Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Software under Wine in Linux

Does anyone use the windows software under wine in linux?
If it works at all how functional is it?

Thanks,

Daniel

04-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nope. I use digikam for previewing/sorting/throwing out "really crap" pictures, and ufraw for "light" postprocessing (white balance, exposure, noise reduction), and ufraw + gimp for "heavier" PP.

On rare occasions I use Photoshop CS2 for "really heavy" PP, which does run under Wine.

And yes, I shoot RAW.
04-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, thanks, i knew that route, just seems cumbersome
I use bibble, only downfall here is, K20D is new and was not in the last release, since they are heavily working on Bibble5, there is no knowing when the final Bibble 4 with support for the latest cams is going to be released, to make it worse, one reply from a dev suggested K20D is good to go, but they wait on another recently released cam, to push it out all at once, so
Not using Bibble for a while will be tough

Thanks for your reply,

Daniel
04-29-2008, 11:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I haven't tried running them under vanilla wine, but did load them up in my XP install inside VirtualBox and they ran like crapola - kept crashing/locking up. I'm using digiKam for downloading/organizing and LightZone for all my PP.

04-30-2008, 03:28 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I do not have Pentax, but Samsung GX-10, so just for comparison.
I tried the included Digimax RAW Converter under Wine on Ubuntu, and it seems to work fine. The GUI works normally, but the processing is quite slow. But I dislike the software, so I use Raw Therapee, which is available for Linux as freeware/donationware. It is excellent RAW processing tool, I encourage anyone to try it (not sure how it supports .pef, since Samsung has .dng only).
For viewing and cataloging I use digiKam.
I had small problem with .dng processing with all dcraw front-ends (UFRaw, digiKam): resulting images all have a messy few pixels strip on right side. Raw Therapee does not have this problem, as it uses dcraw only for initial decoding of the RAW, then uses its own processing algorithms including demosaicing.

Last edited by Tomas_IV; 04-30-2008 at 05:16 AM. Reason: typo
04-30-2008, 04:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tomas_IV Quote
I had small problem with .dng processing with all dcraw front-ends (UFRaw, digiKam): resulting images all have a messy few pixels strip on right side.
That is probably because the UFRaw version you were using was not very recent. This issue has been fixed in the last few releases.
04-30-2008, 05:13 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
That is probably because the UFRaw version you were using was not very recent. This issue has been fixed in the last few releases.
Thanks for the information, I will try newer release.

Last edited by Tomas_IV; 04-30-2008 at 05:13 AM. Reason: typo
04-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
...and LightZone for all my PP.
Well, you use LightZone until midnight tonight, when the beta expires and you wait who-knows-how-long for an official Linux version, then you pay $200 for it.

Adobe, please make Lightroom for Linux.