Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2008, 04:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

My DSLR Problems

I'm starting to get pissed.
I've got 2 K10D's and an ist*D

My ist*D started having some erratic firing of the shutter where it would just machine gun WAY faster than its FPS capabilities...all by itself. I sent it in, they didnt know what it was.....
I determined that it was due to low batteries. Not too bad, just annoying. Plus it took 8 weeks to get the camera back.

I sent my first K10D into the shop for something that was totally my fault and when it came back it was broken in a whole different way. When it came back, the SD card wouldnt seat in the slot...great. Back to the shop with upcoming weddings to shoot.

Again, I sent a K10D into the shop for something that was my fault. When it came back: again, it was broken in a new way. This time the pics I was getting were just black with the occasional red crap and sometimes a magenta frame. Awesome.....straight back to the shop with upcoming weddings to shoot.

On both of my K10D's I have had problems with the shake reduction functioning (yes it was turned on) and with the AF button responsiveness. DOES THIS STUFF JUST GET TO DECIDE WHEN TO WORK AND WHEN TO SCREW UP???!!

So last night I'm shooting for the Association of the United States Army. I'm rockin, getting my shots and whatnot. (of course I dont have a backup body because it is in the shop getting the black pic thing fixed)
So I am in the middle of photographing a ceremonious thing for missing sodiers. The room is silent for a moment. In that moment, my SDM function quits and my lens says WHHHIRRRRR!!!
Well great, thats the photographer....and the room is no longer silent and I'm embarrassed.
I dont have SDM anymore on this camera, my other body is in the shop. I have 13 weddings booked so far this year.

I'm ***king tired of Pentax. Get it right.

04-30-2008, 06:02 AM   #2
Banned

not to be rude, because Im sorry your having so much trouble but from the way I read it, the secondary problems would never have happened if you hadn't broken the camera to begin with. not that im defending any shoddy work that pentax may have done.
04-30-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have two systems, a Nikon one, and Pentax one.

Maybe you should look into that.

Dave
04-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've had to send a K10D for repair (with Pentax Canada) and the service was super. One week turnaround and first class work.

04-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To paraphrase my wife's philosophy derived from 30 years of SLRs is:

1. Don't break your camera.

2. If you break rule number 1, don't bother to have it fixed. Replace it.

Fortunately she has never broken a camera I recall, even her first, a Minolta, still works.

My philosophy:

If a camera is broken you will be lucky if the repaired unit comes back 100% like new. The odds may be better now vs 30 years ago but I've seen several posts on this forum from people who find a new problem when the camera comes back.

I "broke" my K100D by opening it up and removing the IR filter. I knew I was taking a chance, but no one provides filter removal services for Pentax. I sent it in for repair since buying a new K110D would put me back to where I started. The value of a filterless DSLR would justify the repair cost. I'm happy I did the repair, the camera has plenty of use for astrophotography. But the repair people in Colorado added a new flaw, any time the battery is removed it forgets its date. I live with the problem since that camera is used on the Pentax AC adapter almost exclusively except when I do occasional IR photography.

To those who have had their camera successfully repaired I'm glad it worked out for you. These are delicate cameras when opened, I found out how easy it is to break one just taking off the covers! I've serviced computers for over 30 years and there are products designed to be serviceable, but cameras are not among them.

It is better to have a dealer that replaces a defective camera then send it in for repair.
04-30-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
SDM seems to be one of the more common issue with Pentax. Perhaps it had to do with the plastic gearwheel on the motor (should have been brass imho). As to the extra problems after repair, I can only say that camera repairs aren't complicated, but these are tedious boring jobs that any slack could just damage something else because everything are so tightly packed, especially for Pentax DSLRs where the tiny wires are spreading everywhere. Any cameras can be repaired and still functioning reliably for many years, but it takes much patience and time, something no employees can afford.
05-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hmmm

some interesting responses. i dont normally like to rant...but i really am tired of it.
but...enough of that. i need to find my zen state 8)

Leo, I was thinking about you the other day I think. I remember reading your post about doing that mod on your cam....
I think I want to do some astrophotography someday when I have the money.....

thanks for the input guys.
05-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

A dSLR is such an exquisite, complex piece of precise engineering.

If it hits the concrete floor hard for whatever reason, it will never be the same again. The repairman may be able to fix the obvious damage, but don't be surprised if you never again get it back in full working order.
Some odd problems , including intermittent issues may crop up now and then.

Time to go shopping ?

05-02-2008, 05:24 AM   #9
Site Supporter

My job requires sending in cameras for repair. Would have to say the companies are all good at it. Don't find that sending a camera in for repair means it will return with another problem at all. This has probably only happened about 5 to 10 times. Have sent in hundreds of cameras. Even sent a Pentax Super Program in that had been backed over! The prism was in the mirror cavity. Horribly expensive to fix but person loved that camera and it couldn't be bought new. Imagine Pentax replaced it with a less damaged camera they repaired - don't know. Person is happy to this day.
Camera repair is much better than other electronics. Every photographer should be grateful. We have it good.
thanks
barondla
05-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax's customer service is exemplary. The product innovation is super cool with TAv and Sv modes. The wireless lighting is a breeze and almost just works itself. The ergonomics are topped by no other.

My AF button and SR functions were intermittently functioning before I ever broke a camera. My ist D started freaking on me (I forgot to mention the usb port and the video port stopped working after less than a year) and I never hurt that one.
Dont they check cameras before they send em back?

My business cant afford to spend a thousand bucks every time something goes wrong. Nor can I personally afford that.

I probably wouldnt be worried about anything if I never had to send a camera back to colorado the same hour that I receive it back from the repair shop. But now, as soon as I get this cam back, I have to send the other one to get my SDM back.
I have a backup body so that I can take it on jobs and have a backup, not so that one can be in the shop all the time......

I love pentax, so I want it in my bag, not in the shop.
05-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
not to be rude, because Im sorry your having so much trouble but from the way I read it, the secondary problems would never have happened if you hadn't broken the camera to begin with. not that im defending any shoddy work that pentax may have done.
yea exactly if it was sent back they should not damage it more accidents happen too. if pentax think they are selling durable and lasting gear they had better service it decently or start making cheap use and chuck stuff like other manufacturers
05-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

MJB, sorry to hear about the frustrations you've been having. Your recent experiences are opposite mine; both my digital and film Pentaxes have been problem-free, the latter for several decades now. However, with complex systems, so many things can happen. Connectors come loose, tolerances can stack up in one direction, a service person has an off day with your camera on the bench...and you'll flip six heads in a row about once in every 64 trials, on average, IIRC.

Sometimes it isn't anything but random variation doing its thing, in other words. Still, it can seem pretty bad when you keep betting on tails and all those heads keep coming up...hang in there, and better luck to you in the future!
05-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i went to the camera shop today to check out nikon, and i found myself holding the k20d.....

haha.
i love my pentax.

i feel like im disciplining a child: IF YOU BREAK ONE MORE TIME.....AARRRGHH!!!!
05-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #14
Site Supporter

MJB DIGITAL, you know your going to buy the K20D.
thanks
barondla