow the shift off to one side you just have to keep a eye on the iso selected
05-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
true the trick is to use Tav which does allow the shift off to one side you just have to keep a eye on the iso selected
When I'm playing with exposures like this I much prefer manual exposure. I don't want my camera running the ISO up and down at its whim.