Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I use BB AF on the K-50 but leave it set to AE-Lock for video.

05-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #17

I don't have a K-30, but you could try using Manual Exposure Mode for setting exposure. That would free up the back button for focus. With a little practice, it will become second nature. Simply line up the exposure indicator with the bar scale in the view finder or use whatever method the K-30 uses to display exposure in the viewfinder when in manual exposure mode.
05-24-2014, 12:51 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
Just curious, how many use AEL/AF button on the back of your camera for focusing rather than the half press of the shutter? I know some of the models have the option of using it as a separate button making AF back camera focusing on the K-5X and the K-3 a breeze but on my K-30, I can use AE lock or AF from the button. I would love to use AF on the back of my camera but I use AE lock considerably so I wish there was a way to have both options rather than an either/or.
I think I understand your problem. On my Q I had a situation where the focus point was not the exposure point. Setting the focus on that point also locked in the wrong exposure. It would be nice to have a simple way to separate the two settings without resorting to manual.
05-24-2014, 01:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yeah, I think everyone has workarounds for most of what they use to get the pic they want. I don't know that using AV and using exposure compensation since you will be updating exposure when pressing the shutter but I can always meter with green button in M mode which is what I use a majority of the time anyways, I just wish I can lock on any exposure that I want without having to turn off back camera focusing to do it. In harsher midday sun, which is when I finally awake anyways , I usually just expose on the sky and lock exposure, This will allow me to PP and bring the shadows up since I would rather not have a blown sky with using the main subject. Oh well, I think everyone knows where I am coming from. I guess if this is what I really want, I need to move up to the K-5/K-3 to get it. I love my K-30 and it surpasses all other brands in its level but maybe I will pass it down to my wife and move up to one of the K-5/K-3, which is not such a bad thing after all. I know my wife would love it.

05-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I just treat the green button in manual mode as AE-L b/c back button focus is just too much more useful. I usually use either AV or TV mode but when I get into a tricky lighting situation, I switch to manual and just try my best to remember that I am there.
05-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I do wish it was a way to have both oprions though. I want back focus but then I dont have the ability to use exposure lock which I do use quite often to keep the sky from blowing out. In AF, you have two choices, shutter button or set up the AF in the AEL/AFL button. On AEL you only have one option and that is eliminated if you choose back focus AEL button. What an individual in a prior thread had said just use the brain in your head and that is not true. In M mode, he is correct, you could use the green button on for example, the sky, and then recompose and adjust your pic in PP since it will most likely be darker. If in other modes though, you don't have that choice though since exposure is adjusted within the camera once you hit the shutter button and the green button is not an option in say AV, TV or P mode. Also in pano pics, I lock exposure since I don't want a variation in exposure in a multi pic pano. That again is eliminated since choosing AEL/AFL to AF will mean there is no exposure lock left. I shoot in M mode a majority of the time so I guess I will use it 100% of the time in M mode if I begin using back button focusing. I think a lot of people use back button AFL but I guess they don't usually lock exposure at all.
05-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Jim were you aware that you can lock AE when the focus is locked on the K-30? I was just thinking about changing to the rear focus button to give it a try and came across the info in the manual. It may be of help to you in your situation so I thought I'd mention it.

You can find info on it on P.94 in the manual and you need to turn the feature on in the 'Custom' menu, Page 1, Item 5 (i.e. C-1-5).

If I understand the manual correctly (and I may be wrong) when you get a focus lock then the AE is locked too. I haven't tested it but that may mean you could use the AF/AEL button as the rear focus button and still get the AE lock you require. It would also mean that you get AE lock every time you focus of course which may not be what you are after.

I would also assume that you could assign the settings to a User Mode so that you can revert to normal operations when you wanted to.

Last edited by Tako Kichi; 05-24-2014 at 11:55 AM.
05-27-2014, 12:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I use BBF on my K-5 exclusively. If I need to have someone else take a shot, then I just put it to green mode and it's back to shutter half press AF.

As a side note, I also keep the body AF switch set to AF.C always. This way, I can control AF actuation and mode with a single button. Press the AF button and release it when it locks onto a stationary target (effectively AF.S mode) or keep holding the AF button and it will track a moving target. Also, since my most commonly used AF lenses are Pentax I can quickly over-ride with manual focus at any time without having to turn off AF.